Thread: Rewriting Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time

User image
Before you guys burn me at the stake, how about reading this series of weekly "editorials" before that, a last words sort of thing.
ACiT is a flawed game storywise as can be seen here and this segment will basically serve the purpose of fixing those issues, of course you'll have some input if you notice any issues with my rewrite. Also, I won't take gameplay into account, it doesn't matter if my version of the story would change the gameplay in any way.
Needless to say there are spoilers for the entirety of the atchet and Clank series.

I'd write this stuff as an article on the RG front page as I feel it shouldn't be relegated only to news but whatever, let's begin this thing.

Section 1: The Protagonist User image

Ratchet in the previous games was a very snarky bastard, he didn't like being told what to do and was always incredibly suspicious of what could happen. He was dumb and some times needed Clank to help him out, but he could still get around, albeit a bit awkwardly.
According to the previous game, Ratchet is the last lombax left in the universe because all othe lombaxes were either killed or fled to another dimension. This was all Tachyon's fault, a Cragmite raised by the lombaxes (put a bookmark on that) that when he discovered his true origins developped a vendetta against the lombaxes.
Now, with the backstory out of the way, let's jump into this thing.

What the Game Gives Us
User image

Ratchet in ACiT is looking for Clank with the help of Qwark, he's kind of the straight man while Qwark's the jokester.
They crash into a seemingly deserted jungle planet where we see that Qwark treats Ratchet as his sidekick, but its very obvious b the way the duo acts that Ratchet's the one leading the expedition.
After a few planets and a section with Clank (I'll touch on that later) we're introduced to Azimuth, Ratchet's new partner that lives in exile after being rejected by the lombaxes for giving Tachyon the lombax technology he used to destroy Fastoon. Unlike Ratchet and Qwark, you can see that Azimuth is the one in the lead while Ratchet follows his orders and advice.
Ratchet tells Azimuth that he's willing to sacrifice his relationship with Clank in oder to get his parents back. Azimuth is glad to hear this as he doesnt reall care for Clank as a person and more as something he can use to get to the Clock.
Let's skip to the end of the game, as nothing of important is done in Ratchet's side until he rescues Clank.
After rescuing Clank, Ratchet and Azimuth discover that using the Clock for Time Travel could cause in a universal catastrophe. Ratchet then turns his back on Azimuth because he wasn't willing to use the Clock knowing the risk, but Azimuth didn't seem to care.
Skipping the end game, Ratchet and Clank are rescued by Azimuth right before the destruction of the Nearious Space Station (and their death).
In the Clock, after rejecting Azimuth's intentions yet again, Ratchet is killed by Azimuth and has to be rescued by Clank via Time Travel.
Ratchet and Clank defeat Azimuth, he dies and everyone lives happilyy ever after.
Now for the next part.

The Problem User image

Well, prepare your forks, folks!
Azimuth is a HORRIBLE companion in this game, two straight men just DON'T WORK. They occasionally crack a joke here and there, bbut they're not something to write home about. The funn bits are relegated to Nefarious and Qwark only.
Ratchet's death sucks! First off, how the hell did he die from a single blast? Why didn't he dodge it? We see Ratchet dodge shots earlier in a cutscene. The 6 minute limit for time travelling exists solely so they can include this unnecessary death scene, it also makes Morklon not make sense.
This one was short, but now for the main (but maybe not the longest) event.

The Rewrite User image

The game plays out as normal until the end of Vorselon's ship, where Qwark stays with Ratchet. This creates more humurous situations especially when they meet up with Aimuth.
Qwark is eventually seperated from Ratchet while he's bagging about how he beat the VX-99 to everyone in Axiom.
Ratchet doesn't immediately agree on using the Clock.
Azimuth treats Clank as a thing in Lumos and Ratchet stands up to him, this will show thatt Azimuth isn't in total control of Ratchet.
Ratchet receives a transmission from Qwark saying he was captured by Agorians and taken to the Battleplex.
Qwark meets up with Ratchet in Zanifar while Azimuth is the one doing all the recon on the Nefarious Space Station.
Vorselon doesn't capture Azimuth.
Azimuth doesn't rescue Clank with Ratchet, he finds out about the no time travel rule in the Clock.
Ratchet doesn't die.
Morklon explodes when the Clock starts to break (how up-lifting).

And done. I know another one of these threads may seem tiresome, but I needed to get this out of my system. Sorry for any grammar mistakes and see you next week emoji

Great do one of All 4 One and Into the Nexus emoji

Great do one of All 4 One and Into the Nexus emoji

I'm still not done, there are still some more characters and places I need to rewrite, but I'm definetely doing one for other games if this one is well received.

That's actually a nice rewrite. The part about Morklon exploding was a nice touch.

However, in response to your complaints about the original story:
Azimuth was intended to be more of a mentor to Ratchet than a completely contrasting character. Sure, they have their similarities, however jarring they may be, but they're a dramatic duo rather than a comedic one. Furthermore, the R&C series as a whole is unique in that the funnier parts are often relegated to the villains rather than the heroes.
As for the blast, Ratchet didn't dodge it because his back was turned when Azimuth charged his wrench, so he didn't have enough time to react. And even if he did (as suggested later when time is temporarily frozen), he was probably in shock at Azimuth shooting him, so he wouldn't have been able to react quickly enough.

I'll be honest - these changes are forced in my opinion, I'm not sure if the story would work with them. They can be summed up just as "more Qwark, less Azimuth, different ending". I expected you'd change it much more…

But this is still a good idea - in fact, it would be fun if with the launch of "Ratchet Galaxy V3" RG started to release R&C related editorials.

I'll be honest - these changes are forced in my opinion, I'm not sure if the story would work with them. They can be summed up just as "more Qwark, less Azimuth, different ending". I expected you'd change it much more…

But this is still a good idea - in fact, it would be fun if with the launch of "Ratchet Galaxy V3" RG started to release R&C related editorials.

When does it launch again?

When does it launch again?

Later this year.

Well, that has to do with the fact that Ratchet's story takes up the majority of the game, so I couldn't really go into detail and this was written late at night sooooo.
(I also forgot to mention why I didnt include Azimuth in Vapedia, basically it seems kinda stupid that Azimuth would go to the Clock even after Ratchet turned his back on him).
I'll go into more detail when I get to Clank, Backstory and Environments though.

Working on Clank's section… ugh…

Just touch the time puzzles, and you'll regret you ever made this thread…

Also, I won't take gameplay into account, it doesn't matter if my version of the story would change the gameplay in any way.

You could've always mentioned it at some point. Good to know emoji

I'll simply tweak a few plot stuff regarding Time Puzzles, nothing much.

You like them, too? emoji

You like them, too? emoji

You never came across any of my many posts where I say how much I love them?