Sujet : Your opinions on the “nonstandard” R&C games

We know at times, the series hasn't always stuck 100% to the formula established in the original trilogy. There have been spinoffs, alterations, or even outright shifts in the gameplay experience between titles. And when this happens, there's a noticeable backlash from fans of the series.

But the question here is; are these deviations truly harmful to the brand and its fans? Exactly how much merit do the games hold as Ratchet & Clank games, and as games on their own?
Let's discuss this and related queries.

Honestly, Insomniac should've just made a new IP with A4O and FFA. I mean, they changed pretty much everything with the jump to A4O, why not also change the characters?
I think I'd cut them a little slack since they'd be new ideas, but IG shoe horned Ratchet and Clank right in just for the $$$. They knew that a new IP wouldn't sell very well since it hadn't been established.

Also because ACiT had just released and people pretty much expected something even better. Instead there hasn't been a fully loaded, fully full R&C since 2009.

Also because ACiT had just released and people pretty much expected something even better. Instead there hasn't been a fully loaded, fully full R&C since 2009.

I'd still say that ItN is a "fully loaded, fully full" R&C, dare I say, second favorite R&C.

Its great and I love it. But it falls short on its length.

Its great and I love it. But it falls short on its length.

I think it's length is just the ammount I want an R&C game to be, I always thought GC, ToD and ACiT kinda overstayed their welcome.

For me it was over before I knew it. A mere 6 hours, I much prefer the averge of 18 hours. And when I really love a game 40 hours for just a campaign are my salvation. Unfortunately there isn't a R&C that long.

On the topic, I really like the gameplay of not A4O, nor FFA, but Secret Agent Clank…

For me it was over before I knew it. A mere 6 hours, I much prefer the averga of 18 hours. And when I really love a game 40 hours for just a campaign are my salvation. Unfortunately there isn't a R&C that long.

If they want to make a 40 hours + R&C game, they better add a TON of content, don't divide the sectors, make the radio as varied as GTA V, get around 15 different types of collectibles, make the Side-Quests and optional stuff 70% bigger than the main campaign, have some form of customization.
THAT'S a 40 hours + game.

Sounds awesome right?

Persaonlly, I think that 40 hours is a little excessive, especially for a Ratchet title (though I think 40 hours worth could be suitable for a Jak & Daxter game), but ITN was way too short! I think that ToD was the perfect length for an R&C title, it had plenty of levels and plenty of other things to do. Within the parameters of the traditional R&C format, I think Tools of Destruction is about as good as the series could get in terms of length/pacing.

Into The Nexus was very good, it's gameplay some of the most enjoyable in the series (especially the museum level, which pays tribute to tons of stuff from throughout the franchise) but it lasted no time at all. The old games used to last me at least a week, if not more, just doing a single playthrough, but I finished my first playthrough of ItN in less than a day!

Though, like I said, if a R&C game was 40 hours long, it would either overstay it's welcome, or, like Darkstar said:

If they want to make a 40 hours + R&C game, they better add a TON of content, don't divide the sectors, make the radio as varied as GTA V, get around 15 different types of collectibles, make the Side-Quests and optional stuff 70% bigger than the main campaign, have some form of customization.

they'd have to change it up so much gameplay-wise that it might as well not be in the R&C series for the same reasons that people said earlier in this thread that A4O and FFA should have been part of a new IP…

Though I wouldn't say "no" to most of those additions anyway… having ACiT space exploration but with everything in one big sector? Yes please! And customisation is something I loved about the Constructo Weapons in ACiT, I'd spend ages tinkering away trying to find the perfect combination that I liked for my weapon, and then even more time customising the colour scheme to absolute perfection! I was slightly disappointed there wasn't something like that in ITN, even if it had just been changing the cosmetic design of the weapons…

40 may indeed be a bit long for an R&C, but an example may be Final Fantasy XIII. A linear game that may pretty much be 'go & repeat', but it was just long enough to think 'Okay, I'd like that epic ending now' and there it was. Not too early, not too late.

So its possible for R&C to at least make it to the 20 hours in a future game, maybe cheat a little with the cutscenes.

Meh, I'm fine with the games as of now. Personally, I 100% ItN every 2 months. It's lenght is perfect to just "pick up and play", and I'm all in for the Vita version.

What's actually IP? (I'm sorry) emoji

Its indeed a very good game for on the go.

IP is 'intellectual property'