Sujet : Should Ratchet & Clank Be Open World?

Isnt this ps4 game supposed to be high budget? I think they can do it.

Let's hope SONY will want this game to be one of the PS4 gems… The movie might help here.

Ratchet and Clank being open-world? Why not? Imagine exploring Metropolis or Hoolefar. That'd be awesome. As long as they don't make it similiar to GTA. And inter-galactical travel would be nice.

R&C will never be like GTA - it's about exploring different planets, so they can't throw all their work in just one level.

They could probably make it work like games such as "No Man's Sky" or "Rodina", which allow for open-world on-foot exploration of planets and open-world space exploration all in the same map with a seamless transition. Granted, doing that may mean some sacrifices; the reason "No Man's Sky" can have a map that big and complex is because all the map will be stored on a server to free up disk space for players, and "Rodina" manages to have such a large map by sacrificing graphical fidelity.
Obviously there would be uproar if Insomniac made a "Ratchet & Clank" game that required an internet connection to play - and, looking at Insomniac's most recent games, something tells me that IG are not willing to lower graphical quality in order to improve a gameplay experience…
But nevertheless, it's still potentially a way of having an open-world game that still allows for interplanetary travel.

Isnt this ps4 game supposed to be high budget? I think they can do it.

The thing is that we don't know if that's just for this one game.
For all we know after this the Burbank studio goes back to SSO and R&C is stuck with the NC studio again.

They could probably make it work like games such as "No Man's Sky" or "Rodina", which allow for open-world on-foot exploration of planets and open-world space exploration all in the same map with a seamless transition. Granted, doing that may mean some sacrifices; the reason "No Man's Sky" can have a map that big and complex is because all the map will be stored on a server to free up disk space for players, and "Rodina" manages to have such a large map by sacrificing graphical fidelity.
Obviously there would be uproar if Insomniac made a "Ratchet & Clank" game that required an internet connection to play - and, looking at Insomniac's most recent games, something tells me that IG are not willing to lower graphical quality in order to improve a gameplay experience…
But nevertheless, it's still potentially a way of having an open-world game that still allows for interplanetary travel.

It doesn't need to be an open-world game, it could just be a linear game with open-world levels and work just as well if not better.

The only thing I seem to notice in LD24's post is the word "Rodina".
Anyway, what kind of areas could offer large maps? Cities? Dry volcanic crust?

The only thing I seem to notice in LD24's post is the word "Rodina".
Anyway, what kind of areas could offer large maps? Cities? Dry volcanic crust?

Pretty much anything, although open-world levels are usually relegated to the more natural themes in Ratchet and Clank.
I think the only thing that wouldn't work is a sewer.

Maybe a Haven city styled sewer…
Of course, why don't we just have Orxon!?

AT LEAST THEY SHOULD MAKE THE STORYLINE GOOD AND LONG. I also like to see a great space-battle gameplay. It would be great if we can together with the Space Rangers fight the Blarg space fleet. Great soundtracks are also a must for this game. (Maybe they should hire Hiroshi Okubo, Tetsukazu Nakanishi, and Keiki Kobayashi from NAMCO? emoji ) (Yes, I am an Ace Combat player, the soundtracks are amazing)

Nah, I think Micheal Bross is the man for the job!

I agree that the new Ratchet & Clank game could do with more non-linear levels, which have the player jumping from planet to planet in a non-sequential order. Insomniac were very much into this idea with the first Ratchet game. But it all died there. As Tony and Mike from Useless Podcasts pointed out, players had a hard time figuring out where to go, even if it were the lowest down, highlighted planet on the menu. I suspect this was an even bigger issue with the first game not being as simple to navigate as any of the others.

I also liked how in the first game we had a variety of different levels. We had our linear Gemlick Base, our massive secret areas in Novalis, Gaspar and Pokitaru and our skippable missions in Eudora, Pokitaru and Hoven.

I just want more variety. I want to be able to discover amasing new things in challenge mode, like in the first 2 games. I want to have open bolt-farming levels like in Ratchet & Clank 2, and I want to have completely different formulas for different worlds.

EDIT: BTW, Full Frontal Assault was one of the greatest games I played that year. And I played a lot of games that year.

Seeing Ratchet being pretty jerky by hilariously insult the villains would be great, too. Because R&C wasn't meant to be a really serious game.

EDIT: BTW, Full Frontal Assault was one of the greatest games I played that year. And I played a lot of games that year.

Oh…
Did the other games just suck?…

Oh…
Did the other games just suck?…

I didn't say it made every other game suck. I just had a really good time with FFA. It was a really fun game for me.

Here is where it ranks on my current favorite R&C games list.

1. R&C2 - Good variety of fun mechanics.
2. R&C1 - Varied level designs, that are all excellently balanced, and are amazing to exist in.
3. R&C: ToD - To me, this game has the best of the first 3 games compacted into a long HD adventure.
4. R&C: ACiT - A really fun experience the first 2 or 3 times through. I found very little replay value, unfortunately.
5. R&C: ITN - Just generally really fun, and stunning to look at.
6. R&C: FFA - My sort of game.
7. R&C3: UYA - I sure got my moneys worth with this title.
8. R: D - Fun with friend, and killing stuff is satisfying.
9. R&C: QfB - Okay.
10. R&C: A4O - A great adventure with a local friend. But unfortunately I could barely bring myself to play this game today, due to its linearity and repetitive game mechanics.

Keep in mind these are my opinions, and my favorite uncharted game is Drake's Deception, with Among Thieves my least favorite.

What is number 8 supposed to be?
Oh, I see. At least you dont even hate all 4 one. What is your opinion on size matters?

What is number 8 supposed to be?

Deadlocked/Gladiator

Oh, I see. At least you dont even hate all 4 one. What is your opinion on size matters?