Thread: Hopes for Ratchet and Clank PS4

Oh. I thought you meant like in R&C1 & 2 where the swingshot had an actual cable rather than a beam-thing. I always liked the cable from the first two games, I never liked how the swingshot just became a bland laser beam…

I liked it as a laser beam. And I agree that from ToD onwards they got lazy with the thing. They claim they were putting effort into making it easier to use, which may be true, but the effects and how it's connected to Ratchet really bugged me.

R&C3 had the best Swingshot in my opinion, and I hope it is visually more like that one. It would also be cool if they could expand on it's features a bit like in R&C2.

I would also like to see Ratchet's original ship not get blown up in the first 10 minutes of the game. I know Insomniac were really into that ship, and were pretty disappointed that it was only in the game for such a short while. Which is funny isn't it?

It's the HYPERSHOT you scrubs emoji

Anyway, I agree that after Deadlocked I really hated the Swingshot. You lost all of your momentum and it was just really stiff.
It may be easier to use but it's certainly not any more fun…

Anyway, I agree that after Deadlocked I really hated the Swingshot. You lost all of your momentum and it was just really stiff.

Agreed. Infact I would also like to call it the Hypershot, but they dropped that name with the dynamo. Which I don't think was too bad of an idea really.

Agreed. Infact I would also like to call it the Hypershot, but they dropped that name with the dynamo. Which I don't think was too bad of an idea really.

I never really associated the name with the fact that it was now both the Swingshot and the Dynamo but more with the fact that it was now a laser beam and not a chain.
Although I guess Swingshot just rolled off the tongue better than Hypershot.

Hypershot was a term used only in R&C3 because it did what the dynamo does. I once thought the same as you, but discovered that in Gladiator and ToD onwards it was not called the Hypershot for that reason.

Hypershot was a term used only in R&C3 because it did what the dynamo does. I once thought the same as you, but discovered that in Gladiator and ToD onwards it was not called the Hypershot for that reason.

It is the Hypershot in DL.
At least that's what they call it in Multiplayer.

Oh, well I guess I was wrong about that particular game. But I still stand by it being called the Swingshot in ToD, QfB, ACiT, A4O, FFA and ITN.

Oh, well I guess I was wrong about that particular game. But I still stand by it being called the Swingshot in ToD, QfB, ACiT, A4O, FFA and ITN.

Yes but that's because after DL, when it comes to returning gadgets, they try to play it pretty safe.
User image

Well they couldn't cut gadgets as incredible as the Swingshot and Gravity boots. But they couldn't add new ones (that last) either, so that kind of sucks.

Maybe on R&C PS4 they will introduce some new gadgets which are here to stay?

Well they couldn't cut gadgets as incredible as the Swingshot and Gravity boots. But they couldn't add new ones (that last) either, so that kind of sucks.

Maybe on R&C PS4 they will introduce some new gadgets which are here to stay?

No, I meant they try to keep things familiar.
Despite the Gravity Boots being in its third design by the time ToD was released they decided to go back to the Magnet Boots design because people would be more familiar with it.
Same thing with the Swingshot/Hypershot change.

Well I see their point with being lazy in designing those items. Why waste time on re-designing stuff that works. It's better they just focus their efforts on creating new things.

Well I see their point with being lazy in designing those items. Why waste time on re-designing stuff that works. It's better they just focus their efforts on creating new things.

Well, they could've reused the other, more advanced design for the Gravity Boots.
And the Swingshot is completely different in ToD, I was referring to the name.

There's more "Playing it safe" in the series than that after DL. For example reverting back to the original Wrench for ToD.

I do have a theory about how ToD was originally going to be a remake of the first game, but I was too lazy to post it here.

I think it practically IS a remake of the first game.

Trying to restart things
PS2 characters are dropped
Brand new galaxy
Brand new story line
Clank has all new abilities
Virtually no reference to any old locations, such as the phoenix and stuff
Old gadget names/designs return

R&C1
Ratchet being a prick to Clank
Short runty little evil villain

R&C2
bolt farming planet formula used
Glider clone

R&C3
Skydiving missions

Tools of Destruction was not afraid to borrow concepts from the games before it. And seeing as how it was the first game of the next generation, it wouldn't be too bad of a thing, seeing as how it's supposed to be self-sustaining, and allow for newcomers to not feel like they are required to have played the PS2 games (Metal Gear!) before playing these.

I think it practically IS a remake of the first game.

Trying to restart things
PS2 characters are dropped
Brand new galaxy
Brand new story line
Clank has all new abilities
Virtually no reference to any old locations, such as the phoenix and stuff
Old gadget names/designs return

R&C1
Ratchet being a prick to Clank
Short runty little evil villain

R&C2
bolt farming planet formula used
Glider clone

R&C3
Skydiving missions

Tools of Destruction was not afraid to borrow concepts from the games before it. And seeing as how it was the first game of the next generation, it wouldn't be too bad of a thing, seeing as how it's supposed to be self-sustaining, and allow for newcomers to not feel like they are required to have played the PS2 games (Metal Gear!) before playing these.

Well, it's not a totally new galaxy–that's for sure. Plus, VITTI said they were re-making all assests. That doesnt mean that everything is different and totally new-never-before-seen, it just means they using new assets to make returning…anything (EG, the swingshot). Now, Ratchet's wrench may look similar, but I'm sure they still rebuilt it.