Thread: Well this happened...

So.. this is a recent update? (Slight spoiler alert)

linky

I'm not usually one to complain about romantic interests, but it's like a different love interest every game. I wish I had some of Ratchet's skill.
Must be the ears.

People write various things on Ratchet Wikia, don't trust it.

True, but there was that early showing from a few months back. Not saying this could be legit, but who knows?

linky

May just be a rumor, but if not- Grrrr emoji.

One of the things that makes R&C great is that it has a legitimately good storyline- and when it gets cliched, it usually has the sense to parody itself or the plot a bit. It's good at avoiding sappiness (especially for a video game plot) which is what gives the few "emotional" scenes in the storyline their power.

I'm not seeing that with this, at all. It looks like a lame insertion by some Hollywood hack who wants to genericize the plot to increase its appeal to new audiences. Cheapening the whole thing hugely in the process.

The last thing this franchise needs is to lose its storytelling ability, humor and sense of self. Things like this chip away at it in a big way. Then it'll just be another generic action-platformer for kids and preteens with some interesting weapons.

Or maybe Ratchet is just a bit of a flaky prick like in the first game, and we all get to laugh at amusing innuendos and flirts, as it should be. emoji

I'm not usually one to complain about romantic interests, but it's like a different love interest every game. I wish I had some of Ratchet's skill.
Must be the ears.

The idea of Ratchet as a flirt who has casual romantic encounters is the best for the series, IMHO. It leaves in a great deal of humor potential and avoids casting Ratchet as too childlike a character (unlike just making him focused on weapons and not looking twice at a female, which is another proposed solution to the problem).

Writers dancing around censorship to make jokes adults get and kids don't is a terrific source of humor that the series was previously known for.

There are alot of problems associated with Ratchet having a long-term romantic interest, although they're not unsolvable. I like Ratchet's evolution as a character throughout the series, it's good storytelling (albeit it chopped up a bit between games).

At the end of the Future series, he's behaving like a fairly mature grown (Lombax?) in his early 20s. Some humor, some seriousness, some internal strife, makes sense. In the earlier trilogy he's a snotty teenager slowly growing up and becoming a better person, which also makes sense (and is quite funny).

I'm a writer, and the storyteller in me says there is nothing wrong with having a "RatchetX___" plot. But again, the earlier it's placed in the storyline that has already been established in the games, the more lame and cheap it is, and the more destructive it is to Ratchet's development as a character.

I'm not the biggest fan of TalwynxRatchet, but at least she's not a cheap hack of a character. They could possibly make something between them without ruining the plot, and it appears they intend to in the Future games' canon anyway. Not what I would do but I don't see it ruining the series. Cora, on the other hand….

linky

I wrote that–just put 2 and 2 together emoji

Ah, well, nevermind, then. Kubak12, I'll never doubt my elders again! emoji

linky

You cannot write it down yet! We haven't heard of any official statements about her yet.

linky

You cannot write it down yet! We haven't heard of any official statements about her yet.

What about that leak? "Cute girl named Cora goes with Clank to convince Ratchet to help them stop Drek."
I'm terrible, I know emoji

That, to me, does not imply that Cora and Ratchet are going to be becoming boyfriend and girlfriend. So far relationships have been handled pretty well though. You could tell Ratchet felt something for Angela, which was at times pretty funny. Sasha and Ratchet never really slowed down any plot, because there was always this awkward disconnection between the two. And finally Talywn never seemed like a girlfriend at all until the comics came along.

And ItN.

I just remembered that my family used to call the Gadgetbots 'Clank-o-saurs".
Imagine that was a thing emoji

Hmmm… good idea emoji

And finally Talywn never seemed like a girlfriend at all until the comics came along.

And even then, their relationship was never intrusive.

Nope, it wasn't. And I liked it that way. emoji

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJEa6TnA824

New Ratchet and Clank PS4 game-play. Showcasing Planet Gaspar this time. I've gotta say everything looks incredible so far, and you can tell Insomniac did their best to stay as faithful to the original level as possible. Also it seems as if

Quark plays a bigger role in this game than we'd originally thought. That could explain the GrummelNet weapons, the jetpack and a lot of other things.

My one complaint about all this, though, is that I'm not really feeling that music. It seems out of place. As if the composer might not have gotten a real feel for the level before they made the music.

My one complaint about all this, though, is that I'm not really feeling that music. It seems out of place. As if the composer might not have gotten a real feel for the level before they made the music.

I think that's not the case - they simlpy (both IG and Michael Bross) wanted to go for a more Thram-like feeling this time, because that's what Gaspar really turned into. However, I still think Bross shouldn't do Bergeaud-like scores, because well… Bergeaud's a much better Bergeaud. While the Nashville sudios orchestrations are even better than in ItN, the music itself is pretty uninspired… You can't really catch any leading melodies, themes or tunes in these tracks, these are really just generic backing tracks. And again, no one beats David in terms of synth and techno stuff. I'd much rather have Bross make his own thing and make it good (like with All 4 One) than try to force in the classic games' feel he can't really catch (like with FFA).