Thread: Ratchet's Personality

Deleted user
Not bad, just not better. I don't really mind it, but when I need to choose between the 2. Ratchet 2 - present is better imho.

Isn't there a reason why present Ratchet is better?

@Kubak12: I'm talking about especially Ratchet's behavior. Clank wasn't scornful and disdainful. I just misspoke.

@Kubak12: I'm talking about especially the behavior of Ratchet. Clank wasn't scornful and disdainful. I just misspoke.

That's ok emoji

Deleted user

Not bad, just not better. I don't really mind it, but when I need to choose between the 2. Ratchet 2 - present is better imho.

What I mean is, present Ratchet is better because of his experience (his character development).

H(UNACCEPTABLE, ONLY UNLIKABLE CHARACTERS HAVE FLAWS!).

If I'm not mistaken, the opposite is the rule rather than the exception. Flawless characters are concidered stereotype. *caugh every Marvel movie ever

For me personally? I like Ratchet better when he's more matured. The bully he was in R&C1 wasn't the Ratchet I fell in love with. In R&C1, he's overly renegade. Yes, I understand why and yes I know what it ment for him as a character. But I stand by what Insomniac made Ratchet into in R&C2.

Deleted user
I stand by what Insomniac made Ratchet into in R&C2.

I stand by that as well. It makes sense for him to have matured.

Flawless characters are concidered stereotype.

And that's the problem I have with modern Ratchet - aside of his design, there' nothing unusual about him.

The bully he was in R&C1 wasn't the Ratchet I fell in love with. In R&C1, he's overly renegade.

It's like my previous post didn't exist…

And that's the problem I have with modern Ratchet - aside of his design, there' nothing unusual about him.

He's quite a stumbler, get's into trouble all the time (not all of which he manages to solve), not a fantastic driver. Can't even read Lombax text!

As far as your previous post goes,
User image

As far as your previous post goes,
User image

Um… Fair enough?

Pardon me, the Ratchet part is true (sadly), but who actually complained about Clank?

I will: Clank used to be full of emotion in the ps2 games: he would have the best expressions, adorable voicing (like saying "what?!?"emoji and more sarcasm than any of the ps3 games.

Now he's just an emotionless robot who adds his two scents every 10 minutes. TJ fixman doesn't seem to care about his character as much from what we've seen, and that worries me more than Ratchet's personality.

User image
Seriously, you won't get this in any of the ps3 games.

(Hopefully this doesn't turn out too long…emoji

Ratchet's transformation from the first game to the second one wasn't actually as bad (or good depending on what character you prefer) as some people are making it out to be.
Yeah, he didn't yell at Clank anymore, but he still retained some of his flaws from the first game. He's still really clumsy, dumb and full of himself.
Heck, in Deadlocked he mutes his mic when talking to Sasha just so he can come up with something clever to say and when they're captured, Ratchet's thinking about how much money he can make. That's just something the "I've always wanted to help old ladies cross the street" Ratchet from the movie wouldn't do, he'd probably say "We've got to get out of here before we get killed!"
And granted, Deadlocked Ratchet does say something along those lines, but it's closer to the end of the game when things are actually heating up and Big Al's kinda… well, dead.

Then, in ToD, his character regressed a bit in my opinion.
Why would he get angry at Clank when he says that they need to go to Zordoom to find Talwyn?
In GC, Ratchet was willing to go through a bunch of filler and unnecessary planets just to find out where Angela was after she was captured by the Thugs. Yeah, it was kind of childish, but it's the kind of thing I'd expect a hero to do.
In ToD, he knows Talwyn's in the trouble because of her message on Sargasso. GC Ratchet would have gone straight to Zordoom, with or without the Zoni's help to figure out where she was.

ToD Ratchet cries though, and he doesn't cry because Talwyn's been captured, no, he cries because Clank doesn't let him get his hands on a super dangerous wormhole device instead of actually doing his job as the hero he is.
Of course that, by the end of the game, he realises his mistakes and is friendly towards Clank again. So it's all well and good, right?

Wrong.

Because then ACiT comes along (I'm just going to skip QfB because nothing happens in that game besides the lovey-dovey stuff with Talwyn).
In ACiT, Ratchet forgets about all of the things he learned in ToD (which he had already learned in the first R&C game, but I digress) and decides that risking the destruction of the universe in order to see the Lombaxes again might not be such a bad idea. The only difference is that now Ratchet doesn't cry for not getting what he wants since his partner actually agrees with what he's doing
He's even willing to give up Clank. Y'know, Clank, THE REASON HE WENT ON THIS ADVENTURE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Of course it's all well and good because by the end of the game he's willing to give up on finding the Lombaxes because he realises he's been a dumb idiot this whole time. But just because you've had your character admit he's been a dumb idiot doesn't excuse the fact that him being a dumb idiot doesn't make any sense.

And then there are the other PS3 games…

User image

I'll just… wait till I got something good to say. Carry on.

Yeah…too long. Good thing you didn't pick apart ITN emoji

Although Ratchet proves in ITN that he cannot be deceived, so he's not really an idiot in that game.

All 4 One gives Ratchet a chance to teach a young girl not to run into something you'll regret emoji
ITN makes Ratchet and Clank stop a young girl to not run into something you'll regret emoji

I will: Clank used to be full of emotion in the ps2 games: he would have the best expressions, adorable voicing (like saying "what?!?"emoji and more sarcasm than any of the ps3 games.

Now he's just an emotionless robot who adds his two scents every 10 minutes. TJ fixman doesn't seem to care about his character as much from what we've seen, and that worries me more than Ratchet's personality.

I meant nobody complained about original Clank, not the PS3 one. But yeah, that's worrying me too. The problem isn't even how TJ writes the character, but how much he writes him emoji After the comics Clank became… Useless. In A4O, except for that one, short speech near the beggining he did nothing to push the plot forward. In FFA, he did absolutely nothing. In ItN… Okay, ItN handeled it better (the lack of Qwark helped a lot), even though the story didn't focus on him, he still had a decent amount of dialogue as Ratchet's companion. The movie worries me though… Mostly because, well, we've heard like two, or three sentences from him… And it wasn't until the E3 gameplay was shown to public! I would've been more calm if not the recent track of IG and TJ not giving a heck about him emoji

In ACiT, Ratchet forgets about all of the things he learned in ToD (which he had already learned in the first R&C game, but I digress) and decides that risking the destruction of the universe in order to see the Lombaxes again might not be such a bad idea.

Okay, that's a little unfair. Really unfair actually. I'd like to remind you, that Ratchet throughout most of the game isn't aware of the risk that comes with using the Clock. He doesn't even know what The Great Clock actually is. The player knows, but Ratchet doesn't. Heck, there even is an in-game dialogue between Ratchet and Alister (I don't remember where), where Ratchet wonders, if you can actually safely use the Clock to travel back in time ("Of course, that's what it was built for"emoji.

You guys always point out how Clank doesn't have a lot of impact during the Future Saga. I never noticed that. Yeah, he's away for a while, but I always felt QfB and ACiT where about him. "You don't know what you have until it's gone"