Sujet : Sly Cooper Thread

How come Ratchet and Clank never get these types of artworks? Eh, at least our movie is coming first emoji

Ah well, it worked in games, but I wonder how will pantless Sly pass through the silver screen emoji

I never complained about the pants thing, but I guess I like him better without. His face is a little horizontal though.

His face is a little horizontal though.

They made his fur less realistic, so the fluff on his cheeks looks bigger.
Otherwise, his face hasn't changed much. He has bigger eyes and an extended muzzle, but that's about it.

User image
User image

I kinda prefer the previous design. Not that the new one isn't good, the other one is just… better. imo.

i knew this would of happned, because no one would be able to make that much detail in less than three yearsemoji

i shouldnt complain though because the atmosphere actually feels the same as sly 2

Actually it's more than possible in 3 years. Frozen, if I'm not mistaken, started developement in 2011. And was released in late 2013.

And it looked great:

User image

Most likely a bigger team and higher budget. But 3 years? It's possible to forge something great in 3 years.

i meant its hard to make an imo in just 3 years thats why i knew they wouldnt keep that much detail into slys character

The detail's there, or was there anyway. His fun looked really nice, his eyes looked alive. But now it's all a little less of that. But maybe that's because we're looking at a moodboard and modelsheet. Rather than the fina design in action. emoji

I personally like how they made Sly's eyes a bit more square.
Makes it look closer to his design in the PS2 games.

User image

The only thing I'm not really a fan of in his new design are the lips and the fur on his chin. I think simplicity fits Sly, trying to make things too detailed or too realistic just doesn't work as well as in something like Ratchet & Clank or Jak and Daxter.

Agreed. They just need to stay between the cartoony and realistic zone.

They could have done a design similar to, er, this?

User image

Thought it was near perfect, if not completely perfect.

That probably wouldn't have worked with what they were going for.
The reason Ratchet's movie designed remained relatively unchanged was because he's açready quite detailed in the games, however, no matter how you look at it, you can't tell me Sly's model in TiT is detailed since it's obviously going for a stylised cartoon art style.
Sly in the movie was going in a more… realistic route, and thus his design from TiT wouldn't work.
Now for my second reason. Ratchet is a lombax, a made up and alien species. However, most of the characters in Sly are real life animals, Sly being a racoon, so in order for this more detailed approach to work, they'd need to give Sly some more "racoon-y" features in order to not make him look odd, hence the whiskers, the lips, the ears, the teeth… (and probably the pants emoji)

There is something odd about his neck, though.