Thread: Theory: KADEN IS ALIVE

So, hear me out. This comes from a discussion had with the Smuggler on Rykan V in Tools of Destruction, in which he says he bought the Gyro Cycle from a Lombax who crash landed on the planet he was on at the time, or something like that. I forget what planet or what place it was exactly, but I know that was the gist. When he mentions Ratchet looks like him, it's almost certain this was a reference to Ratchet's father, Kaden. My theory is, this was directly after the Lombaxes fled the dimension and Kaden was trying to get away from Tachyon in a ship, when the Cragmite emprorer shoots him down to the place where he crosses paths with Kaden. Tachyon, being as arrogant as he is, doesn't bother to check and make sure it had done the job, and chooses to believe that he had successfully exterminated the Lombax, so he can tell Ratchet and everybody else that he killed him. This would prove to be a horrible mistake as Kaden would then crawl from the wreckage, sell his Gyro Cycle to the smuggler to make a few bolts for a ride off the planet, and as the theory would have it, he is now in hiding out somewhere in the universe. What do you guys think of this?

Refresh my memory. I thought it was mentioned that Kaden dueled against Tachyon before he got killed?

You may be right, idk, it's been a while since I played the future trilogy. But I truly think that I'm onto something here.

But yeah, it might be interesting if it's true that Kaden is alive and watched his son's accomplishments from his hideout. Maybe if the theory is true, Ratchet would fight the bad guys together with Kaden in the last game (if it were to happen), just like how Nathan and Sam Drake was reunited in Uncharted 4.

This warrants discussion. Definately

So yo does anyone think, reading this, that this is a possibility?

When I first heard the Smuggler say this on Rykan V, I was sure he was referencing Ratchet's father, and I thought that was a neat little detail. I kind of shrugged it off there, but then later in the game when I found out that Ratchet's father was supposedly confirmed dead by Tachyon I thought that was interesting, as I immediately remembered the conversation with the Smuggler suggesting otherwise. Then after the fight with Tachyon, when Clank says "I detected no lie in his voice" with what Tachyon was saying, I thought that since Clank is a robot that he must have just sort of read Tachyon and used sensors to see if he was lying or not… but I now don't believe this to be all that reliable. After all, Clank's been wrong before… infact he was pretty wrong about Qwark in the first game! And if he's gotten better at "reading" people, maybe he could be right about not detecting Tachyon as lying… but then again, Tachyon isn't all that trustworthy. It wouldn't surprise me if Tachyon can convince himself of facts that aren't true.

But I mostly used this logic to counter his claims of knowing Ratchet's true name. As for Ratchet's father's death… I would like to think he's dead. "why would somebody want to think of a good character as being dead!?" You might ask. Well It's like if Batman's parents were revealed not dead through some sort of completely plausible twist, then it kind of weakens the impact of the events before it, and our main character's motivations. I mean Ratchet wasn't motivated to defeat Tachyon just for his father's sake, but it certainly makes Tachyon seem a lot badder knowing he killed both of Ratchet's parents.

Also, I know Azimuth isn't a very reliable character for getting the most solid facts from, but he seems pretty sure Ratchet's parents are both dead… so I think The Smuggler just got the Gyro-cycle off of Kaden before Kaden was killed.

Yeah most likely that was originally what Insomniac had in mind… but to pitch this idea to them, like, it would be so cool and make so much sense. idk I still really want a final game on the old cannon and that would be a cool plot thread.

I think he's alive. He must have been fed up with Ratchet so he sent him on the only planet that raises mutant toads.

Or so he was so quécho to see his gow dead that he went crazy.

I think Alister might have killed him.
Kaden is not the real dad of Ratchet. Alister is.
My theory is that Alister and Kaden's wife had an adeventure and Kaden was not feeling good about it. So they had a fight. Of course Alister won because he is awesome.

There's a lot of clues for this theories. When Alister and Ratchet meet for the first time, it makes a lot of sense that Alister doesn't tell the whole story to ratchet. It would be way too complicated. He can't tell him that 1. He's not the only lombax left. 2. His father is not his real father. 3. I killed your mom's husband.
He has to wait. He tries to tell him several time, but there's lot of tension between them. As soon as they meet, they fight.

Alister finally tells the truth to ratchet during ACIT, but it's not shown to the player. Ratchet reacts really badly. Sometime they fight, sometime they want to have a son/father relationship.

That's why they keep fighting while loving each other during ACIT.
When you know all this, the Final Boss of ACIT is even more emotionnal, because it's Ratchet and his dad who are fighting to death, for the honor of Kaden.

I think Alister might have killed him.
Kaden is not the real dad of Ratchet. Alister is.
My theory is that Alister and Kaden's wife had an adeventure and Kaden was not feeling good about it. So they had a fight. Of course Alister won because he is awesome.

There's a lot of clues for this theories. When Alister and Ratchet meet for the first time, it makes a lot of sense that Alister doesn't tell the whole story to ratchet. It would be way too complicated. He can't tell him that 1. He's not the only lombax left. 2. His father is not his real father. 3. I killed your mom's husband.
He has to wait. He tries to tell him several time, but there's lot of tension between them. As soon as they meet, they fight.

Alister finally tells the truth to ratchet during ACIT, but it's not shown to the player. Ratchet reacts really badly. Sometime they fight, sometime they want to have a son/father relationship.

That's why they keep fighting while loving each other during ACIT.
When you know all this, the Final Boss of ACIT is even more emotionnal, because it's Ratchet and his dad who are fighting to death, for the honor of Kaden.

Hmm… That's an interesting theory, but if it were true, wouldn't Ratchet look more like Alister then? After all, he did say Ratchet looked just like his father.

Hmm… That's an interesting theory, but if it were true, wouldn't Ratchet look more like Alister then? After all, he did say Ratchet looked just like his father.

We don't know anything about how Lombax DNA works really.
About what Alister says: he just say that because he doesn't want ratchet to discover the truth yet. It's pretty embrassassing. Ratchet's mother cheated her husband with him, that's not the first thing you want to say to your son after years without seeing him !

We don't know anything about how Lombax DNA works really.
About what Alister says: he just say that because he doesn't want ratchet to discover the truth yet. It's pretty embrassassing. Ratchet's mother cheated her husband with him, that's not the first thing you want to say to your son after years without seeing him !

Did you write a fanfiction about this? If not, then maybe you should. I would love to see how such a plot twist would play out. emoji

I might write a fiction that explains all this perfectly.
I wrote one that takes place in a universe where ratchet knows Alister is his father, though. It's pretty interresting to see all the tension that is created by their relationship that is just suggested in the real games.