Thread: Really Random thread

I feel kinda bad that I keep going inactive, and how this place got a big design change, and then kind of died.

Good to see some of you stuck around.

I recently fell upon a ton of free time, so wen't back to making stuff in LittleBigPlanet, and that kinda reminded me of this place. And so here I am.

So much must have changed in everybody's lives after all of this time!

Actually you were just in time for a--sort of--revival. Granted; it's E3's influence. 

Speaking of "making stuff", you still into game development? 

E3 Has influenced a revival? I kinda imagined people were coming back entirely due to coincidence. I personally am not looking forward to this E3, Sony have usually had the best stuff for me, and now that they're out I am not sure how interesting this one will be.

That and every year I found found E3 to be less and less exciting.

I mean, Insomniac are supposedly working on something, and they've brought back my interest. I was kind of losing interest with A4O and Fuse not being so... uh lets say "replayable", then Sunset Overdrive was on a platform I didn't own, and they made some smaller PC games I didn't buy, then got into PC VR which I also do not have.

But Spider-Man and the latest R&C were pretty exciting, even if I think the world would honestly be better off without this latest R&C game.

But yea, if IG announce a Spider-Man sequel or a real R&C game I'll be hyped.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to answer your question. I still really like the idea of getting into game development, but I don't want to go back to study (especially for something in computing in this country with so few opportunities), and I kind of need a new job, so I'm not really focused on reskilling too heavily.

Exactly for that reason. But I'm hearing the word everywhere. E3 used to be thé place for some world premieres, but with Facebook and Twitch it's become so easy to host your own thing; E3 is becoming obsolete. I'm still gonna watch some presentations just for the atmosphere, though.

Why do you think the "world is better off" without the latest game? I'm guessing it's because it's made things confusing canonically?

Ah, I see. I thought you were already doing a games-related study. But good luck on finding a new place to work though!

Why do you think the "world is better off" without the latest game? I'm guessing it's because it's made things confusing canonically?

Ratchet & Clank has always been about fun gameplay, cool guns, and a bunch of interesting characters. But as a youngster I didn't get obsessive over things because they were fun, I got engrossed because they were interesting. I got into this series largely because the universe was interesting. That is not just that each game's plot was good, but that the characters were all memorable, funny, and believable. In the case of R&C1 or 2 I was interested to see who they'd meet next, and in games after this I was interested to see how the characters would develop.

In the re-imagining the characters were not funny, likeable, or memorable. I'm just not as interested in the universe playing this game than the real original game.

*watching a stream right now where IG are addressing a very similar question*

Well, I can't say you're wrong!

R&C'16 did not live up to the standards of the previous entries in that "memorability" regard, I agree. The characters that come to mind--to me-- as memorable are the Brain Scientist and Elaris. (The latter more because of the movie than the game.)

However. The gameplay was solid, the environments beautiful and the OST a perfect fit. But somewhere in there was also a story we'd already been told; told loooong before IG had even thought of the Future Saga. So storywise, it was literally taking 15 years worth of steps back on character development and world building.

Visually, the game was stunning. I felt that the character development was by far lacking in both the game and the movie though - they really had a chance to explore Ratchet's origins beyond what the original PS2 game offered, but it was kind of glossed over. 
Yea, I agree that even though R&C 2016 has good gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack, the characters aren't very memorable. Some even being annoying (*cough* Zed *cough* *COUGH* CORA *COUGH*). Let's just hope the next R&C game would be the franchise's turning point.

Anyway, I just recently played Ace Combat 7 and it was amazing. A great return to the series' epicness from the PS2 era. Any of you also play it?

Just watched Microsoft's press conference!

Obsidian is working on a new branched storytelling game which I'll be keeping my eye on. 

Microsoft aquired Ninja Theory last year (Heavenly Sword, HellBlade), but they're hopping on the Fortnite-train. Hadn't expected that. 

Jedi Fallen Order is a single player game and it's looking good! Very Uncharted'ish. Which is interesting when you think about Amy Hennig's project over at Visceral that was cancelled, yet called an "Uncharted-Star Wars".

There's going to be a new LEGO Star Wars game... I think. I honestly couldn't make out if it simply collects all previously created games or it's build from the ground up. (Perhaps Melazzee knows! Haha.). Either way, that's pretty cool.

Gears 5 releases September 10, woop woop.

Halo: Infinte looks great! I do hope it won't release exclusively on Project Scarlett--their new console coming holiday 2020--and will also have an Xbox One release. Edit: It will! Yay!

Ah, Jedi: Fallen Order looks promising. Hope EA doesn't screw this up. And there are rumors that the characters in the newest Lego Star Wars game would talk in grunts like in the earlier games. If it's true, then that's great! I didn't like the fact that they talk in the recent games.
Ah, Jedi: Fallen Order looks promising. Hope EA doesn't screw this up. And there are rumors that the characters in the newest Lego Star Wars game would talk in grunts like in the earlier games. If it's true, then that's great! I didn't like the fact that they talk in the recent games.

So it is a new-new LEGO Star Wars game then? Because I wasn't really able to figure that out. The trailer showed scenes from movies that already have a game. 

In other news, Crystal Dynamic's new Avengers game looks pretty, darn cool! Outriders from People Can Fly has caught my interest. 

And during KindaFunnyGames a game I work on had "ten seconds of fame". emoji

I guess it's a new game. But I'm still waiting for the gameplay trailer for more details.
I guess it's a new game. But I'm still waiting for the gameplay trailer for more details.

All right! If it really is a new game, then it has my interest. I wonder if Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker are going to be a part of it too. 

I'm pretty sure they said it'll include all of the 9 episodes. I actually hope they'd put some Rogue One and Solo levels, either as separate "episodes", bonus levels, or at least DLC.
I'm pretty sure they said it'll include all of the 9 episodes. I actually hope they'd put some Rogue One and Solo levels, either as separate "episodes", bonus levels, or at least DLC.

I would love seeing those movies in LEGO! But to me the title implies: just the nine.