Sujet : Your Top-10 Movies

Since we regularly talk about movies, I was wondering: what is your personal top-10 favorite movies?

My own top-10 with 1 movie per franchise

10. Ratchet & Clank (2016) - IMDb 5,8
When the galaxy comes under the threat of a nefarious space captain, a mechanic and his newfound robot ally join an elite squad of combatants to save the universe.
User image

09. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - IMdb 6,5
Nineteen-year-old Alice returns to the magical world from her childhood adventure, where she reunites with her old friends and learns of her true destiny: to end the Red Queen's reign of terror.
User image

08. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983) - IMDb 8,4
After rescuing Han Solo from the palace of Jabba the Hutt, the rebels attempt to destroy the second Death Star, while Luke struggles to make Vader return from the dark side of the Force.
User image

07. Frozen (2013) - IMDb 7,6
When the newly crowned Queen Elsa accidentally uses her power to turn things into ice to curse her home in infinite winter, her sister, Anna, teams up with a mountain man, his playful reindeer, and a snowman to change the weather condition.
User image

06. You're Not You (2014) - IMDb 7,4
A drama centered on a classical pianist who has been diagnosed with ALS and the brash college student who becomes her caregiver.
User image

05. Snow White & the Huntsman (2012) - IMDb 6,1
In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.
User image

04. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - IMDb 6,7
A dark force threatens Alpha, a vast metropolis and home to species from a thousand planets. Special operatives Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the marauding menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.
User image

03. The Shallows (2016) - IMDb 6,9
A mere 200 yards from shore, surfer Nancy is attacked by a great white shark, with her short journey to safety becoming the ultimate contest of wills.
User image

02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - IMDb 7,9
A soldier fighting aliens gets to relive the same day over and over again, the day restarting every time he dies.
User image

01. Alien (1979) - IMDb 8,5
After a space merchant vessel perceives an unknown transmission as distress call, their landing on the source moon finds one of the crew attacked by a mysterious lifeform. Continuing their journey back to Earth with the attacked crew having recovered and the critter deceased, they soon realize that its life cycle has merely begun.
User image

Honorable mentions
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Silence of the Lambs, Aliens, The Hunger Games, Maleficent, The Other Woman, Miss Congeniality…

Here goes mine:

10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II (2011)
User image

9. 9 (2009)
User image

8. Battle for Terra (2007)
User image

7. Ratchet & Clank (2016)
User image

6. Legend of the Guardians (2010)
User image

5. Shanghai Knights (2003)
User image

4. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
User image

3. Star Wars: Episode VII (2015)
User image

2. Enemy at the Gates (2001)
User image

1. Zootopia (2016)
User image

So yeah, I'm mainly a fan of animated movies and action movies (especially those set during WW2).

Honorable mentions:
1. Titan A.E.
2. Anastasia
3. Pee Mak Phrakanong
4. Treasure Planet
5. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
6. Mulan
7. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
8. Tangled

I had to really think hard on this one because I don't watch movies as much as I used to.

#10 Howard the Duck (1986)

#9 Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000)

#8 Deadpool (2016)

#7 The Fast and The Furious (2001)

#6 The Evil Dead (1981)

#5 The Crow (1994)

#4 The Dark Knight (2009)

#3 Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

#2 Zootopia (2016)

#1 Ratchet and Clank (2016)

Can't think of any honorable mentions off the top of my head.

There's just so many movies that I like and it's pretty hard for me to sort all of them out without blowing a fuse. Plus I'm more of a game guy, so I'll just put the ones I like most out of my own collection on the list if that's fine with everyone.

1: Star Wars (Ep. "V"emoji: The Empire Strikes Back
2: Team America: World Police
3: Mad Max: Fury Road
4: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
5: Deadpool
6: Predator
7: First Blood
8: Star Wars (Ep. IV: A New Hope((Friggin' prequels))
9: Braveheart
10: Ghostbusters (I don't think I have to say which one)

It is hard to order them into a list from best to worst, because I just have groups of 9/10 movies, and groups of 8/10 movies, so it's hard to pick and choose which ones are better than the others.

I would go with:

12. Silence of the Lambs (1991)
An inexperienced little girl gets put on a really hard case to find an incredibly dangerous serial killer. She gets help figuring out the baddie from another even badder baddie named Hannibal Lecter. Don't tell me you've never heard of him before!
User image
11. Alien (1979)
Sigourney Weaver's original space outing was supposed to be a simple mining mission, but it goes horribly wrong when they find evidence of alien life on some creepy little moon. Could this be her last? No, because there is a sequel to this movie, silly.
User image
10. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996)
Beavis and Butt-Head are just a couple of stupid idiots that get pulled and pushed all across america as they unknowingly transport experimental biological weapons of mass destruction between a couple of shady criminals. Will they manage to evade the FBI long enough to make the drop without destroying half the country? Probably not.
User image
9. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988)
There is this cop named Frank Drebin, and he is really useless. If he is lucky he might manage to stop the bad guys before they do something horrible like assassinate the Queen of England. He is pretty funny to watch, though.
User image
8. Pulp Fiction (1994)
This one is a bit hard to explain. But basically it follows the adventures of a couple of very naughty criminals, that are really quite cool guys, and some boxer that gets into a bit of trouble with the baddies.
User image
7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
IMDb sums this one up well enough: "King Arthur and his knights embark on a low-budget search for the Grail, encountering many, very silly obstacles." John Cleese. 'nuff said.
User image
6. RoboCop (1987)
It's the not-to-distant future, and Detroit has really gone to hell. Crime is everywhere, and the big crime boss is trying to rid the city of cops, and doing a damn fine job at it, and most of the cops in the city are about ready to ditch. Good thing some tech company revives a near-death good cop, and turns him into a merciless killing machine to put an end to the bad guy's evilness. The real question is whether there is still a human within poor RoboCop?
User image
5. Kill Bill (2003-2004)
There were once a group of incredibly deadly assassins at the command of a man named Bill. Bill was a naughty boy and had his favourite assassin (and girlfriend) murdered by the others, when she ran away with another man. Too bad a bullet in the head wasn't enough. After a nice little coma she comes back, too bad her unborn child wasn't so lucky. So she gets ready to take down every single assassin one-by-one, before finally finishing the job, and killing Bill… at least, that is the plan.
User imageUser image
4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
This movie features the three deadliest men in America in search of the ultimate stash of treasure. Only one man will walk away with the treasure, and it could be anyone. I have my fingers crossed for Clint Eastwood though, because it's Clint Eastwood.
User image
3. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
Disclaimer: Watch The Terminator (1984) first. The setting: As humans develop incredibly advanced AI and weapons technology, they make the mistake of linking the two together. Sadly for humans, the AI decides that it would like to destroy all the humans on Earth, and wages war against us. The good news is that the human resistance manages to rise from the ashes of nuclear war and, thanks to resistance leader John Conner, destroys the evil AI, Skynet. But as a last-ditch effort Skynet sends two Terminators back in time to Assassinate John Conner before he was born, and then again when he was just a kid. The resistance manages to match this by sending a soldier, Kyle Reece, and their own re-programmed Terminator back as well. Therminator 2 features the second wave of the time-travelling warriors in the inredibly gripping finale to the Terminator duology.
User image
2. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Some guy gets thrown in jail, and this movie follows the events of this guy, Andy, and his mate, Red, who was in jail long before him. Will the hope of getting out someday to see the outside world destroy Andy and send him crazy, or will he learn to accept the prison environment as Red has?
User image
1. Inglorious Bastards (2009
It's World War II, and Hitler is up to the usual trouble. But this movie follows a specific little sub-plot you may not have heard of before. The plot that involves a special group of American-Jew soldiers looking to assassinate some evil Nazi commanders in occupied France. They better watch out though, because one of the Nazi-men is a clever and down-right creepy one, sniffing around France for some hidden Jewish rats to snuff out.
User image

Thanks guys, this is really fun to read! I see several Zootopia's, since it has released on BluRay I might be seeing it in the near future.

And Ruler, may I complement you on your awesome classics list!

Thanks, HeatherGrace! I do really appreciate some of the good classics. I find some of the modern-day remakes of movies like RoboCop and Total Recall very hard to endure, as they are just pooping all over movies I love so much.

The movies I generally like the most are from before I was born, but I know there are still so excellent modern movies out there emoji

EDIT: You guys had some really nice lists too, some movies you others had listed that I definitely appreciate include HeatherGrace's Aliens, Ankadewo's Saving Private Ryan, and Obsidian Goober's Predator & Team America: World Police.

Thanks, Ruler! Actually, it's been a long time since the last time I watched Saving Private Ryan, but I still remember the D-Day landing scene. And Inglorious Basterds, never fully watched the movie, but I've seen the ending on YouTube. It was rather satisfying and tragic at the same time.

(…emojiappreciate include HeatherGrace's Aliens

I can talk about the Alien franchise for hours! There isn't a movie or game that has a stronger look&feel than Alien. The sets, the ships, the sounds… it is all so darn recognizable. Have you played Alien: Isolation? Cause it was spot on!

(…emojiappreciate include HeatherGrace's Aliens

I can talk about the Alien franchise for hours! There isn't a movie or game that has a stronger look&feel than Alien. The sets, the ships, the sounds… it is all so darn recognizable. Have you played Alien: Isolation? Cause it was spot on!

It is sad that every person I know and meet has not seen Alien. And there was one that says that has seen it but didn't really like it and I am like "But why?"

Most people I know haven't seen it either, but they know of it. emoji

I actually haven't played Alien: Isolation. I do plan on giving it a go at some point, as everyone seems to love it.

The people I tell about Alien often get the wrong impression from the title. I try to explain that it is a serious thriller movie, but they just get the wrong idea, and don't want to see it at all, because they think it will be like E.T. or something.

Isolation is sublime! Gorgeous game where you play as Amanda Ripley. Definitely captures the thrill of the final scenes! And if you like books, there's a whole library of master works out there. The Alien franchise may be old, but it is still supported. Looking forward to Covenant and especially Alien 5!

I have only actually seen the first 2 movies plus Prometheus. My family told me that the first 2 were the best, and I know nothing about Alien 3.

I found Prometheus to be incredibly similar to the first movie… perhaps too similar. For this reason I kind of struggle to be that excited for Prometheus 2. But I will watch it, and I am sure I will like it.

I have not read the books. I generally don't read books. I like to think it would be good for me to read more books, but I just like the idea.

Isolation is sublime! Gorgeous game where you play as Amanda Ripley. Definitely captures the thrill of the final scenes! And if you like books, there's a whole library of master works out there. The Alien franchise may be old, but it is still supported. Looking forward to Covenant and especially Alien 5!

There is also one more movie after covenant for one full prequel trilogy. Hey wait, that reminds me of something…