Thread: Where Are You From?

I live in the U.S. as well, and have lived here my entire life, though I've lived on opposite sides of the country (but never in the middle). The only time I traveled outside of the U.S. was when I visited Japan. I'd love to travel more! But you know… money.

I have never seen either the Atlantic or the Pacific. I've lived in the same place for practically my whole life. And no kidding about the money.

I've been to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (I live a few minute's walk from the Pacific right now) and the latter ocean is definitely nicer IMO. Though… I can't swim, lol. But the ocean is still nice to look at. I go running along the ocean cliffs every other night. I live in a beach town, which is pretty neat overall, but sometimes I wish I lived somewhere else.

Whats your favorite part about where you live?

@Lumi: A travel group sounds like fun, if only such a thing were cheap and easy to organize!

No joke, and Finland! What is the warmest it gets in Finland over the year? And yes, it seems that there is too much to see in one lifetime, unless you had the money of course, but I don't know of anyone who has that kind of money.

Let's have a lecture about the climate in Finland…
The warmest time of the year is around July and August when it's usually around/higher than 10°C but can be as warm as over 30°C.
In contrast, the coldest time is usually from November/December to March/April when it's usually below 0°C but it can go as low as -40°C.
So yeah, it's not completely arctic over here even though there's snow for almost half of the year and barely sun for a few months (a couple of hours, but in northest Lapland there is like none at all during that time emoji ). Again, in contrast, the sun won't go down during summer.

And yeah, I wish I had the money I need in order to "conquer the Earth"… Not going to happen but one can always dream, right?

@Lumi: A travel group sounds like fun, if only such a thing were cheap and easy to organize!

You said it!

I want a seat at the window!

I've been to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (I live a few minute's walk from the Pacific right now) and the latter ocean is definitely nicer IMO. Though… I can't swim, lol. But the ocean is still nice to look at. I go running along the ocean cliffs every other night. I live in a beach town, which is pretty neat overall, but sometimes I wish I lived somewhere else.]

Did you mean that the Pacific was nicer? (And no biggy about the swimming thing). I've always seemed to think that I would prefer the east coast over the west. What exactly are the big differences? I live in the south, about an hour's drive from the Gulf of Mexico. What's my favorite thing? I can't find much to choose from that is distinct about where I live other than that they say we have the best chicken and sweet tea and that I can get away with using the phrase "southern hospitality." I don't care for the weather though.

Let's have a lecture about the climate in Finland…
The warmest time of the year is around July and August when it's usually around/higher than 10°C but can be as warm as over 30°C.
In contrast, the coldest time is usually from November/December to March/April when it's usually below 0°C but it can go as low as -40°C.
So yeah, it's not completely arctic over here even though there's snow for almost half of the year and barely sun for a few months (a couple of hours, but in northest Lapland there is like none at all during that time emoji ). Again, in contrast, the sun won't go down during summer.
And yeah, I wish I had the money I need in order to "conquer the Earth"… Not going to happen but one can always dream, right?

I like some lectures! I will be sure not to visit during July or August. I try to avoid heat. -40 sounds fun to me. I didn't know that the sun stayed for that long there as it does in Alaska. I assume you've grown very use to that as far as going to sleep and all, right?
And about that travel trip together…I call shotgun! I'm lazy and don't want to drive. I'll leave that to Chocolate.

I want a seat at the window!

I call shotgun! So you still get your window seat. *laugh*

I've been to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (I live a few minute's walk from the Pacific right now) and the latter ocean is definitely nicer IMO. Though… I can't swim, lol. But the ocean is still nice to look at. I go running along the ocean cliffs every other night. I live in a beach town, which is pretty neat overall, but sometimes I wish I lived somewhere else.]

Did you mean that the Pacific was nicer? (And no biggy about the swimming thing). I've always seemed to think that I would prefer the east coast over the west. What exactly are the big differences? I live in the south, about an hour's drive from the Gulf of Mexico. What's my favorite thing? I can't find much to choose from that is distinct about where I live other than that they say we have the best chicken and sweet tea and that I can get away with using the phrase "southern hospitality." I don't care for the weather though.

Yep, I like the Pacific more, in terms of the ocean/beaches and stuff. The beaches I went to in the east (some in New York and some in New Jersey) weren't all that nice, from what I can remember, and the ocean itself just felt kinda… ickier, I guess? I was younger then though, so I can't remember all that well. I like the beaches better here in California, like the sand and air and trees seem nicer, and the ocean seems better too, even though I don't really go in it, lol.

And sure, I'll drive, though I don't know how far we'll get in a car when it comes time to leave the country haha.

I'm also from Finland as I've mentioned earlier elsewhere. I've been to the UK, France, Greece, Holland/NL, Czech rep., Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, Estonia, Norway and Sweden. So, I've never been outside the Europe.

What is the warmest it gets in Finland over the year?

The record from a few years ago is 37.2°C, or 99°F. Generally the temperatures rise over 30°C (85°F) at least a few times during the summer, maybe even in Lapland in the north. Sometimes there are longer periods of days in July when it happens every day in the south.
On the contrary, winters are pretty cold, in the north it drops below -40°C (-40°F) at least a few times a winter, the recorded lowest temperature at state weather stations is -51.5°C (-60°F). In the south it drops only around -30°C (-20°F) at the absolute minimum, some years ago the lowest over the whole winter was -13°C (8°F).

Yep, I like the Pacific more, in terms of the ocean/beaches and stuff. The beaches I went to in the east (some in New York and some in New Jersey) weren't all that nice, from what I can remember, and the ocean itself just felt kinda… ickier, I guess? I was younger then though, so I can't remember all that well. I like the beaches better here in California, like the sand and air and trees seem nicer, and the ocean seems better too, even though I don't really go in it, lol.
And sure, I'll drive, though I don't know how far we'll get in a car when it comes time to leave the country haha.

I guess I can see why the Atlantic would be ickier those north-east areas. I've heard the further down south the coast you go the better the water gets. And I can see why the air and water in California would seem nicer, too. I bet weather over there is dry unlike over here where it's humid. And I figured we could just bring the car with us overseas. And we'd have to quickly adjust to driving on the other side of the road.

I'm also from Finland as I've mentioned earlier elsewhere. I've been to the UK, France, Greece, Holland/NL, Czech rep., Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, Estonia, Norway and Sweden. So, I've never been outside the Europe.
The record from a few years ago is 37.2°C, or 99°F. Generally the temperatures rise over 30°C (85°F) at least a few times during the summer, maybe even in Lapland in the north. Sometimes there are longer periods of days in July when it happens every day in the south.

On the contrary, winters are pretty cold, in the north it drops below -40°C (-40°F) at least a few times a winter, the recorded lowest temperature at state weather stations is -51.5°C (-60°F). In the south it drops only around -30°C (-20°F) at the absolute minimum, some years ago the lowest over the whole winter was -13°C (8°F).

I'll say again, you have been to so many places! Sure they're all in the same small continent but so many! F.Y.I. You've lived some Americans' dreams…hmm that sounded weird. Oh well.
The thought of it being 99°F in Finland sounds strange. Now 51.5°C…that is cold, my friend.

I guess I can see why the Atlantic would be ickier those north-east areas. I've heard the further down south the coast you go the better the water gets. And I can see why the air and water in California would seem nicer, too. I bet weather over there is dry unlike over here where it's humid. And I figured we could just bring the car with us overseas. And we'd have to quickly adjust to driving on the other side of the road.

Yeah I figure the coast must be nicer further south of the Atlantic like in Florida. I'd say depending on what part of California you're in, you'll find some parts are more humid/more dry than others.

Maybe we should fly a balloon around the world instead, that way we won't have to worry about adapting to foreign traffic. And everybody gets a window seat!

I live in Belgium (Europe) and I would like to go to the U.S. emoji I've already been in Egypt, France and 3 times in Spain.]

Outside of Europe, I would love to go to Egypt. I want to learn more about Belgium. And could you tell me why you want to come to the U.S.?

I live in the U.S. as well, and have lived here my entire life, though I've lived on opposite sides of the country (but never in the middle). The only time I traveled outside of the U.S. was when I visited Japan. I'd love to travel more! But you know… money.]

I have never seen either the Atlantic or the Pacific. I've lived in the same place for practically my whole life. And no kidding about the money.

I live in Portugal (Spain's butt) and am going to the US in 5 or 6 years. Although if I had the money I'd make trip around the globe and visit all the places that inspired the levels in Sonic Unleashed.]

A U.S. comer too, huh? I've never played a single Sonic game. Start throwing the stones!

I come from a land down under.

I was just watching a show that was all about Australia.

The land of windmills, cows and wooden shoes.]

Like Gerben, I was going to say maybe the Netherlands.

I come from Poland and I visited quite a few other countries - I was in Denmark (and Bornholm), Great Britain (London), Germany (Berlin), Bulgaria and a few Greek islands. But I've never found myself outside Europe emoji]

Just studied Poland in History class, although it was brief. But you've been to a lot of cool places though. I've never left my country so you have me beat.

I come from France and , sometimes , i visit several times Spain during my summer holidays emoji
I would like to go in some English-speaking countries because i love this language and i like to do sightseeing. The countries that i should visit are : England ; United States ; Canada and maybe Australia emoji Those countries will be able to me doing speak great english or américan !]

I've heard that English is the hardest language to learn. I am required to take a few language classes for my degree so if I am to learn another language I will choose to learn French. And I would love to visit multiple places in France! Always feel welcome to come to the U.S.!

It's nice how this site reaches and gathers people from many countries.
Anyway, I reside in Northern Europe, Finland (Central Finland at the moment, to be exact).
I've only been in France and a couple of times in our neighbouring country, Sweden. I would like to visit a plenty of places, explore and get to know the world better. There's just so much to see in our wonderful planet. Since most of us seems to be interested of the world, maybe RatchetGalaxy should do a "group travel" around the globe, haha (don't take this seriously).

No joke, and Finland! What is the warmest it gets in Finland over the year? And yes, it seems that there is too much to see in one lifetime, unless you had the money of course, but I don't know of anyone who has that kind of money.

I live in France. On the other hand, I'm a french member. emoji]

I know I keep saying I'd love to go there and there but It's all true. France is high on the list for me to visit.

Im from England, UK, Im from the East Midlands, YAY!]

Yay U.K.! East Midlands meaning around Derby, right?

If u class Kettering as near to Derby then yea, I am

How was it?

Yeah I figure the coast must be nicer further south of the Atlantic like in Florida. I'd say depending on what part of California you're in, you'll find some parts are more humid/more dry than others.
Maybe we should fly a balloon around the world instead, that way we won't have to worry about adapting to foreign traffic. And everybody gets a window seat!

Dry air is so much nicer in my opinion.
And better yet, if you were referring to taking a hot air balloon, we could take a dirigible and add some extra space with a balcony. Much thought is being put into this.

How was it?

I thought it was neat. It was a show called "The Coolest Places on Earth" and the episode was "Australian Adventure."
It talked about the best cities to visit, landmarks, and such. I remember it talking about Sydney, Melbourne, the Barrier Reef, and touching a bit on Ayers Rock. I can't find it online though, otherwise I would go into better detail for you.

And better yet, if you were referring to taking a hot air balloon, we could take a dirigible and add some extra space with a balcony. Much thought is being put into this.

I did mean a hot air balloon yes. We could even make it a Meowth balloon and dress up like Team Rocket for good measure, but I don't know how welcome Team Rocket would be in some countries. I wonder which real-world countries would have which Pokemon… (wanders off-topic)

I did mean a hot air balloon yes. We could even make it a Meowth balloon and dress up like Team Rocket for good measure, but I don't know how welcome Team Rocket would be in some countries. I wonder which real-world countries would have which Pokemon… (wanders off-topic)

*Laugh* I not sure how some places would react to a Meowth balloon either. It would be fun though to go about it that way. And besides, it's all about traveling so it's still relevant!

I come from the Emerald Isle.