Sujet : Upgrading Chimpositron Causes Game to Freeze

Hey, I've beat this game several times already and am now to the point that the only thing really to do is to upgrade all of my weapons and am working on upgrading the hardest ones first, such as the Chimpositron, which unlike all of the other weapons, does not have an XP meter to show how close you are to leveling up. Anyway, I am working on leveling up the Chimpositron to Level 10 and it seems like every time I use it, if I use it for too long, the game freezes up on me. The first time I had this happen, was on Zanifar in the past, I was using it on the Zyphoids and got it up to level 3 and kept using it. When I just about got it up to Level 4, the game froze and I quit playing for a few months. I was just playing it again tonight and got to Vapedia where I got it leveled up to Level 7 and I continued to use it. I was getting to the point of leveling it up even further and the game froze on me again. I don't have this problem with any other weapons and was wondering if anyone else was having this problem and maybe had a solution?