Sujet : Should Ratchet & Clank Be Open World?

I didn't say it made every other game suck. I just had a really good time with FFA. It was a really fun game for me.

I know, it was just a joke in bad taste.

6. R&C: FFA - My sort of game.
7. R&C3: UYA - I sure got my moneys worth with this title.
9. R&C: QfB - Okay.

My favorite uncharted game is Drake's Deception, with Among Thieves my least favorite.

Part of me understands these are just your opinions, but...

Oh, I see. At least you dont even hate all 4 one. What is your opinion on size matters?

Size Matters is a really good game for the PSP. I couldn't say the same for PS2 or PS3 (if that were a thing).

But that's the thing, it's good for PSP. And I keep telling myself this seconds before I go to buy it for my Vita. It mostly copies the exact formula of R&C3, but re-skins everything to make it all fresh and new. I also found that Qwark's involvement in the plot was handled a bit strangely, and Ratchet was giving Qwark and Clank a hard time over virtually nothing (In R&C1 he had a reason for his jerkiness). But putting the story aside for a second, the gameplay was cool, the armour things were a breathe of fresh air (even if I never used the wrench), and overall it plays quite well, and I sunk a lot of hours into the game, which was very replayable.

I didn't put it on the list because I couldn't compare it to the other games, seeing as how I lost my last PSP copy of the game a few years ago, and it's hard to say where it ranks exactly, in comparison to the other R&C games. I imagine it would go around where Ratchet: Deadlocked is though.

6. R&C: FFA - My sort of game.
7. R&C3: UYA - I sure got my moneys worth with this title.
9. R&C: QfB - Okay.

My favorite uncharted game is Drake's Deception, with Among Thieves my least favorite.

Ha, yea that was a good cutscene wasn't it? You can't deny those games of their cinematic quality emoji

I have very good reason for liking the Uncharted games in that order, and putting UYA so low on the list.

UYA was a great game, and I'm sure it's right up there with the other greats at the top for most people's lists. But I think I just loved it to death. I played it until I couldn't play it anymore, and then I played it some more! I got 20 challenge modes into the game before I almost got the last skill point and my save was deleted. After this I started again and got another 20 challenge modes into the game before getting 100%. Even them I still poured heaps of hours into the game somehow after that.

Today I can barely drag myself through the game, because I totally played it to breaking point. It's where most of my marathons fall flat on their faces.

But shouldn't that be a good thing?
If you play a game so much that you can't play it anymore means you really enjoy it, so having it so low on the list is kind of paradoxical…

Also, what's with QfB? I know it's short but it's great for when it's there.

"I am a level 16 wizard!" emoji

I have played QfB a total of 2 times. It costs a fortune, it has no new guns, all of the enemies are enemies we've seen before, with one or 2 re-skins and 2 new enemy types. The puzzles and difficulty of the game is far less than any Ratchet game to date, and it's the shortest small game that I've ever played. It also has very little replay value.

On the plus side, it did have a really cool story, and bridges the gap between ToD and ACiT very nicely. I apretitae what it is, but for what you pay you really get very little game (even if you take price out of the question, it still is tiny).

I appreciate what a great game UYA is, but I just get very little fun out it today. That's what I'm judging the games on, how I can play them today (emphasis on "current"emoji. Its fair to argue that that is a bad way to rate games, but quite often my initial impressions of games has been blow WAY out of proportion. Almost every time I play a new game it's the best game I've ever played. So it can be hard for me to put a truly fair list together that takes all of this into account.

EDIT: BTW, Full Frontal Assault was one of the greatest games I played that year. And I played a lot of games that year.

A BAT CREDIT CARD?! While some things in FFA are well done, there are a lot of things I really am not a fan of.

First of, the controls. I'm not talking about the control sheme (that was one of the good things), but how the characters actually move. Everything is copy-pasted from A4O - the animations, the speed, attacks, that riddiculously high jump… It all worked great with A4O's perspective but here… This just doesn't feel like a 'true' third person R&C game, they should've really tweaked some things. Why can't I grab onto any ledge other that those on flying platforms? Why is the wrench so useless now (unless you make a hyper strike)? And what the heck is with those jumping pads? They didn't work on hooverboots to feel like hooverboots that much either… Luckily most of these issues were fixed with ItN.

But the steering isn't the only 'A4O curse' - the graphics. This is the ugliest PS3 R&C game ever released (which doesn't mean it's really ugly considering the series' standards), using A4O engine worked very badly for it. A4O didn't need as much detail as the other games because of it's perspective - instead, it focused on additional effects and those beautiful landscapes. But FFA doesn't get a chance to use any of the A4O engine's pros, while we can clearly see how undetailed compared to other games it is.

And now, complete with the unpolished technical side comes the campaing… IG had a concept, interesting concept that on the paper might look good… But not in reality. The worlds are not fun to explore. On Ebaro and Markazia you usually go from point a to b and the 'additional path' usually mean you just enter that little building on the left, get the weapon and move along (eventually you have to jump across three moving platforms). There's just no fun in exploring these world, discovering them - not only because of how they're designed, but also because you're too busy fighting Grungarians everywhere. Besides, fighting a lot of enemies attacking the base means you just follow one with the Pyro Blaster and wait until it's defeated. It also doesn't help, that besides getting bigger and bigger, not much changes beetwen the worlds. Yeah, there are new enemy types, but fighting them in the Zurgo's lair is the exact same thing as fighting them in Markazia's planetary defense centre.

The competetive mode is fun but… It also seems unfinished. I mean, they make a game that's mostly centered around it and all they go with are three maps, max. 4 players and 1 MODE? I'm sorry, but this is really going below the standards of the series.

There's also the soundtrack. I'm a big fan of Bross' A4O soundtrack, it's probably the best of the cinematic scores in the series (yeah, better than ACiT and ItN), but the FFA… They should've hired David Bergeaud. Really, the music has "we're making a classic R&C OST" written all over it. The only problem is, it's not David Bergead, but Michael Bross trying to imitate David Bergeaud. And failing.

With that said, I don't mean everything about the game is bad. The multiplayer is fun, the control sheme is a step forward, TJ did a good job writing this game… It just seems so… unnecesarry. Like IG was trying to release something for the anniversary, thought of fun basis of the multiplayer mode and said "that's a way to go". The thing that annoys me most about this though is how much below the standards of the R&C games it goes, the series used to have such a strong attention to detail…

Holy long post, Batman!
You really dislike FFA emoji

Personally I thought the worlds themselves were well designed, the problem was that the concept of the game, tower defense, didn't allow them to reach their full potential.

Holy long post, Batman!
You really dislike FFA emoji

Personally I thought the worlds themselves were well designed, the problem was that the concept of the game, tower defense, didn't allow them to reach their full potential.

I mentioned that as well, but…
When exploring Hoolefar Island for example, you didn't just hooverboot around - there was for example that gap that required you to move the flying platforms so that you can jump on them. Basicly, you had to do a lot more than just hold R2 and the left stick. QfB's graphics also helped. The Hoolefar island was beautiful, if just made you really want to wander around. The additional paths, or the wind turbines were also much more fun to get through than these recycled Grungarian battle segments, or these incredibly clever platforming sections: http://youtu.be/j7M1Lt3-QXY?t=2m16s

As I said, that was because it was a tower defense game.
You constantly have to go back and forth between your base and the level itself, which meant they couldn't make going from point A to B too difficult or else it'd just be tedious to play and you wouldn't be able to progress at all.

As I said, that was because it was a tower defense game.
You constantly have to go back and forth between your base and the level itself, which meant they couldn't make going from point A to B too difficult or else it'd just be tedious to play and you wouldn't be able to progress at all.

That. And the steering I mentioned. And the graphics. And the level design. It all combined makes FFA's campaing a bad experience.
Is there a topic that didn't go off-topic on this forum?

I keep complaining about FFA, but as I look at it… It had a really nice art direction actually.
http://yancyyoung.blogspot.com/

I just want that HUD emoji

4 players and 1 mode? Sounds like All 4 One to me! But seriously, your hatred of FFA is earned :oui:

4 players and 1 mode? Sounds like All 4 One to me! But seriously, your hatred of FFA is earned :oui:

The word 'hate' isn't the best one to describe my feeling about it… I just don't like it more than any other R&C game, but I don't hate it.

Sorry if im too late for this but am i the only one who knows what kubak is sayin hes sayin that its not the best ratchet and clank game but its still goodemoji