Thread: What if R&C wasn't PlayStation exclusive?

I just had a random thought the other day about what it would be like if Ratchet & Clank was either multi-platform, or exclusive to XBox or GameCube/Wii.

Would R&C have been as successful as they are on PlayStation if they were on a different platform? Share your thoughts! emoji

I thin Nintendo might have made R&C a larger series, but it would probably be a lot more "family friendly" from the get-go, and could end up being dropped during one of the transitions to the Wii or Wii U. Microsoft on the other hand, I feel might be a little more focused on their other 1st party games, and would probably have let R&C sit around and not get as much attention as it truly deserves.

The series probably would have started off more-or less the same, (except if IG were with Microsoft we know Ratchet wouldn't have stripes) but from there it could have gone anywhere, and would be very hard to predict.

I just had a random thought the other day about what it would be like if Ratchet & Clank was either multi-platform, or exclusive to XBox or GameCube/Wii.

Would R&C have been as successful as they are on PlayStation if they were on a different platform? Share your thoughts! emoji

Probably yeah.
Nowadays Nintendo consoles are the only ones where games like R&C actually sell well.

Probably yeah.
Nowadays Nintendo consoles are the only ones where games like R&C actually sell well.

…And they wouldn't let it be so violent.

I thin Nintendo might have made R&C a larger series, but it would probably be a lot more "family friendly" from the get-go, and could end up being dropped during one of the transitions to the Wii or Wii U. Microsoft on the other hand, I feel might be a little more focused on their other 1st party games, and would probably have let R&C sit around and not get as much attention as it truly deserves.

The series probably would have started off more-or less the same, (except if IG were with Microsoft we know Ratchet wouldn't have stripes) but from there it could have gone anywhere, and would be very hard to predict.

Why wouldn't Ratchet have stripes if he was on XBox?

Insomniac wanted to have Ratchet without stripes. It was Sony's idea to put stripes on him, and I believe IG must have agreed with the idea afterwards, but I believe that Ted said something like "over my dead body!" at the initial suggestion of giving Ratchet stripes. This stuff was talked about on the IG forums (or was it a news post?) a long time ago, so I can't offer a source, sorry.