Thread: Ratchet's Personality

(And I'm glad. Hah har har)

User image

Oh look, it's Darkstar!

Personally, I would be a bit fed to see again the same screenplay schema of offhand and disembodied hero who doesn't care much about the future of the galaxy, and who realizes gradually of his hero responsibility. From my perspective, there's no interest.

The principle of re-interpretation, as its name suggests, is to consider the same things from a new angle. They do not depict a more reasonable and empathic Ratchet just to make it cute. They do it because it allows them to develop a deeper and more nuanced character, and a more emotional story than they have done before. These are the fans who complained of the behavior of Ratchet against Clank to Insomniac who pushed them to make adjustments later, remember. TOD perfectly illustrates what I said: we have a more tender and mature Ratchet, but that does not stop him from pushing rants, especially against Clank.

I always perceived Ratchet as a kind character, impulsive but not without reason. Its evolution over the first game worked, I don't disagree, but see Ratchet with his dirty character suits me absolutely not. I'm glad they are writing their first meeting in a different way. The narrative of the first game isn't as developed as they have made subsequently with the R&C Futures, and I find it normal that they are based on the work of T.J. Fixman for the PS4 game.

In brief, The Ratchet created by T.J. Fixman is the Ratchet that I always imagined from the moment I saw the pictures of the first episode. Taste and colours are not always the same. emoji

(Sorry if you don't understand some sentences. I haven't a perfect English yet)

These are the fans who complained of the behavior of Ratchet and Clank to Insomniac who pushed to make adjustments later, remember. TOD perfectly illustrates what I said: we have a more tender and mature Ratchet, but that does not stop him from pushing rants, especially against Clank.

Yes, exactly. They just removed the mean and snappy part of him, making Ratchet more of a joker than a bully.

I hate that, though. I hate that people can look at Ratchet and say: "Oh look at him, he was being quite mean to Clank. I'm sad now, and I'm going to complain because of this."

Well it's not so much that I'm mad that someone might complain about that, but that the people at the other end could acknowledge that and admit that the character was no good.

Ratchet being a bit of a bully was great, because it's got this soft of selfish anti-hero thing going for it. But he slowly changes for the better after a few eye-opening revelations! That's the thing. This game has good character development. Tools of Destruction was far less believable than the first game, because it made no sense whatsoever for Ratchet to treat Clank the way he did there. At least in R&C1 we can see how Ratchet snapped, and figure him out.

Ratchet was unique and different in the first game. He seemed to be all fixed up by the end, and since then he has experienced very few changes in character.

Ratchet was unique and different in the first game. He seemed to be all fixed up by the end, and since then he has experienced very few changes in character.

That I liked. But at least he stayed appreciative and friendly in the sequels. But since I've already seen this developement, I'm not eager to see it again in the movie and the game. I've always wondered what the first game would be like, had Ratchet been the same as the sequels anyway.

Deleted user

So if we take our the main characters only ever notable character-changing moment at the start of his adventuring days then that fixes things? I like a bit of character development in my stories. Otherwise the characters just seem really dull.

I mean my favorite character in inFamous is Zeke. I never thought about this before, but he goes through some of the largest character-changing moments of any person in that series.

EDIT: Ratchet was more relatable in R&C1 than he was in any future game, to me.

That I liked. But at least he stayed appreciative and friendly in the sequels. But since I've already seen this developement, I'm not eager to see it again in the movie and the game. I've always wondered what the first game would be like, had Ratchet been the same as the sequels anyway.

I agree. I would like to rediscover the first episode with the new personality of Ratchet, more appreciative and friendly, in the movie as well as in the game. I'm curious and eager about this. emoji

Deleted user
So if we take our the main characters only ever notable character-changing moment at the start of his adventuring days then that fixes things? I like a bit of character development in my stories. Otherwise the characters just seem really dull.

I mean my favorite character in inFamous is Zeke. I never thought about this before, but he goes through some of the largest character-changing moments of any person in that series.

EDIT: Ratchet was more relatable in R&C1 than he was in any future game, to me.

I've never played the future series, so I'm basing my opinion on the trailers and gameplay that were shown. It does seem like Ratchet is more mature and older personality wise.

Ratchet's character arc is a big part of the storyline, I definitely agree. This is something that needs to be in the movie and game.

Regardless, there hasn't been a Ratchet game that I haven't liked and I still think they will do a good job.

Well… I'm not sure how lovable he would be in the movie, when he's the big bad bully. I wasn't really a fan of him as my character, and I'm glad Gladiator was my first game. I'm not sure if I would have been so hyped to continue playing the series otherwise.
The change is nice, but it takes too long.

Deleted user
Well… I'm not sure how lovable he would be in the movie, when he's the big bad bully.

I'm not sure how interesting he would be if they made him just the nice guy. I like the Ratchet that shows more emotion. I don't get why people thought he was so bad in the first game.

@1CJB: Yes, I agree. I never thought of Ratchet as a character stupid. He was impulsive and angry for good reasons. Now, in the new games, he isn't a teenager like before and he can cool his ardour, even if he is in troublesome situations.

To be honest, I liked the behavior of Ratchet in the first game. Now, I just want some changes about this to discover a new experience. emoji

Well… I'm not sure how lovable he would be in the movie, when he's the big bad bully.

I'm not sure how interesting he would be if they made him just the nice guy. I like the Ratchet that shows more emotion. I don't get why people thought he was so bad in the first game.

Not bad, just not better. I don't really mind it, but when I need to choose between the 2. Ratchet 2 - present is better imho.

Hm… I don't really have much too add other than that I completely agree with the 'old Ratchet side'. Ratchet wasn't a dick, he didn't start all mean, he actually was pretty cheered up at the beggining, he agreed to help Clank after all. He was getting more and more 'jerky' as the adventure went on, since, well… How do you expect him not to get angry when he keeps fighting and fighting not for his own interest and at the same time keeps missing life opportunities (hooverboarding carrer for example) and gets betrayed by Qwark. Of course he starts to act like a douchebad, but at the same time he does not actually leave Clank. And in the end, he realizes it was all for good. People call him 'unlikable' and 'jerk' just because he's an actual character that has actual (GASP!) flaws (UNACCEPTABLE, ONLY UNLIKABLE CHARACTERS HAVE FLAWS!).

These are the fans who complained of the behavior of Ratchet and Clank to Insomniac who pushed to make adjustments later, remember.

Pardon me, the Ratchet part is true (sadly), but who actually complained about Clank?