Sujet : Release of the next Ratchet and Clank Title?

Hey everyone, It has been a while since I last played Ratchet and Clank however the Game popped into my mind a few days ago while I was playing Insomniac Games new masterpiece Spiderman! I decided I would hop on here and ask you all when you think the next Ratchet and Clank game will come out and If you guys think it will be a remaster of Going Commando or a continuation of the story from Nexus or if you would like to see something else entirely?

Would love to hear your thoughts in this.

I feel like there's four options right now:

- A reboot continuation of R&C'16. Likely to mix Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal. 

- Spiritual sequel to Nexus, yet still standalone for new gamers.  

- Another reboot to the series, ignoring both the canon and movie timeline.

- Nothing, this is it. At least for a while. 

I'm affraid option A seems likely because of the succes of the reboot game and all. It brought many people back to the series in a way that the Future Saga never did. So it makes sense to see them continue that line, perhaps into another trilogy. But I'd prefer them to continue the canon timeline.  

Wait. First of all, how'd you play the new Spiderman? That games not out for a while yet. I need to know more about this.

As for the release of a new Ratchet & Clank, I don't think we'll see anything at E3, there's a pretty safe bet. And I would be surprised if we heard anything at this year's PSX, but there may be a slim chance of a quick little "Oh and Insomniac Games is making a new Ratchet & Clank we'll announce properly next year" type of deal. You know, like when they slipped it out with one of the Movie trailers back in... whatever year that was.

But I do think we will get another Ratchet & Clank in the future. Probably an announcement next year, most likely the 2019 PSX. And they'll tell us it'll be out in 2020.

These are some pretty far out there dates, but I am sure Insomniac are pretty dedicated to Spiderman at the moment, and if a Ratchet & Clank game was to be made, it'd probably start development this year. But that's a pretty wild guess.

As for what it is. I'll bet it is probably a sequel to the PS4 game, and it probably won't have a number in the title. Just some (hopefully) dirty subtitle. And I bet the main villain will be Robo-Nefarious (it feels odd having to add that he may be a robot, like as if it should go without saying). And I am guessing i'll be  fusion of the worlds and stories of R&C:GC and R&C:UYA, with plenty of new levels, but like, heaps of cut planets. However I doubt Qwark will play any sort of antagonistic role, as he is most likely to be just a good guy you work with, like in ACiT.

However what I would like would be a return to the roots. With a game with the graphics of the new games, the music of the R&C:GC/R&CF:ToD era, the gameplay of R&CF:ToD, the level designs and stories of R&C (PS2), and R&C:GC, the humor of R&C:UYA, and set after the events of R&C:ItN... wouldn't that just be perfect? Dare to dream ladies and gentlemen, dare to dream...

I wouldn't mind a sequel to the remake, but I'd much prefer a continuation from ItN or at least a whole new saga.
Wait. First of all, how'd you play the new Spiderman? That games not out for a while yet. I need to know more about this.

Convention demo? 

And "yes" to the dream. PAL regions have never had the "dirty titles" though (so neither did New Zealand?). Definitely missing out. 'specialy with our "Combustor", because Europe is fancy. 

(It's so hilarious the translators didn't get it. The PAL version says Combustor twice.)

As for the release of a new Ratchet & Clank, I don't think we'll see anything at E3, there's a pretty safe bet. And I would be surprised if we heard anything at this year's PSX, but there may be a slim chance of a quick little "Oh and Insomniac Games is making a new Ratchet & Clank we'll announce properly next year" type of deal. You know, like when they slipped it out with one of the Movie trailers back in... whatever year that was.

But I do think we will get another Ratchet & Clank in the future. Probably an announcement next year, most likely the 2019 PSX. And they'll tell us it'll be out in 2020.

These are some pretty far out there dates, but I am sure Insomniac are pretty dedicated to Spiderman at the moment, and if a Ratchet & Clank game was to be made, it'd probably start development this year. But that's a pretty wild guess.

As for what it is. I'll bet it is probably a sequel to the PS4 game, and it probably won't have a number in the title. Just some (hopefully) dirty subtitle. And I bet the main villain will be Robo-Nefarious (it feels odd having to add that he may be a robot, like as if it should go without saying). And I am guessing i'll be  fusion of the worlds and stories of R&C:GC and R&C:UYA, with plenty of new levels, but like, heaps of cut planets. However I doubt Qwark will play any sort of antagonistic role, as he is most likely to be just a good guy you work with, like in ACiT.

However what I would like would be a return to the roots. With a game with the graphics of the new games, the music of the R&C:GC/R&CF:ToD era, the gameplay of R&CF:ToD, the level designs and stories of R&C (PS2), and R&C:GC, the humor of R&C:UYA, and set after the events of R&C:ItN... wouldn't that just be perfect? Dare to dream ladies and gentlemen, dare to dream...

Oops >.<, meant to say "watching" Insomniacs new game spiderman :P guess I was so over-tired!

I like your avatar, MrSwiftey.

"yes" to the dream. PAL regions have never had the "dirty titles" though (so neither did New Zealand?). Definitely missing out. 'specialy with our "Combustor", because Europe is fancy. 

(It's so hilarious the translators didn't get it. The PAL version says Combustor twice.)

We didn't get Going Commando, it was called Locked and Loaded, and Deadlocked was Gladiator, and they dropped the subtitle of "Future" for all of those games. So standard Europe stuff.

The weird thing is that they made an exception for Up Your Arsenal. While Europe got Ratchet & Clank 3, we got a mix of Europe and the US with "Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal".

I mean our rating laws are usually not as strict as Europe, but they probably gave us the European names of the games because Australia probably didn't want them. And we're often just viewed as "more Australia"

Ah, so you did get Locked & Loaded! The UK did too, but the rest received '2'. I have both in my possession though, couldn't resist! Didn't know there was a '3: UYA' though. 
When you say both you mean L&L and 2. But what about Going Commando? The original. Can't hurt to have 3
When you say both you mean L&L and 2. But what about Going Commando? The original. Can't hurt to have 3

*looks behind her

Oh, I have Going Commando too. Must've slipped my mind. Need an Up Your Arsenal to complete my US trilogy though!

I think the next Ratchet could very likely be a sequel to the PS4 game (given it's huge success), but not necessarily a remake/re-imagening of any of the PS2 titles, at least I wouldn't want another one. People keep forgetting, that R&C PS4 was so heavily influenced by the original game because of the movie. And not just because the movie was based on the original game, but because they had like 10 months to start the whole project from stratch (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/272694/Ratchet__Clank_2016_postmortem.php). I do complain about it being a mix of everything, that's already been introduced in the series before (except for the new Gadgetbot formula perhaps), but my gosh, it is still incredible that it is such a functional mix! The story suffered badly though - the only moments, where we see some character development, bonding between the main duo in this game are in selected, often chopped clips from the movie. The movie, that already lacked in that department... I just hope that, with more time and no movie to follow, IG will find a way to fix the movieverse and give us some actual character development (heck, actual characters) this time around...

If it's gonna be a sequel to the remake, then I hope we wouldn't be stuck with Cora for so long (I'm not a big fan of her both in the game and the movie) and it wouldn't be filled with too much unnecessary talks. Also, I want to see a lot of improvement in facial movements. The facial expressions in some of the remake's dialogues were just, kinda meh. I'm not gonna fully blame IG, though. They kinda seemed to rush the development of the remake, so it's still understandable.
Oh, Cora... it seems to me, like most of the new characters were included just for the sake of giving them celebrity voices, but in the end they didn't manage to get as many. Cora and Brax just exist, they bring nothing to the table, same with Victor. Zed's a little more fleshed out, but he's a comic relief to a villain, who's already a comic relief and has two other side-villains nearby, so in the end he's just another pointless distraction from the main two. I can only see the purpose of Grim as Ratchet's father figure and Elaris is a really likeable character, pity they didn't give her more interesting design...  But yeah, the less Cora, the better, especially, if Bella Thorne is not going to up her performance from the last game...

Yeah, more animated cutscenes would be nice, but I wish they will also look back at the old games and remind themselves, that interactions with NPCs used to also be means to make Ratchet and Clank interact with each other.

Hmm... Brax, well, I might have liked him more if he were given more screentime. I just liked that when Ratchet was really hyped to do a lot of things and acted kinda childish before starting training, he calmly said "On time, rookie." Dunno, I just started to kinda like him from that point. But we had to be stuck with Cora and he had little screentime. Sigh. But I can totally agree that Elaris is really likeable. Good voice acting and, well, good character. Zed, uh, I kinda find him annoying, to be honest. Nefarious on the other hand, ooooooh yes Armin Shimerman is back with his great voice acting! I like Neffy's overall character both in the remake and movie.

And about Ratchet & Clank, well better character development wouldn't hurt but I like them both in the movie and remake.

I really like Nefarious' and Clank's characters in the movie, I wish Ratchet wasn't such a boy scout with no dark side to him, but eh, he's passable... the problem is screentime the main duo gets, the scenes with them interacting are some of the best in the movie (which gets worse with each screening tbh...), but once they get to Kerwan, their relationship stops developing in favour of Qwark's treason-redemption arc (and screentime for characters like Cora or Zed). The scene with Ratchet and Clank on Veldin after the destruction of Novalis on it's own is great, but in context of the movie... I don't buy it. When did they become so close all of a sudden? During the battle over Novalis, in the moment of their greatest peril(s), when they sould have had each others' backs (from the story point of view, to make their relationship closer) each one of them was on their own. Heck, Clank in the end might be closer with Elaris than Ratchet, no wonder they got shippers...

The game, makes the problem even worse. There is no character development, no real interaction between the main two that doesn't come from scenes in the movie, only Qwark gets some acceptable treatement, since he's the narrator. Ratchet is pretty much like in the movie, but Clank... is not a character. He is a puppet, a puppet to look shiny and play with during his levels, if people complain that Ratchet doesn't have a personality here, then Clank... has negative personality. I get they had little time, but... this was the worst writing in the official series ever, I didn't enjoy any of the characters and the laughs... I don't remember that much.