Thread: Realistic Ratchet

Hai guys! emoji

So, I painted a picture the other day of a realistic Ratchet (or what I thought he would look like if he were real). I made him more cat-like than he is in the games, mainly because lombaxes are based on cats. So, the ears ended up being big pointy triangles (this also being because in the game, Ratchet has no ear holes O.o), and having more rounded eyes.

Since I've uploaded it to various sites (namely dA and fA), I've had a few people pretty much accusing me of drawing them wrong. Someone even said: Stop trying to pass your cats off as lombax's!
This made me think… I wonder what everyone's different interpretations of real lombaxes are?

If a lombax were to exist in real life, what do you guys think they would look like? Even better if you can post a pic!

Deleted user

From what I see on your recent avatar of realistic Ratchet, it's pretty unique and cool. it's different to see r&C fan work go on this take rather than seeing many generic fan art done by the younger fans. In results, I accept the style of the drawing.

I assume people may not like the cat concept because it's such an overrated animal to use in many artworks. That, or they just don't like Ratchet to be in a different style. emoji

Deleted user

Well yeah I can see why some fans wouldn't like the realistic cat verson of him. Because it kinda makes the lombax concept seem a bit too 'normal and earthlike'. I remember Insomniac's saying on their forum that his ears are the way they are, because they're 'meat flaps' emoji (ok Im sure they were joking about that anyway, like with Angela's hair XD)

I think if you made the ears a bit longer and kept his stripes, then people wont complain as much. But then again, a few R&C fans are close minded. Like some fans are when somebody who doesnt draw lombaxes all the time comes into the fandom. It's just something you have to deal with :S

I can sorta imagine a realistic lombax in my style, I just dont have time to draw these things at the moment though XD

Well, the person came back and started accusing me of "forcing my cats into RaC groups" :P

I guess people are just used to seeing the more normal style (the cartoony style). Like, I guess it would be the same if someone started drawing realistic Sonic. "He is not a hedgehog… like that!" :P

Haha, lol at Insomniac's "meat flaps" comment :P I'm planning on doing an Angela Cross one since I don't draw many females, her hair will be an interesting challenge! I did an Azimuth one, but I think I screwed it up… his head is such a unique and funny shape, it was really hard to make "realistic". I'm currently working on oOwhiplashOo's OC character, Ziggy.

Tara, it would be really interesting to see in your style! I wonder what Ace would look like "realismed"? I wonder what creature he resembles the most. Maybe a dog?

Actualy, Lombaxes Do have ear holes, in the cutscene just before you enter the court of Azimuth, Ratchet rubs in his ear, this indicates that his entire ear hole might be covered up with fur

I think their head would be more round, and they are noted to be Aliens, not Animals

I would love to make one myself but… thats is far beyond my capabilities… (Yet)

Actualy, Lombaxes Do have ear holes, in the cutscene just before you enter the court of Azimuth, Ratchet rubs in his ear, this indicates that his entire ear hole might be covered up with fur

I think their head would be more round, and they are noted to be Aliens, not Animals

I would love to make one myself but… thats is far beyond my capabilities… (Yet)

Hmm… maybe. It's a bit weird though, he must have pretty bad hearing, haha XD I noticed something funny though. Angela Cross has proper earholes, which made me think of a funny theory. Maybe the females have better hearing than the males?

And I agree with the roundness part, maybe I'll do a redesign of my versions and see what I can come up with ^^

Geinea Lombax :This is Geinea Lombax speaking the sister of Lepy Lombax. Read the "Introduce Youself" for more info about me please. :oui: First of all that is the cutest attempt of a real Lombax I've seen Melazzee! The people who said mean things about this needs to learn to keep their stupid pieholes shut! emoji( And as for if Lombaxes were real, in my point of view, this may be disturbing to all of you, they will either be in jerboa or springhares family which are tiny Lombax-like animals in the rodent family. Why you may ask? Well after studying the Lombaxes and researching what family of animals they could be in, I realise how close Lombaxes and jerboas/springhares are after 3 months of researching. I discover how Lombaxes can lack some very important things that cats need, but somehow have jerboas or springhares like parts such as their big feet and tuff tails. You just really need to pay VERY close attention to see the similarities. Other then that, animals are awsome! I need to go now see ya! P.S. Keep making those cute cat like pictures it's brilliant! emoji

Hmm… maybe. It's a bit weird though, he must have pretty bad hearing, haha XD I noticed something funny though. Angela Cross has proper earholes, which made me think of a funny theory. Maybe the females have better hearing than the males?

And I agree with the roundness part, maybe I'll do a redesign of my versions and see what I can come up with ^^

Lets assume their ears work differently then any animal found on earth maybe they don't have ear holes .Maybe the tissue that makes up their ear are sensitive to sound.

Perhaps their large ears and tails are used to distinguish them from the females….the way a male Lions mane or a male Peacocks large feathers distinguish them from their female counter parts.
User image User image

Deleted user
Well, the person came back and started accusing me of "forcing my cats into RaC groups" :P

I guess people are just used to seeing the more normal style (the cartoony style). Like, I guess it would be the same if someone started drawing realistic Sonic. "He is not a hedgehog… like that!" :P

Haha, lol at Insomniac's "meat flaps" comment :P I'm planning on doing an Angela Cross one since I don't draw many females, her hair will be an interesting challenge! I did an Azimuth one, but I think I screwed it up… his head is such a unique and funny shape, it was really hard to make "realistic". I'm currently working on oOwhiplashOo's OC character, Ziggy.

Tara, it would be really interesting to see in your style! I wonder what Ace would look like "realismed"? I wonder what creature he resembles the most. Maybe a dog?

yeah, Insomniac's crack me up with their comments about the lombaxes sometimes emoji like how they called Angela's hair a meatsack too.
But yeah it would be nice to see you try out an Angela one too emoji I do reckon your realistic Ratchet came out the best so far though emoji

I currently have no time to draw (Going to Europe in a few days) but ehh, if I can ever get a chance… I'd try out a realistic Ratchet as well XD and an Ace would be funny for me to try too XD but he doesnt look canine at all to me, doesnt really look like anything… he's just his own thing xD (he sorta has a leopard look though, with the large fangs, catnose and the spots. But that's all)

And for the Lombax ears thing… well I do think they have 'earholes', they're probably just hidden in the fur like some others said. Some fans draw him with open ears though anyways (but keep the shape and colours) =P