Thread: General Platformer Thread

Since the off-topic torch was lit on my other thread, I just made thisto talk about platformers, a genre which I'm sure most of us enjoy.

hate 'em.

Okay I don't hate them. But I don't enjoy all of them, just: Rayman (all but Rayman 1), Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter, LittleBigPlanet and the PS1 Spyro games

hate 'em.

Okay I don't hate them. But I don't enjoy all of them, just: Rayman (all but Rayman 1), Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter, LittleBigPlanet and the PS1 Spyro games

So you enjoy all the ones which are actually good.

Well it wouldn't make much sense if I enjoyed the ones I hadn't played that were bad.

I grew up with platformers and I still love them today. Actually the only evolution of genre I've been throught in 3rd person shooters.

A few of my favorites are, obviously, Ratchet and Sly. But on the other end are Mario, Sonic. 3D platformers are still my favorites today.

My favourite platformers are the series Rayman , Crash Bandicoot , Spyro : The Dragon (version PS1) , Jak&Daxter , R&C , Sly Cooper , Super Mario Bros and LittleBigPlanet. I grew with platformers since my youth emoji.

Didn't everyone grow up with Platformers?

Well anyone who didn't sucks anyway.

I played my first game when I was 3, so 1999. That was the platforming age. Kids nowadays groww up with FPS… I think.

I know. But I guess that thing has always kind of been around, such as Doom, we were real kids though (well you were, I started with Rayman 2 on PC)

But I guess the whole CoD and Battlefield thing is a lot bigger than kids playing GTA and Doom were (Although a big deal was made over GTA)

The times, they are a-changin'.

Crash Bandicoot. What a legend.

But I guess the whole CoD and Battlefield thing is a lot bigger than kids playing GTA and Doom were (Although a big deal was made over GTA)

Sure it is, though GTA is probably the most popular PSP game around my sides… Ever since I saw a PSP I saw 6-8 years old kids from my school walking around big cities, stealing cars and shooting everyone in sight. Calling today's platformers "kids games" is a big misunderstanding - kids aren't playing them anymore. It's us, people who grew up on them (or somehow got hooked up to them as a 12 yers old…emoji and uderstand their awesomness… That also explains why aren't we seeing new IPs these days, they're just selling sentiment. Of course some kids still plays platformers, but I'm not sure if there's more of them, than adult or almost-adult people wishing to return to their childhood… Anyway, my favourite platformers are Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and Sonic series, though I like Jak and Daxter, LBP and LocoRoco as well.

In short, I guess now everyone thinks platformers are kids' games. Really, there's not the action as in FPS's and such. I really adore them, but they seem boring to everyone around me (in real life). I guess it'll be hard to make a good platformer game, and almost solely platformer, like CB.

In short, I guess now everyone thinks platformers are kids' games. Really, there's not the action as in FPS's and such. I really adore them, but they seem boring to everyone around me (in real life). I guess it'll be hard to make a good platformer game, and almost solely platformer, like CB.

Even harder is to make a platformer game that would sell really well. As usuall, cash is the problem…

Even harder is to make a platformer game that would sell really well. As usuall, cash is the problem…

In what way?

In what way?

As I mentioned before, there's not enough people interested in platformers anymore. While continuing old, established franchises like Ratchet & Clank, Mario or Sonic can pay back, making a new IP would be very risky for the producer.