Thread: Ratchet & Clank: Comic (SPOILERS)

Oh my God…RATCHET, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU!? emoji

Seriously not digging Ratchet's design here! I mean…wow… He just looks way, way distorted from his normal look. I'd take me awhile to get used to that…

And anyone else notice the funky fashion sense?

I mean-overalls. Overalls…? Really…? Insomniac, you're going to stick the kick-ass, armor wearing, super-weapon wielding galactic fuzzball in…overalls…? emoji

And I feel better knowing Qwark's president of the Polaris Galaxy. In a way, that makes sense, given his (I'm assuming) exposure to the galaxy's people during his working with Tachyon. Still feel sorry for those poor saps… XD

I'm also surprised they announced Nefarious alive. I always figured that radio blip at the end of ACiT was to appease the Nefarious fans (such as myself) and keep him usable as a character in Fanfics and such. Although, I figured if he returned, it'd be either damaged or after being repaired by somebody else-not that Lawrence simply teleported him at the last second. Which, to jump on the bandwagon, is cheap. Not to mention out of character for Lawrence (who hates Nefarious)

I don't know if I'll be buying this. That art style on Ratchet just makes me shutter, but I admit I'm interested in the story. If they used the same guy who draw the cover art, everything would be fine. Don't know why they had one guy draw the cover, and another draw the actual comic (Yes, I'm aware all the big-time comics, such as Spiderman, Batman, Superman, etc, have had different artists, but I've never seen it in the same issue!) I guess it all comes down to the pricetag. :

Thank goodness for that! I don't think I can handle the Anime style these days. emoji

And just what's wrong with Anime-like styles? I happen to draw with that kind of style! emoji
(/joking-slash-fake anger emoji )

Deleted user
And just what's wrong with Anime-like styles? I happen to draw with that kind of style! :hum
(/joking-slash-fake anger emoji )

Yeah… I knew someone would respond to me like that when it comes to Anime, but when you have taken art in college for four years, you realize that just drawing the Anime style just doesn't feel that original since you see many people drawing in that form… plus you're not supposed to use that style in your portfolio at all if you want to get into a career in the art business… unless if you can really draw it professionally and make it rather unique.

I also do find that the style looks pretty flat most of the time and it doesn't help you with your drawing skills one bit. Of course that is my opinion about the style, but it's okay if you think totally opposite about the Anime look. emoji I don't fully hate Anime in general, but the style is something I'm not too keen on.

Yeah, I don't really understand why Ratchet said that, unless he was just being sarcastic or so, since he is talking with Qwark, afterall emoji but yeah it is kinda odd.

Or perhaps Ratchet did really wanted to take a break from all those adventures from the games. Before he became a hero, he was an unemployed mechanic, right? So perhaps he wanted to take it easy with the hero stuff and keep that previous hobby of his.

Although, I think Ratchet just said that because he felt annoyed while continuing on what he was doing. He pretty much exaggerated of what he said in the room with Clank and Qwark, and when you get annoyed by people while working on something, you say stuff that you don't really mean to say.

And anyone else notice the funky fashion sense?

I mean-overalls. Overalls…? Really…? Insomniac, you're going to stick the kick-ass, armor wearing, super-weapon wielding galactic fuzzball in…overalls…? emoji

That actually didn't bug me at all. I've always wanted to see what Ratchet would look like in an outfit like that. But I think he's just wearing that just for the beginning segment. He would definitely change his outfit once the action and adventure begins in the story.

It's a nice idea to have an R&C comic, Clank looks awesome, Qwark looks alright, but RATCHET'S EYES ARE TOO SMALL! I don't know why they couldn't have used the art style from the weapon how tos in ACIT emoji

Deleted user

Huh? I don't think the overalls are bad, they suit him for when he ISN'T doing heroic stuff, ya know? Like, just usual mechanic things like he usually does in his spare time. But yeah, I can see a lot have a problem with how Ratchet looks, I actually don't mind it at all (like I said earlier) since I like seeing different and unique styles, and well I don't actually hate anime neither (Like Tipsy said) but it's so common and mostly the same that I'd most likely be put off if it were in a style like that.

So overall, I'm fine with how it is so far, and I'm looking forward to how the story goes emoji

I think Ratchet looks rather "fanartish" to be honest. I'm not sure what it is, but… yeah XD I can think of a few Ratchet and Clank fanartists who could have made it look better, but I guess it'll be ok if the story is good. Looking at the dialogue so far, I'd say we're in for a pretty awesome ride!

Ratchet's new look for the comic did take me by surprise. Its still alright I think for a comic, since comics always have some crazy distorted style anyway. Its like when you watch a spiderman cartoon then look at the comic. Plus, what you have to remember is that not every artist has the same style. So yes, its odd, but not bad, it'll just take a little adjusting.

I think his overalls looks great. Since he is a mechanic (and a little bit nuts) it suits him. emoji Clank, imho, is the best drawn of the lot.

Yeah… I knew someone would respond to me like that when it comes to Anime, but when you have taken art in college for four years, you realize that just drawing the Anime style just doesn't feel that original since you see many people drawing in that form… plus you're not supposed to use that style in your portfolio at all if you want to get into a career in the art business… unless if you can really draw it professionally and make it rather unique.

I also do find that the style looks pretty flat most of the time and it doesn't help you with your drawing skills one bit. Of course that is my opinion about the style, but it's okay if you think totally opposite about the Anime look. emoji I don't fully hate Anime in general, but the style is something I'm not too keen on.

I'd like to point out the use of the emoji emoticon at the end of my statement. I understand what you mean, a lot of animes look like carbon-copy clones of each other. My own personal style doesn't really fall into the "typical" anime-style (which is why I said "anime-like"emoji, so I'm not really offended by your comment. Just felt like making a joke, that's all.

Of course, I disagree that simply drawing in that style doesn't help your skills. Artists who draw in that style still have to learn proportions, perspective, anatomy, and all that other stuff. Simply drawing in one style or another doesn't affect your skills, only how your product will look. emoji

Huh? I don't think the overalls are bad, they suit him for when he ISN'T doing heroic stuff, ya know? Like, just usual mechanic things like he usually does in his spare time. But yeah, I can see a lot have a problem with how Ratchet looks, I actually don't mind it at all (like I said earlier) since I like seeing different and unique styles

That actually didn't bug me at all. I've always wanted to see what Ratchet would look like in an outfit like that. But I think he's just wearing that just for the beginning segment. He would definitely change his outfit once the action and adventure begins in the story.

*shrugs* Okay, maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's that funky rendition of Ratchet while
in the overals. I don't really mind seeing him in casual clothes, but for some reason the overalls seem…strange on him, to me at least. Although, I think you probably have the right idea Tipsy. He'll probably switch clothes for the actual adventuring, so I'm not going to stress about it.

and well I don't actually hate anime neither (Like Tipsy said) but it's so common and mostly the same that I'd most likely be put off if it were in a style like that.

Well, we've seen what happens when you mix Ratchet with Anime. emoji

I think Ratchet looks rather "fanartish" to be honest. I'm not sure what it is, but… yeah XD I can think of a few Ratchet and Clank fanartists who could have made it look better, but I guess it'll be ok if the story is good. Looking at the dialogue so far, I'd say we're in for a pretty awesome ride!

I believe that. I've seen fan-artists who have managed to produce content even better looking than the source material.

Ratchet's new look for the comic did take me by surprise. Its still alright I think for a comic, since comics always have some crazy distorted style anyway. Its like when you watch a spiderman cartoon then look at the comic. Plus, what you have to remember is that not every artist has the same style. So yes, its odd, but not bad, it'll just take a little adjusting.

I think his overalls looks great. Since he is a mechanic (and a little bit nuts) it suits him. emoji Clank, imho, is the best drawn of the lot.

I have watched both Spiderman cartoons and read the comics. Yet, while there's subtle differences in style, both renditions of Spiderman still look like Spiderman. My problem with this style here is that it doesn't really "look" like Ratchet as much as "resembles" him. Don't know if that makes any sense or not… ^_^;

And Clank probably does look the best here. Although Qwark makes a pretty close second…

Deleted user

And of course, everyone here is welcome to share their opinions and thoughts in a civil way, which you have done so anyway so it's fine if you're not too keen on some things.

But of course, once the first issue is released then it'll be better for really judging :P which is early in September. Looking forward to what's to come… emoji

No one has mentioned this yet I think but have any of you noticed that Ratchet said "Ah Crap!" in one of the pannels? Like in Quest for Booty, lol emoji

Deleted user

Yeah, I've realized that too. At first, didn't see Ratchet say that at all, but when I re-read the comic again, it kind of gave me a chuckle. Guess the word "Crap" isn't that offensive in E-rated games or comics these days. emoji

I don't mind the art style too much, but has anybody noticed how short Ratchet is? In the last panel of the first page, Clank comes up to his shoulders.

I think clank and qwark looks ok in that style but not 100% keen on ratchet's looks in the comic plus I'm not pleased when I heard that DR.N is still alive (I still hate him for what he has done to orvus) however if orvus is still alive I won't hate DR.N anymore.

Deleted user

Since no one else has posted it here yet…

User image
Ratchet and Clank's first run-in with Markazian planet-thief Artemis Zogg has landed them in a maximum security penitentiary. But this prison is one puzzle that even Clank is having trouble figuring out! Can this dynamo duo escape the confines of this ruthless lockdown before another planet is stolen?

Cover for issue 2 of the R&C Comic emoji

Now that looks awesome! emoji Now why can't the artist who drew that draw the actual comic too? *sighs* emoji

Deleted user

Moar news! And more images too! (SPOILERS If you don't want to know more about the story!)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/21/ratchet-clank-going-comics/

emoji
After reading that info and seeing those new pages… I am even more excited about getting these! And HOLY CRAP, FOR SALE IN NEW ZEALAND TOO? Sweet emoji and even going to be available in the Playstation Store! Not sure if I'll get the digital or the actual copies XD and I'm surprised to hear that the Bogon Galaxy even has to do with this, and Ratchet's reacton to Talwyn? Hmm…

Deleted user

Interesting stuff for the latest pages so far. emoji

Sure the art style may not be for everyone, but I think the story could be very intriguing, emoji especially the mention of Bogan and Tawlyn in the comic on those latest pages.

Oh by the way, that cover for Issue 2 looks insanely awesome! emoji