Thread: Did ACiT create a Plot-Hole?

Deleted user

I was on the Internet a while back when I tought: "Wait a minute…", I picked up the manual from my copy of Ratchet and Clank and it turns out my suspicions were right. The character page from the manual, on the Ratchet part, it says "…His friends a family discribe him as a dreamer…" Note the quote "…his friends and family…" in ACiT it explains that Ratchet's mother was in an alernate deimmension and his father was dead. So what does the manual mean by his friends and family? Did ACiT create a plot-hole? Leave your toughts here in this thread.

I reckon Insomniac Games just forgot they'd put that in the character description for the original manual. Don't forget the two things were eight years apart! Back in '02 they probably didn't plan for the game to be the start of such a massive franchise and didn't really plan ahead that much. Although it's still bad that they didn't check back over such details to make sure they weren't creating any plot-holes, there are very few errors in consistency throughout the Ratchet series anyway…

I think that's an honest error considering, as lombaxdude42 said, the games were made 8 years apart.
Although it is possible they were talking about adoptive parents assuming Ratchet had some.

I also noticed playing through UYA, at one point Nefarious declares 'It's a shame you won't survive long enough to see the rest of your kind exterminated' but from the future series we know all the lombaxes have left emoji

Deleted user
I think that's an honest error considering, as lombaxdude42 said, the games were made 8 years apart.
Although it is possible they were talking about adoptive parents assuming Ratchet had some.

I also noticed playing through UYA, at one point Nefarious declares 'It's a shame you won't survive long enough to see the rest of your kind exterminated' but from the future series we know all the lombaxes have left emoji

I think that by kind he means squishies not lombaxes, I think.

We don't see many of his friends, either…

Deleted user

Maybe they didn't want any useless NPC on the level.

Family doesn't have to mean you have their DNA and all that. Clank and Ratchet are like family, and as implied in the game inFamous; Zeke states Cole is like his brother, like family "I don't call you brother because I like the way it sounds"

And in Ratchet & Clank that line "Do you have people?" was probably all good until R&C:TOD many years later, but Insomniac aren't going to go through all the games ensuring there will be nothing to ruin the story, then find that one line and completely scrap the whole idea or Ratchet's past?

It's not the end of the world, mearly just a single line that meant as much as the plumber saying stuff like "almost didn't recognise ya in high def"

Deleted user

Also in ToD he said to Talwyn that he had vever seen a Lombax before. What about Angela? She played a big role on GC and she was a lombax (according to ACiT). So did he forget her or didn't he saw the simmilaraties between them. Atleast that's one thing that they should had checked. Well maybe they didn't plan Angela to be a lombax or they just didn't had that Ratchet's past idea in their minds.

I thought that Ratchet simply didn't realise Angela was a lombax?

As for the "Do you have people" line, that was never answered as "yes, Ratchet has more fellow Lombaxes", it was left open, with Ratchet shrugging his shoulders in an "I-Don't-Know" kind of way…

Insomniac could've forgotten during that time…

Also in ToD he said to Talwyn that he had vever seen a Lombax before. What about Angela? She played a big role on GC and she was a lombax (according to ACiT). So did he forget her or didn't he saw the simmilaraties between them. Atleast that's one thing that they should had checked. Well maybe they didn't plan Angela to be a lombax or they just didn't had that Ratchet's past idea in their minds.

It's interesting how during that WHOLE cinematic Ratchet didn't utter a word… I suspect Ratchet didn't bother mentioning Angela because he knew her for maybe a few months before leaving the galaxy. And she didn't seem to know any more than Ratchet about Lombaxes (they never made any mention that they were of the same race)

It's also possible that Ratchet didn't know he himself was a Lombax for a while.
As for that line about "your people", I always thought they were referring to Ratchet's management team (or whatever sports stars have). I'd never thought about it as a statement of race.

I was on the Internet a while back when I tought: "Wait a minute…", I picked up the manual from my copy of Ratchet and Clank and it turns out my suspicions were right. The character page from the manual, on the Ratchet part, it says "…His friends a family discribe him as a dreamer…" Note the quote "…his friends and family…" in ACiT it explains that Ratchet's mother was in an alernate deimmension and his father was dead. So what does the manual mean by his friends and family? Did ACiT create a plot-hole? Leave your toughts here in this thread.

Ratchet's mother isn't in the lombax dimension, she died during the attack, it even said so in the game when Alister was telling Ratchet what happened, the was no mention of her being in the lombax dimension mentioned anywhere in the game.

As for what it says in the manual, that's most likely just an error by the writer or like lombaxdude42 said, they didn't have the stories planned out yet as it was only the first game

Deleted user

Ratchet's mother isn't in the lombax dimension, she died during the attack, it even said so in the game when Alister was telling Ratchet what happened, the was no mention of her being in the lombax dimension mentioned anywhere in the game.

As for what it says in the manual, that's most likely just an error by the writer or like lombaxdude42 said, they didn't have the stories planned out yet as it was only the first game

Hmmm, he actually said "…She was already gone." they don't say she died (note that I'm not sure about this, but it was what he said).

Hmmm, he actually said "…She was already gone." they don't say she died (note that I'm not sure about this, but it was what he said).

Azimuth does say 'she was already gone' but that could be taken either as she's already left or she was killed.
I'm guessing for the first games IG weren't too worried about Ratchet's past as there are few references, but it was a great way to tie the future series together.