Thread: The Star Wars Thread

Okay, so after I accidentally started a huge debate on the Star Wars franchise over on another thread; I realised that there is obviously a market on this site for talking about said franchise.
So here's a thread.
Rant about the prequels, grumble about the originals, speculate the upcoming movies, adore the TV shows, whatever. If it's Star Wars related, it goes on this thread. NOT the ones about the R&C movie… emoji (Again, technically my fault. Oops).

Who here's looking forward to the 2016 movie? Storyline-wise, they'll have to be very careful not to cause yet more contradictions, but I'm certainly excited by the fact that JJ Abrams insisted on using classic practical effects instead of CGI…

I want to see and like Episode VII but I'm way too afraid it will turn out like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull…
Also old Leia in slave costume emoji

EDIT: OH WAIT! Lucas sold Star Wars so he isn't writing Episode VII… how did I even forget that?
WAIT AGAIN! They're bringing back Lawrence Kasdan! Damn I'm slow… I should probably try to get my SW information from someone other than IGN.

Ugh, I was afraid you were gonna ask that. For the record, I saw these movies for the first time this year. However I had my fair share of Star Wars Expanded Universe encounters.

So let's do cheezy first. The humor in the movie is very unwanted for me. i prefer the much more serious take on the prequel. Als Chewy is my Jar Jar. No wait, I take that back. Han is my Jar Jar. Actually I don't like any of the cast.

As for cliche we have Leia and Han. Damsell in distress, Han is the ever so tough alpha male. They hate eachother, they fall in love.

It's a combination of everything. I just remember that one of my first thoughts was: "wow. With the huge fanbase I thought these were better". Sorry I can't explain the matter further. But I forgot about 80% of the movies already. I'm just quoting what I thougt back then.

And now: on to the images.

I can agree on the humour, it's not exactly the best but at least they know when not to use it.
Remember Jar-Jar? Never forget.

In terms of Han and Leia… well, all I can say is A New Hope isn't often regarded as the best for a reason.
You seriously need to watch Episodes V and VI again, most of your problems with the original movie are fixed there.

Although it really depends on what you want out of Star Wars. Dudes fighting with lightsabers and jumping all over the place or a more grounded and character driven story.

And as I said you probably already knew most of the plot twists anyway, so the fun was kinda ruined.

I actually saw V and VI twice. (FOX suddenly decided to broadcast them a few weeks after I bought them). I did like them a bit more the second time around.

What I want out of Star Wars is a neat story about both sides of the Force told through different unique characters. The original trilogy wasn't that for me and neither were the prequels. Although I did like the characters in the prequels better, even the young versions of the OT's cast. But what I couldn't find in the movies I found in the novels and video games. Which I both find a better way of storytelling than movies anyway.

Honestly I find the movies the 'ugl side' of Star Wars. I had dived into the Expanded Universe before I saw the movies. The Force isn't as strong with the movies as the novels/games. My favorite Star Wars is with no doubt the Darth Bane trilogy, written by my favorite writer: Drew Karpyshyn. I highlt recomment these, they're amazing!

User image

But what I couldn't find in the movies I found in the novels and video games. Which I both find a better way of storytelling than movies anyway.

Have you tried watching the "Clone Wars" TV series, or the newer "Rebels" TV series? Both manage to do character work pretty well - arguably better than any of the movies or games (That said, I'm slightly biased, because I generally prefer the storytelling structure of TV over the storytelling structure of movies). Not only that, but, the TV shows are both considered canon (as I understand it, the games, books and general expanded universe, aren't considered canon, but I may be wrong?), AND the TV shows try their best to fix some of the various plot-holes that the prequels created…

Yeah. I've seen the Clone Wars series and movie. I like em, but not love-like them. Novels and games go way deeper into the story, characters and even the world. Just the Darth Bane series is so detailed and give you a new view on the Jedi and Sith. The movies, the series… nah, I'll have them fly by while I keep reading novels and play the games.

Seriously, the Darth Bane trilogy… pure perfection. Every character adds something to the flow of the story.

I am in love with the old republic era in SW. I would love to see them bring back Revan in the new movies, but I doubt they will.emoji

Yeah he and starkiller are non canon now. emoji

Still waiting for the Star Wars: Unleashed sequel here. However, I'm pretty sure I already know what it's like after reading the book:

(Real spoiler, no pictures)

The real Galen died in the beginning of FU1 when Palpatine entered the room and saw Vader with him. After that you play as a clone of Galen and in FU2 you play that same Galen clone. So Juno fell in love with the Galen clone and Vader didn't lie about Galen even being a clone in FU2.

I also read on Escapist that Revan, Galen, Kota, Bane and many other are now non-canon? I simply can't believe that. Especially not Darth Bane, who made the rule of two. Without him thr movies don't make sense anymore.

Still waiting for the Star Wars: Unleashed sequel here. However, I'm pretty sure I already know what it's like after reading the book:

(Real spoiler, no pictures)

The real Galen died in the beginning of FU1 when Palpatine entered the room and saw Vader with him. After that you play as a clone of Galen and in FU2 you play that same Galen clone. So Juno fell in love with the Galen clone and Vader didn't lie about Galen even being a clone in FU2.

I also read on Escapist that Revan, Galen, Kota, Bane and many other are now non-canon? I simply can't believe that. Especially not Darth Bane, who made the rule of two. Without him thr movies don't make sense anymore.

Darth Bane HAS to be canon because he was seen in the Clone Wars, and as Yoda refered to him… "Created the rule of two, you did." So, I dont trust that info.

Indeed. I also read that the movies and series are canon, no doubt. So it would be strange if the Bane trilogy was non-canon. Although I find Disney's non-canonfying feast very unfitting. In my eyes all games and novels can easily be canon without interrupting the new movies.

Well, in next week's Star Wars Rebels episode, Luminara Unduli is consider ALIVE until Kanan finds her dead 30 years ago. The Inquister (who is NOT a sith) traps Kanan and Alladin – oops, I mean Ezra – and reveals that Kanan's master is Depa Bilaba, who was a dark jedi, and padawan of Mace Windu. Kanan's real name is Caleb Dume. I hope that nothing happens in that episode to make other forms of Star Wars Media un canon.

I can understand it when they want to make some room to breathe after Return of the Jedi. But the Old Republic era? Why the heck would you wanna make things non-canon all the way over there?! Bad move Disney, stay away from those.

Well, in next week's Star Wars Rebels episode, Luminara Unduli is consider ALIVE until Kanan finds her dead 30 years ago. The Inquister (who is NOT a sith) traps Kanan and Alladin – oops, I mean Ezra – and reveals that Kanan's master is Depa Bilaba, who was a dark jedi, and padawan of Mace Windu. Kanan's real name is Caleb Dume. I hope that nothing happens in that episode to make other forms of Star Wars Media un canon.

I don't know if Rebels is canon… I've heard it isn't.

No Dave Filoni confirmed it's canon…unfortunately.