Sujet : Should Ratchet & Clank Be Open World?

Here’s a fun question: Should Ratchet and Clank go open world?

User image

To some people the answer would be obvious: No, why would it need to be open world? It works perfectly fine as it is right now.
This is not entirely true though.
Ratchet and Clank are not as successful as it used to be and therefore it has had a significant budget cut lately which is why FFA and ItN are as short as they are, however there is a way to easily lengthen the games with little effort or costs, focus on exploration.
Make each level last for about an hour and a half and you could make a 9 hour game by just creating 6 levels.

User image

The thing is, they’ve already done this.
All 4 One is roughly 10 hours long despite only having 7 levels. Why is this? Each level was really, really long and this meant that they didn’t need to create more assets for more levels.
The problem? It was too linear.
Critics often criticise A4O for being too repetitive, something I can’t disagree with.
How is IG supposed to rectify this? Make the levels open-world.
Instead of having shorter games because you can’t make more levels just artificially lengthen the already existing ones.
Having more optional paths, acquiring items to advance on a previous planet and just having more optional collectibles are good ways of doing this and we’ve already seen signs of stuff like that in ACiT and ItN.

User image
User image

I think levels along the lines of those in the first Jak and Daxter game would be perfect, as that game was fairly long too despite not having too much level diversity.

User image

What do you guys think?

Well, didnt FFA and ITN also have open world levels?

It'd definitely like to see open world levels, more Hoolefar Islands are always welcome emoji Seeing how the PS4 game is going to be based on R&C 1, I think we can hope for open world levels more than ever…

He mentioned ItN. As to FFA… Change the "open-world" topic. It should be "open worlds that are fun to explore".

That's not entirely what I meant, but yes, they did.
However I'm talking more about stuff like Hoolefar Island or Lumos, linear but has a ton of places to go to.

I'm not quite sure about FFA here…
I think the open-worldness is pretty much cut down by the fact that you had a base atttack every once a while.

EDIT:
T-T-T-TRIPLE REPLY!

Oh. What about planet Thram or Igliak? (You know what? let's just make it a poll!)

Aw… I remember how much hopes did I have when they announced FFA. Exploring the beautiful enviroments, finding secrets, alternate paths… And building those big fortresses no enemy will be able to trespass. Then the trailer came…

EDIT:
Thram was cool, but Igliak was the worst level in ItN.

Aw… I remember how much hopes did I have when they announced FFA. Exploring the beautiful enviroments, finding secrets, alternate paths… And building those big fortresses no enemy will be able to trespass. Then the trailer came…

Wait, where is the change between your expectations and the trailer?

EDIT:
Thram was cool, but Igliak was the worst level in ItN.

Wasnt Silox the worst? Igliak had a cool design, and even a mueseum! It was pretty awesome if you dont count the battle scene.

Oh. What about planet Thram or Igliak? (You know what? let's just make it a poll!)

Igliak feels like something left over from FFA. Way too many open but empty places.
When you play through Hoolefar or Lumos you see that you're always doing something and not just walking/hoverbooting around like in FFA or ItN's Igliak.
Thram could've done with less reliance on the Jetpack and so could've Silox…

Wait, where is the change between your expectations and the trailer?

When the trailer came, I saw, that these worlds doesn't look as pretty as I imagined them, nor they look as fun to explore. And I realized the only thing I can build are some barriers and turrets in two tunnels… Basicly, I imagined FFA as something short, but way more epic than it turned out to be.

Wasnt Silox the worst? Igliak had a cool design, and even a mueseum! It was pretty awesome if you dont count the battle scene.

Oh no, Silox was epic! And I said what I think about Igliak as a whole, which includes the battle scene. And the battle for Meridian City was WEAK.

EDIT:
Oops, forgot I posted already… Sorry for double post.

ITN gave me less expectations when I saw the trailer, and GREATER expectations when I played the game (minus the sound lag, of course)
I just feel like we're PM'ing each other on a public thread.

Oh no, Silox was epic! And I said what I think about Igliak as a whole, which includes the battle scene. And the battle for Meridian City was WEAK.

EDIT:

I cant complain. I love the muesuem part, and I just skip the netherbrutes (by glitching of course)

EDIT:

ITN gave me less expectations when I saw the trailer, and GREATER expectations when I played the game (minus the sound lag, of course)

I expected ItN to be better in some ways when I saw the trailer, but I can't complain - it was still great.