Thread: Should we have to be forced to use only the Heli-Pack to tra

Remember the Thruster-Pack that was present in the original Ratchet and Clank trilogy and also in Tools of the Destruction. Everyone should whos ever played the first game because it was necessary to use in order to beat the game but however from then onward in the game sequels the player was always given the option right from the start in the pause menu to choose whether they wanted to use the Heli-Pack or Thruster-Pack for gliding and long jumping purposes. But for some reason this option was absent in A Crack in Time and the Thruster-Pack has been on a 6 year hiatus. But now with Into The Nexus which is suppose to be a return to the "traditional style of gameplay", I see is the perfect time to bring it back. Taking out the Thruster-Pack really hurt the franchise as it came out of nowhere and was a complete shock as there were no indications that insomniac were planning on removing it. This intern forced players that had grown accustomed to the Thruster-Pack to now only use the Heli-Pack. also it doesn't matter whether you never used the Thruster-Pack and only strictly used the Heli-Pack throughout an entire game as a majority do, but what it did show you as a player preferred to use one over the other and it was always nice to have that freedom of choice in what style of gameplay you wanted to play as. Also contrary what casual gamers may believe the Thruster-Pack and Heli-Pack are not the same and there movements and feel are completely different and will effect how a gamer plays, so I'm asking for anyone whos ever liked to use the Thruster-Pack and to all those die hard Ratchet and Clank fans who pressed start right at the beginning of a game and immediately switched to the Thruster-Pack for their support in trying to get Insomniac take notice and realize that the Thruster-Pack is rudimentary part of the Ratchet and Clank formula and foundry.

Also if you like Please Check out my Facebook on this topic at
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Have-the-Thruster-Pack-Return-and-Included-In-Into-The-Nexus-Petition/578638108859595

Insomniac have made it clear that the only backpack Ratchet can use is the heli-pack.

I too love the thruster pack, and chpse it in all of the older games, but ITN is too close to being released for them to add something as major as a new (old) packpack.

The screenshot you saw was a jetpack using a very similar model to the thuster pack. It is likely to function like a Levitator from R&C 2.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to Ratchet Galaxy! Hopefully we'll get the thruster pack in the next game.

Deleted user

Yeah, the game comes out in a month. No amount of petitioning can get it in at such short notice. On the upside: Jetpack. And like RR said, it could be in the next game.

Also, welcome to Ratchet Galaxy.

Well this is a very poor choice of Insomniac and I want them to see these complaints and hear my aggravation so they never forget the Thruster-Pack in a Ratchet and Clank game again, and also I was always curious why they felt on not including it in ACIT, I think I would have liked the game more if I could experiment and see what combos I could come up using the Thruster-Pack and Hover boots

and I understand the game is almost finished and the Thruster-Pack probably isn't going be in it and am sure the game will still be great, even thou I have to use the sluggish and slow Heli-Pack, but im not going to be happy about it because If the older game can handle it then I hold insomniac to that high standard

User image

Also this image that you are referring which is only going to be used for these new Jetpack sequences in Into The Nexus. Now they call this a Jetpack but you can clearly tell this is the Thrust-Pack by comparing it to the Thruster-Pack image I provided from tools of destruction to the littlest detail, for example those two clips that appear on each wing. so to add insult to injury they have model of the Thruster-Pack in the game but the player is unable to use it as a traditional alterative mode to the Heli-Pack, but only in these new jetpack sequences(which im sure are fun) but that's rubbing salt in the wound because what they should of just done was use the model for the levitator wings, this way it wouldn't be so upsetting seeing the Thruster-Pack for those short segments as they are forced to use the Heli-Pack thru the entire game. I also think it shows a laziness on their part that the Thruster-Pack wings are already programed into the game but they wont just program the rest of the move set for them, the gliding and long jumping, in order be used as it always has been used an alterative to the Heli-Pack

and thanks for having me and I like the debate

I started this Petition the second I knew on August 28th the day Insomniac first announced the thruster-pack was not going to be in the game in there first live stream of it. since then I have made very clear to insomniac that this is a big mistake and that it should be in the game
I'm sorry I know it a little ridiculous
But I just don't want to go thru the entire game using the Heli-Pack

http://www.twitch.tv/insomniacgames/b/452906815
skip to 13:45

You should try and use the edit feature to edit your previous post rather than double posting.

It is not very hard to grab an old asset like the thruster-pack and use it again for something else, they do it all the time. But with the constant control changes to Ratchet in the past few years they simply wanted to return Ratchet to his classic controls for this one. Getting his moves right takes a lot of hard work. The thruster-pack would need to be completely re-made, and that would likely take a fair amount of work.

If I were to take a guess as to why it isn't going to be in, I think it would be because the hoverboots act as a sort of replacement. The greatest thing about the thruster-pack was the ability to boost places faster, and jump greater distances much faster. Hoverboots fix all that. The only thing is that high jump. In R&C1 - ToD the heli-pack SUCKED at high-jumps. It was very slow. From what I've seen in Nexus, the heli-pack seems to be a little faster at high jumping.

I will always miss the thruster-pack, but at least we'll get the charge boots, and maybe, just maybe the heli-pack won't be that bad?

Deleted user

That's what I was thinking, too. It might be too complicated to create a mechanic that can utilize both the Thruster Pack and Hover-Boots, and just having both may have seemed redundant to them.

Honestly, the Thruster-pack is kind of useless, the only thing it was good for was for those buttons in the first game and having a proper double jump.
Since Ratchet can double jump on his own now, the Thruster-pack has been deemed useless as it actually has a shorter high jump than the Heli-pack.

Well, the main advantage of the thruster pack in R&C 2, 3 and ToD was a faster alternative to the heli-pack, but it looks from the gameplay footage of Nexus that the heli-pack is sped up to the extent that it's actually faster than the thruster-pack ever was and if they'd tried to make a thruster pack faster in this game, it would probably be closer to an instantaneous teleport than anything! emoji

Personally, I only ever equipped the thruster pack in spacey levels like Maktar Nebular or Obani Moons, or Apogee Station because obviously helicopter blades need an atmosphere to function and to it just made more sense to have the thruster pack equipped for those levels!

But quite why they didn't bother to include the thruster pack in this game is beyond me! But then again, like I said, with the speed of the heli-pack increased, it's not entirely necessary, and given that the hover boots make both heli and thruster packs pretty much obsolete,

and erm….
I'm really trying to find a positive way of looking at the fact there's no thruster pack, but I can't really achieve anything better than a neutral perspective over the lack of thruster pack… emoji

I'm really trying to find a positive way of looking at the fact there's no thruster pack, but I can't really achieve anything better than a neutral perspective over the lack of thruster pack… emoji

Think of it this way, without the Thruster-pack, there'll be more space for more important stuff, like vehichles, which I'm in desperate need of.

Well first of all none of us have played the game yet so we don't know how it truly plays like and feels, I guess will just have to wait and see. But from what I can tell the Heli-Pack looks like it still has the same slow and sluggish animations its always had, for example when Ratchet high jumps with the Heli-Pack it still takes two thrusts from the propeller on Clanks head to get up to its highest point compared to the Thruster-Pack which was a single Burst. and don't get me started on the Heli-pack horrendous long jump which looks like it hasn't changed since R&C1 which is still some kind of weird slow hop. I depended a lot on the Thruster-Pack for long jumping in and out of combat and now being forced to use the Heli-Pack i'm going end up taking a lot more damage because it so slow. and also if the Heli-Pack could work with the hover boots in ACIT and then there no reason why the Thruster-Pack can't work with it. and I can't believe you guys are willing to accept this mediocrity

I'm really trying to find a positive way of looking at the fact there's no thruster pack, but I can't really achieve anything better than a neutral perspective over the lack of thruster pack…

Think of it this way, without the Thruster-pack, there'll be more space for more important stuff, like vehichles, which I'm in desperate need of.

First of all this is 2013, there no such thing as space, this game should have everything in it including the kitchen sink and we should be able to have are cake(The Thruster-Pack) and eat(use) it too.

I'm really trying to find a positive way of looking at the fact there's no thruster pack, but I can't really achieve anything better than a neutral perspective over the lack of thruster pack…

First of all this is 2013, there no such thing as space, this game should have everything in it including the kitchen sink and we should be able to have are cake(The Thruster-Pack) and eat(use) it too.

*Looks at how much of ACiT was cut because of space*

Personally, I prefer the Heli-Pack - it is slower indeed, but always looked more cool to me. I'm affraid most of people didn't even knew there was a Thruster-Pack in ToD and Insomniacs realized it was kinda useless (don't kill me for what I said). Besides, I think the other reason Insoniac didn't use Thruster-Pack in ACiT was that it took some space, and they almost reached the limit of what Blu-Ray disc can store (yes, there is something like 'too much space' in 2013). Anyway, welcome to Ratchet Galaxy emoji