Thread: Naughty Dog vs. Insomniac Games

Here is… something I've been planning for a long time.
Time for the grand debate. To settle this once and for all, I've prepared a series of little polls where people will vote for their favourite developer (or rather, their favourite games) and finally decide who's better.
These polls will be weekly and you vote by simply replying to this thread with a message containing what is (in your opinion) the best game out of the two at the time.

Disclaimer: Naughty Dog's early games, Disruptor, Crash Team Racing and the PS3 Ratchet & Clank games will not be in this series of polls, simply because the number of games on each side wouldn't be fair.

Alright, onto the games that will appear:

Insomniac Games

User image

• Spyro the Dragon (1998)
  • Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (1999)
  • Spyro: Year of the Dragon (2000)
  • Ratchet & Clank (2002)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Going Comando (2003)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (2004)
  • Ratchet: Deadlocked (2005)
  • Resistance: Fall of Man (2006)
  • Resistance 2 (2008)
  • Resistance 3 (2011)
  • Fuse (2013)
  • Sunset Overdrive (2014)

Naugthy Dog

User image

• Crash Bandicoot (1996)
  • Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (1997)
  • Crash Bandicoot: Warped (1998)
  • Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (2001)
  • Jak II (2003)
  • Jak 3 (2004)
  • Jak X: Combat Racing (2005)
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007)
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (2011)
  • The Last of Us (2013)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (2015)

Now without further ado, let's begin!

Week 1: Crash Bandicoot (1996) vs. Spyro the Dragon (1998)

User image
User image

Cool idea!

I myself prefer Crash over Spyro as a series. But Crash 1 versus Spyro 1 makes me choose Spyro in the long run. I haven't played Crash 1 that much and Spyro was a lot of fun when I brought my PSOne when camping.

So for me:
Spyro the Dragon

Something tells me that a forum about an Insomniac game is gonna make Insomniac win almost everytime…
I vote Spyro, while the first Crash game was fun, Spyro was certainly a much more polished experience and was certainly more fun to play.

Infact overall, I vote Insomniac: They may be lousy in areas but they mostly focus on gameplay rather than stories (you know, what games are all about) ever since the PS3 (trend kinda started happening after Jak 1) started Naughty Dog have strayed away from gameplay, while some of their newer games are fun, I find them grossly overrated. Also Naughty Dog have said they'll never do a cartoony game ever again which is a big "UGH" for me

(you know, what games are all about).

That differs per gamer. I myself choose story over gameplay, games are my movies.

I never played any of those games, but I feel more interested for Crash, so:
Crash for me

This is tricky. I think overall, Spyro was better for the PS1 than Crash (for me), but of all the PS1 Crash games, Crash 1 has to be the best. Keeping that in mind I really want to say Crash 1 is better… so I will.

This voting thing will be pretty easy to start off with, but as we wok our way towards the present, I'm going to find this get harder and harder.

Personally, I prefer Crash Bandicoot's universe, probably because I haven't played that much Spyro 1. Cool perspectives aside, Crash really shines when it comes to the graphics. Gorgeous backgrounds and silky smooth animation make this one of the best-looking titles available for the PlayStation One. The control is generally pretty good, though it is a little sluggish in some of the levels. Generally, though, Crash is a great game.

As a conclusion, I vote Crash Bandicoot, even if I also love Spyro the Dragon. So, I vote Naughty Dog.

(you know, what games are all about).

That differs per gamer. I myself choose story over gameplay, games are my movies.

Really? I mean the story is important nowdays (though that depends on a game), but what's the point of having a game with a great story, but terrible gameplay? The games should always be games first.

As to the topic - never played any of them, so I'll wait for the PS2 era discussion.

Really? I mean the story is important nowdays (though that depends on a game), but what's the point of having a game with a great story, but terrible gameplay? The games should always be games first.

Surely gameplay adds to it too, but when I ' reseach' a game, it will never be gameplay trailers, always cinematic trailers. I learn to like the gameplay. But Rayman: Legends, for example, is a great and challenging game. But it will never be one of my favorites because the lack of story.

Man, I love the first Crash Bandicoot so much, but voting for it would be unfair against Spyro. I've never played it.

Man, I love the first Crash Bandicoot so much, but voting for it would be unfair against Spyro. I've never played it.

Well you can still vote if you want.

Also, hopefully Uncharted 4 game comes out in the next 11 weeks emoji

Nah.

In other news: NOOO MY 1111 POSTS!

I would say you should vote for Crash. Sometimes you just have to support the games you love. I know my brother was in the exact same situation as you about 2 years a go. He really liked Crash Bandicoot 1 and felt as though Spyro deserved a lot of respect for what it seemed to be, although he'd never played it before. When he did play Spyro he was extremely disapointed and had wished he'd never playe it. He also encouraged me to never play it… this is when our tastes in games split paths emoji

EDIT: Oh no! It would seem i'm trying to make people side with me emoji

Well you can play a demo for Spyro 1 if you have Crash 3 sooo…

I thought that was a demo for Spryro 2. Or was that in CTR?