Thread: Video Games of your Childhood

We all (or at least most of us) entered gaming during our childhood. And we all have those video games that just won't fade away from our memories, either because it was so great or so terrible. So, fasten your seatbelt, and have a nice nostalgia trip! (PS: prepare for feels)

I'll start with my favorite games of my childhood:

1. Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup (PS2)
User image

2. Shrek 2 (PS2)
User image

3. Ace Combat Zero (PS2)
User image

4. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PSP)
User image

5. Call of Duty: Roads to Victory (PSP)
User image

Ooh, fun topic! I'll have to think about these for a moment.
Friend of mine had Shrek in his GameCube, apperently nowadays it's one of the worst games on that platform. emoji

Games of my childhood?

The earliest games I played on consoles were literally just Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal, and Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc. That is all.

Before then there were a bunch of classic PC games, but I was never that serious about gaming until we got the PS2, and played these two games.

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters was the first game I ever played, but I also really loved Lego Star Wars and The Force Unleashed. emoji

I played Crash, then graduated to Spyro, then Ratchet and Clank, then Jak and Daxter but it wasn't good in my opinion, so I went back to Ratchet and Clank. And of course, I'll play the occasional lego game Star wars game, and racing game.

Oooh, I forgot to mention LEGO Star Wars I & II! In the second one, I like how you can play as either ghost Anakin, Obi-Wan, or Yoda. The enemies would just ignore you, you're invincible from any kind of attacks, but still die when you fall down to a hole emoji

Well, I miss Ace Combat Zero and Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup the most. And about Ratchet and Clank in PS2, I only played the demo. But still had fun. And then there was Gran Turismo, uh, 4, I think.

Games of my childhood, eh?
Well, that's a hard one. I played A LOT of games in my childhood, having a PS2 that could play burned games probably helped.

I'll try not to bring up the ones that are already well known here like Crash or Ratchet & Clank.

One game that I'll always remember was an Asterix game actually. I think it was a platformer, but I really can't remember much about it. I played it a lot but I can't remember its name for the life of me.

I also had a game about Tarzan using chunks of wood as surf boards. It was super hard for me and I always had to get my dad to help me out with it. I also used to play a 2D Tarzan game but I can barely remember that one. I think I actually played it on the school computer.

And yeah, I also had Shrek 2. I think everyone I know had Shrek 2.

Well, thank you for bringing up memories. I now remember that I used to play Tarzan on my Playstation, too. And no, I didn't know you had Shrek 2 (or maybe I just forgot) emoji

Most of the games from my childhood are pretty old school. Wait, do kids still say old school? Whatever, it works. lol. Anyway, I went through the early generations of gaming, from Atari all the way up to PS3/X-Box 360. And yes, that includes old and new PC games. The oldest games I can remember playing off the top of my head were the original Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Wolfenstein 3D (which for those of you that don't know, just a quick history lesson, was the first ever first person shooter), Full Throttle, Star Wars Dark Forces, Doom, Duke Nukem, Heretic, Hexen, Xargon, Skunny, and the list just goes on from there. I could list the Atari games that I have played, but I can't remember that far back, but I do remember having one, along with a Commodore 64. I was probably 4 or 5 years old at the time. Definitely makes me feel old bringing up old games.

Crash (1 and 2), Jak (1) and Ratchet (the whole trilogy)!

Aside from Ratchet & Clank I did enjoy the first Jak & Daxter game and played a bit of the second. Then there's Crash 3. It's hard to say for me whether or not I'd prefer it over the other two.

There was only one PC game that I remember playing a lot (and still play it to this day), and that is Trackmania (United Forever to be precise).

I'm actually surprised by what you wrote, Ani. And no, I don't mean the fact that you didn't like Jak & Daxter (which I love), but the fact that you actually played on the PlayStation - from what I know, it's the Nintendo that was the go-to game console in the US, that's why nobody knows or cares about old PS classics on the internet (shame that if they do it's either Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil, never got to play those).

I'm actually surprised by what you wrote, Ani. And no, I don't mean the fact that you didn't like Jak & Daxter (which I love), but the fact that you actually played on the PlayStation - from what I know, it's the Nintendo that was the go-to game console in the US, that's why nobody knows or cares about old PS classics on the internet (shame that if they do it's either Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil, never got to play those).

That was more the case in the early-mid 90's. Nintendo was pretty strong in the US until 97 or so, but after that pretty much everyone started migrating to Playstation. I'm pretty sure the PS2 sold 6 times the amount the Gamecube did in the early 2000's.

(On a side note: Nintendo would've been way stronger in Europe if they had actually released half of their games over here!)

First games I played were Need For Speed III Hot Pursuit, Toca 2 Touring Cars, Spyro The Dragon and Lego Island 2 emoji

First game I bought myself after saving pocket money for weeks was Ratchet & Clank 3 Up Your Arsenal emoji
Other PS2 games I loved were Simpsons Hit & Run, Gran Turismo 4, Legend of Kay, Need for Speed Underground and Burnout Revenge

Childhood? Hmmm, let's see:

-R&C demo

(played it a thousand times… until I knew every single pixel on the 2 maps - Metropolis and Blackwater City - and discovered aaalll the glitches - I think the demo wasn't as polished as the final version emoji )

-R&C

(borrowed from my cousin, it was a Spanish dubbed version… emoji needles to say I didn't understand a thing…emoji

-Jak II: Renegade

(the only one I had and the first one I played from the series)

-Games played at my cousin:

J&D (shockingly very different from the second one), GTA San Andreas (+80% more fun with cheat codes), Spyro (not sure which one…emoji

-The Lord of the Rings:

User image The Return of the King (awesome co-op game (I always played with Legolas - burning arrows are the best), however the CD got scratched really badly and I couldn't finish it emoji)

-Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare

User image (for me: the scariest game ever emoji - it had horrible controls - you could only use the arrows to move, that combined with still camera angles makes it really frustrating to control the character - good creepy soundtrack - chilling atmosphere - uncomfortable long, silent and dark loading screens emoji - spooky monsters - occasional lightning+zombies jumpscares - let's not forget the dogs that chase you outside and when you shoot them, just before the final bullet, they get to a stage where they crawl only on their front legs, dragging the rest of their body around while crying in pain, and if you don't kill them, they wander around continuously like that… very unsettling - scarce "save game medallion thingys" - I could go on for ever…emoji

-Need for Speed: Underground 2

User image (still the best racing game ever imo)

-Surprise

User image (yes, it's Shrek 2, I've played it too… I had no idea this game was so popular)

Oh, yes! I played the R&C demo, too! I really enjoy smashing the boxes. It was one of the available demos in a special DVD that I had no idea of how did I get it.