Sujet : Post-Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Membre supprimé

I dunno, I just thought that it was kinda dark. Cool, but dark.

Yeah, me too! Nightmare stuff.

I was just more concerned how the lighting felt off.

Yeah Drek's death was pretty dark, but I liked it. I was surprised that they kept the plot point of the Deplanetizer destroying Drek's planet with him on it.

The gag that had me laughing the hardest was when the Blarg were texting during Victor's funeral and Drek just sent them out the airlock emoji

It's even funnier, when you realize Victor's expression on the picture is pretty much the same as Qwarks's in the UYA funeral emoji

Speaking of UYA references: "It's Meatloaf day!"

Well, I personally really, really enjoyed the movie. Although I do like the changes (Nefarious betraying Drek, Novalis being destroyed, etc), I do think it's a bit too focused on fans. The pacing of the movie is just a bit too fast for non-fans to really enjoy it. I also think that the plot is better for a game than it is for a movie, for a movie I'd expected some more… 'touching' scenes between Ratchet & Clank, they're the stars of the show after all, but most of the time you see only one of them. There are only a few moments when they are working together, and when they meet, they are, like, instant best friends. Although I don't like Ratchet's negative attitude in the original Ratchet & Clank, the friendship between the two is much better built.

So personally, on a scale of 0-10, I'd give the movie an 8.5 based off the following points:
+ Fun movie with Ratchet & Clank's trademark 'explosive' style
+ Especially the ending is really nice (the scene at Grim's garage after the destruction of Novalis)
- Plot is a bit too rushed, shift is mainly on the story and thus character development is pushed to the background a bit.

All in all I hope that there'll be a Ratchet & Clank movie/game 2, or DLC expansions for the PS4 game (think of short stories using assets and textures from the PS4 game as it is now, but with different storylines. Think of a story from Qwark, Brax or Cora's perspective, or even from a character that wasn't in the game already, such as Kaden)
So, in short, I hope the movie/game doesn't end there. What I hope for the movie/game 2:

+ Character development (such as a story about Ratchet's past, or about the Zoni, because right now the 'Zoni were responsible for the error in the warbot factory which resulted in Clank's creation', but someone who's new to Ratchet & Clank has no idea what the Zoni are)
+ More understandable for people who are new to R&C
+ Michael Bross or David Bergeaud as the componist for the soundtrack for the movie, because the soundtrack for the first movie sounded a bit too general in my opinion, it missed the 'magic' that Bross' soundtrack for the PS4 game or Bergeaud's tracks for the games had.

If you don't know what I mean by that last part, allow me to refer to these two music tracks:
Example of one of Bross' soundtracks for the PS4 game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzlj479wxU
Example of one of Bergeaud's soundtracks for one of the PS2 games (one of my favorite soundtracks):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3--FEjeipY

Listen to those tracks, and compare that to the movie OST. The movie OST is just a bit too 'mainstream orchestra music' compared to the tracks from the games, I'd love to see that style return in an eventual movie sequel. And if you think that such a style would be misplaced, allow me to refer to one more music track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCJ_BvR20QY
This track is an example of what I mean. This sort of style. Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0YB5H6Ocjg

Membre supprimé

It still makes me laugh that Victor was defeated by a cloud. emoji

User image

Okay, can we all just take a moment to realize that Clank killed Victor? Victor wasn't killed by a sprinkler system like in the game, no, Clank used the Thundersmack to kill him. I like to call that scene "Clank's Most Badass Hour".

It's kinda weird for me, though. I freaking love Victor, but he was killed by Clank, who is my favorite character. My favorite antagonist was killed by my favorite protagonist…I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that.

Membre supprimé
User image

the nef model that was used for 20 seconds. it's still amazing XD

Membre supprimé

Okay, can we all just take a moment to realize that Clank killed Victor? Victor wasn't killed by a sprinkler system like in the game, no, Clank used the Thundersmack to kill him. I like to call that scene "Clank's Most Badass Hour".

It's kinda weird for me, though. I freaking love Victor, but he was killed by Clank, who is my favorite character. My favorite antagonist was killed by my favorite protagonist…I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that.

Its just funny to think Sylvester Stallone has survived several Rambo, Rocky, Expendables movies. And here he is defeated by a cloud. emoji

…Where was Lawrence???

…Where was Lawrence???

Oh, as busy as always, Lawrence had no time to appear in the movie. He was too busy "doing laundry and whatnot." emoji

Wait, what? Victor's your favorite antagonist? The guy who's hellbent on killing your favorite protagonist is your favorite antagonst? emoji

And Clank's most badass hour… I'm not sure, there are plenty of badass Clank moments, to name a few:
- Smashing the Hypersonic Brainwave Scrambler
- Beating the crap out of the Thug Leader as Giant Clank
- And outsmarting Victor of course.

And, because it's fun, CLANKY PARTY
emoji emoji emoji emoji emoji emoji emoji: emoji emoji

So I've seen the film, and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. I certainly see what a lot of people have been saying about it catering too much to fans and not being at all welcoming to new-comers. As a long-time fan of the series, I did of course enjoy all the references and whatnot thrown in, but I don't see why they couldn't have done that while still making it more accessible. (Heck, look at Into the Nexus - It manages to have tons of references and fanservice moments, whilst still making things understandable for those who might have missed previous installments.

Anyway, accessibility aside, here are a few things I have to comment on about the movie:

-Chairman Drek is too… silly. In the game (and I mean the original from 2002, he was a clever politician who knew what he was doing and he had motivation: cash. He knew that building a new homeworld for the Blarg would rake in a lot of money, so he polluted Orxon as fast as he could to get to the point where building a new planet would be considered necessary. In the movie, he's an incompetent loony who's just doing it because… he just is.

-Also, getting rid of Drek via Sheepinator just to give Nefarious more screen-time, seriously?

-For most of the film, everyone is saying that they don't know what Ratchet is, but just over halfway through, one of the Blarg PR agents suddenly slips the word "Lombax" and now suddenly everyone, including Dallas and Juanita suddenly seem to know what a Lombax is…

-With that said, for all the talk this film gave about the rarity of Lombaxes, I seriously hope that if they get a second movie, they make it about Tachyon. Unfortunately, given that epilogue with Nefarious, it seems like they're more likely to focus on him.

-I did like some aspects, such as the fact that Veldin actually has a population; in the original game, it almost seemed like Ratchet was the only one who lived there. Sure, there were some other buildings there besides Rathcet's garage, but there were no real signs of life and Ratchet was the only one who ever seemed to care about Veldin when it was threatened, so I like that they made it a bit more populated.

-I also liked that they suggested the robots on Umbris were actually doing something to make Nefarious a robot; in R&C3, it seemed he was crushed between some gears and then somehow magically went "Shazam, I'm a robot now!"

-I seriously did not like the new voice for Mister Zurkon. I don't have a PS4 yet, so I haven't played the new game yet, but I really hope Zurkon has his normal voice in the game.

As much as I seem to be complaining in those comments, I did rather enjoy the film. I wouldn't call it a good film per-se, but it was still fun. It's just a shame I can't reccomend it to anyone who isn't already familiar with the games…

Now all I need to do is get my hands on a PS4 so I can play through the game… emoji

Clank: "I do believe I add a certain 'zing' to the table. Mee-hee-hee-hee!"

Wait, what? Victor's your favorite antagonist? The guy who's hellbent on killing your favorite protagonist is your favorite antagonst? emoji

And Clank's most badass hour… I'm not sure, there are plenty of badass Clank moments, to name a few:
- Smashing the Hypersonic Brainwave Scrambler
- Beating the crap out of the Thug Leader as Giant Clank
- And outsmarting Victor of course.

And, because it's fun, CLANKY PARTY
emoji emoji emoji emoji emoji emoji emoji: emoji emoji

Aren't all the antagonists in the series bent on killing Clank (and Ratchet)? So Victor's not much different from them.