Thread: Swears in the Ratchet and Clank Series

don't forget what nefarious saidin all4one
son of a *beep*

don't forget what nefarious saidin all4one
son of a *beep*

When?

It wasn't beepd out, he kinda just didn't finnish his word he was like "Son of a Biaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!" when the hover car thinggy he was on stopped working in one of the trailers, in the first cinematic i beileve?

First off, this first one I actually just discovered today and found it to be funny. Luckily, there's a youtube video (one of Scottishduck's let's plays) that you can hear it from. I'll send the link if someone requests it.

Alister Azimuth - A Crack in Time
*Gets hit by a Nefarious trooper* "Ah, sh*t!"

I really doubt that Alister would literally throw an S-bomb in A Crack in Time. Maybe it's one of those misheard things while playing a game, like the infamous cussing pots in Banjo-Kazooie or the misheard line of Mario's quote "So long, King Bowser" being heard as "So Long, G@y Bowser" to some people in Super Mario 64.

I don't think Insomniac would go over that ropes when it comes to adding cusses in a series like Ratchet and Clank.

It could be, but even if not I'm not suprised because we have heard them say sh*t, although censored, in the series before. It could also be sort've a "easter egg" for it to be heard in dialogue , as well. I'll send the link to the video where I first heard it. It's at about 7:17 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZlC0U2UAE. Could this have been a misheard thing, an easter egg, rare quote during dialogue (I found it pretty easily, so probably not)?

I swear I heard Sh*t in there!!

at first it sounded like it, but i think he just said 'AHH'

it sounded like S*** because of the explosions and the bolts. It added a shhhh sound. The quality didnt help either.

First off, this first one I actually just discovered today and found it to be funny. Luckily, there's a youtube video (one of Scottishduck's let's plays) that you can hear it from. I'll send the link if someone requests it.

I really doubt that Alister would literally throw an S-bomb in A Crack in Time. Maybe it's one of those misheard things while playing a game, like the infamous cussing pots in Banjo-Kazooie or the misheard line of Mario's quote "So long, King Bowser" being heard as "So Long, G@y Bowser" to some people in Super Mario 64.

I don't think Insomniac would go over that ropes when it comes to adding cusses in a series like Ratchet and Clank.

It could be, but even if not I'm not suprised because we have heard them say sh*t, although censored, in the series before. It could also be sort've a "easter egg" for it to be heard in dialogue , as well. I'll send the link to the video where I first heard it. It's at about 7:17 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZlC0U2UAE. Could this have been a misheard thing, an easter egg, rare quote during dialogue (I found it pretty easily, so probably not)?

It really does sound like sh*t, but I doubt it actually was. Then again, who's to say???

I HATE it when they tease you like that! emoji

It really does sound like sh*t, but I doubt it actually was. Then again, who's to say???

(I should've cut that quote pyramid, but it consisted important facts)

It definitely was sh*t (or shht, but that'd been a way to get that line through age ratings), as I've heard that at least three times myself while playing. First time though I was like "What did you say?" and the second time through I realised I didn't just imagine it. It happens rarely when those sawblade-bots hit Alister. I guess ESRB and PEGI didn't catch that in the rating process - otherwise it wouldn't have been PEGI 7/ESRB E10+.

Also, Ratchet's "Oh, crap" from the American QfB has been replaced with "Oh *beep*" in the European release (everyone who I know to have played it through thought it would've been "Oh sh*t" - maybe it was changed just because of that, to make a different impression).

But what I'm baffled about is that PEGI 12 would allow "mild bad language" (PEGI calls it mild when it's occasional and/or doesn't go past "sh*t"emoji when ESRB T limits it at least as much while it is said to allow infrequent use of "strong language". Though, Ratchets are PEGI 3/7 while they are E10+/T on ESRB scale - PEGI doesn't rate "Ratchet-humour" as high as ESRB. Anyway, I don't get it how the first four games got a PEGI 3 rating, remembering the quotes from those games.

We'll see what All4One has to offer to this thread when it's released emoji.

By the way, I suppose European localised versions don't count here even as translated, do they?

(I should've cut that quote pyramid, but it consisted important facts)

It definitely was sh*t (or shht, but that'd been a way to get that line through age ratings), as I've heard that at least three times myself while playing. First time though I was like "What did you say?" and the second time through I realised I didn't just imagine it. It happens rarely when those sawblade-bots hit Alister. I guess ESRB and PEGI didn't catch that in the rating process - otherwise it wouldn't have been PEGI 7/ESRB E10+.

Also, Ratchet's "Oh, crap" from the American QfB has been replaced with "Oh *beep*" in the European release (everyone who I know to have played it through thought it would've been "Oh sh*t" - maybe it was changed just because of that, to make a different impression).

But what I'm baffled is that PEGI 12 would allow "mild bad language" (PEGI calls it mild when it's occasional and/or doesn't go past "sh*t"emoji when ESRB T limits it at least as much while it is said to allow infrequent use of "strong language". Though, Ratchets are PEGI 3/7 while they are E10+/T on ESRB scale - PEGI doesn't rate "Ratchet-humour" as high as ESRB. Anyway, I don't get it how the first four games got a PEGI 3 rating, remembering the quotes from those games.

We'll see what All4One has to offer to this thread when it's released emoji.

By the way, I suppose European localised versions don't count here even as translated, do they?

I remember hearing something about a hidden curse in A Crack in Time. This is very interesting. This thread will certainly boost up by the time All4One is out because it says language on the rating.

I remember hearing something about a hidden curse in A Crack in Time. This is very interesting. This thread will certainly boost up by the time All4One is out because it says language on the rating.

Well, I might as well just check if that happens on localised versions as well. If Alister says something like "Ach (du) Sch**ße!" in the German version (that's quite a common swear in Germany, more so than in the UK or US, even our German schoolbook had that), it must be "Ah, sh*t!" in the English version - why would there be added swearing in the localised versions?
Does the French forum have a thread like this, and have they possibly found out that does Alister have a line like that in the French-localised version?

EDIT: And there is "Ratchet and Clank return! Kicking ass one planet at a time!" at the back of the UK & Commonwealth version of R&C:GC called Ratchet & Clank 2 Locked and Loaded.
http://www.highrescovers.com/wp-content/uploads/covers/Ratchet-And-Clank-2:-Locked-and-Loaded---PAL---Cover-And-Disc-Cover-1902-2.jpg

At least the Finnish version is censored in QfB as is the PAL English version.
And the Planet Merdegraw is changed to "Verdegraw" in the French version, as "merde" means sh*t in French. Now imagine that in a child-friendly game.

even our German schoolbook had that

No way.

I can copy the dialogue from the book. I shortened it a bit, but you can see the reason why it was there. It's also in the chapter's vocabulary. Feel free to ask a pic of that.

(Two boys found out their new classmate is the Austrian champion in trial-driving; translations in brackets: )
-Wow! … Ach du Scheiße, was machen wir denn jetzt? (Wow! … Ah sh*t, what are we going to do now?)
-Wieso? Was meinst du? (Why, what do you mean?)
-Na, die Sache mit dem Zucker im Tank. Er ist bestimmt total sauer auf uns! (The thing with the sugar in the fuel tank. He is probably angry to us!)

But the real reason to that being used is the difference in culture. The Germans use it like the British would use "Ah, crap", and in Finland swearing is just as common as in Ireland. You can say "F*ck off" in a friendly meaning while speaking to your friends, and some people use cusses nearly as every second word while they are speaking (I know some of these people, it is really embarrassing if I'm with them and people walk by). Though, the upper class and elderly townsfolk usually always keep their language clean.

After playing the All 4 One Beta, I must say, I was surprised to hear there was some salty language and sexual humor in the dialogue, so I thought it would be perfect for this thread. emoji

Ratchet - All 4 One
"Quit screwing around, Qwark!"

Dr. Nefarious - All 4 One
"Damn, I'm good…and yet…so bad! GET IT?!"

(These next ones might not count as language, but…emoji

Captain Qwark - All 4 One
"Okay, get ready to suck!" *referring to the Vac-U*
Dr. Nefarious
"Hey Qwark, you know who "sucks"?
Captain Qwark
"Who?"
Dr. Nefarious
"You DO!"
Captain Qwark
"Why thank you, Nefarious…wait…HEY!"

Captain Qwark - All 4 One
"Bad news, my friends. I think I left my hero underwear back in Luminopolis…my presidential pair is a bit too tight on the crotch.

Clank - All 4 One
"I will respect your right to attack, but I am afraid after this fight your logic may only revert back at you in your stones hehehehehe"

Clank - All 4 One
"I will respect your right to attack, but I am afraid after this fight your logic may only revert back at you in your stones hehehehehe"

CLANK!!
Looks like Ratchet explained what stones were after all.emojiemoji

Clank - All 4 One

CLANK!!
Looks like Ratchet explained what stones were after all.emojiemoji

I know right? emoji It's so funny because it's something that you usually wouldn't expect Clank to say xD.

Citation : Auteur inconnu
Clank - All 4 One

CLANK!!
Looks like Ratchet explained what stones were after all.

I know! This is Clank, for heavens sake! I fell out of my chair I lol'ed so hard!