Thread: Can A UK PS3 Play USA PS3 Games?

uhm, i think it should work. They are, after all, the same operating system.

They are, after all, the same operating system.

Not necessarily. IIRC, there are two versions; NTSC, and PAL. If you have the PAL PS3, then you'll be able to play games petty much fine, however you will also need the PAL correct TV. Most games are region free, however I will do a bit more research onto it. It will probably not display NTSC movies well though, but again I'll look into it…

EDIT: Assumptions seem correct–you can play PAL and NTSC games on a PS3, since they are region free. However, movies aren't, sadly.

EDIT PART DEUX: The only thing that will suck is that if you have a collection of NTSC games from the PS2 and PSuno they won't be backwards compatible with you PS3.

EDIT TRES: As long as you TV supports the FPS needed. So if you have a PAL game and a NTSC PS3 you will need HDTV (Component or HDMI) to play the title. Vice versa as well. Just make sure your TV has Progressive scanning in either HDMI or component, with either one of those.

PS3 games are region free which means that you should be able to play games bought in the US on a UK machine with a problem (the only slight issue being that US games work on NTSC and UK games on PAL, but that should only affect it if you're playing in standard definition)

As for DLC, that's something I really don't know I'm afraid.

You're kidding right? I'd need a hi-def TV to play the US Special edition of LBP2? Why can't there be a universal format ratchet rhan NTSC and PAL being separate emoji
Or; they could put the R&C and J&D costumes in the EU collectors edition and then everyone would be happy, but no, America get's more for the SE even though LBP is made in the UK emoji

You don't exactly need a high def TV, rather one that has the scanning so it'll play well.

I tried playing an american disc in my one and it messed up my PS3,so now i don't bother buying games foreign anymore.

I tried playing an american disc in my one and it messed up my PS3,so now i don't bother buying games foreign anymore.

PS3 is region free…

PS3 is region free…

Yeah i know but there was something messed up in the disc,i learned my lesson never to buy from dodgy ebay sellers.