Thread: Jak and Daxter - Official Thread

Since I've been on a Jak kick recently (and it seems everyone else has too) I decided to make a thread for future discussions about our favourite elf and his chipmunk friend.

So, to kick things off, what is everybody's favourite Jak and Daxter game and why?

The first one, I guess. Jak wasn't an @#$% and it had really nice platforming sections. The only other game I played was Jak 2, which actually wasn't TOO bad, but it got so hard I never finished it. Never played jak 3.

The only one's I've played are Jak 1, 2 and Final Frontier. Didn't beat a single one, because I couldn't get through. I don't really like the concept of either. I think Final Frontier may have been in my PS2 the longest.

Deleted user
Since I've been on a Jak kick recently (and it seems everyone else has too) I decided to make a thread for future discussions about our favourite elf and his chipmunk friend.

So, to kick things off, what is everybody's favourite Jak and Daxter game and why?

daxters an otsel anyway thats tough each jak game had a downfall weather it was no weapons not enough weapons or to many racing parts but i guess i have to say jak 3

It's the first one to me, for being just a pure, classic platformer.

The first one, to me at least, got boring quickly.
It starts off strong, every level in the first hubworld is great, but after you go to Rock Village the game just nose dives into dull and tedious tasks. The only really fun level after the Fire Canyon is Gol and Maia's citadel, the last level of the game!
Not to say that Jak II (my personal favourite) didn't have tedious missions either, but they were spread out more evenly thanks to the game's structure. For every Spider Cave in Jak II there were 2 or 3 Forbidden Jungles.

The only J&D game I played from beginning to end was 2 and it was good (not outstanding, neither bad, just ok). As for the its difficulty, yes it was hard, but that was part of the charm, in a way… However, the final boss battle was pure torment, I remember failing so many times, again and again until my fingers were numb, but when finally defeated that gigantic metalhead… ahh, sweet, sweet VICTORY! emoji
Wait, what?!! emoji
I've played 1 and 3 with my cousin, but not the full thing, just random parts of the game. J&D 1 wasn't bad, but it got kinda boring really quick as it was repetitive with all that orb collecting and stuff. However, it was somewhat memorable… I remember a part where you had to catch fish for a guy, gather buffaloes for another guy, hatch a dino egg for somebody else, and other similar side quests…, and of course, how can I ever forget of the shark in the sea/ocean that swallows you whole if you swim too far, so similar to the one in R&C.
With J&D 3, it's a totally different story, that game was awesome, though sadly it was the one I had the fewest opportunities to actually play. Highlights: free roaming + desert cars, the blue angel wings power and the raptors you could ride (I had so much fun playing around with those by trying to climb on any possible building and more).
Oh, and Jak X, I remembered I played that too…. Well, blowing up cars was fun, but it definitely WASN'T a J&D game.
Ahh,… good old memories. I remember better what video games I played that actual "real life events". emoji

That's funny, because the final boss I had least difficulty with.
The second fight with Praxis and another boss later on are the bane of my existence though because of how luck is such a big factor because of the little minions they send out. With the final boss, if you know how to shoot and dodge well, you've pretty much won the fight already.

Most of the people haven't finished that game here, Darkstar. We should try to refrain from naming the final bosses.

My favourite is Jak 3. Everyone knows this by now. Oh and Jak II is my least favourite. Everyone knows this too.

It's not really that big of a spoiler out of context, is it?

Sort of. To be safe, I'd add a spoiler tag or change the name to "final boss". That's why I'm trying to be vague, so that I don't draw people to the spoiler.

I really love J&D: TPL, along with R&C it was one of the first games I've ever played. I adore the platforming, collecting stuff and the environment. But I've finished it so many times it's getting boring and probably the next time I'm playing it, it will only be to do a deathless run (wish me luck).

As for Jak II, I've finished it just once, but I'm ready to finish it again and make sure I collect all the stuff! I know it sounds crazy…

In Jak 3, I'm not planning on playing the story again. It doesn't feel like a platformer or shooter anymore, with so many Unexpected Schmup (that's a Trope) thrown in. I won't mind getting 100% though.

What none of you has mentioned yet is the spin-off, Daxter! That's a game enjoyed, with many collectables, secrets, side missions in the form of dreams etc.

As for The Lost Frontier, ugh. It doesn't feel like a Jak game anymore and I think it may have collectables, but it poorly handles them. I may have missed something, but it seems like once you get past a certain point before the final boss, you just cannot go back. The only way to grab 100% of stuff is through hero mode.

I don't like Daxter. It's plot had potential, but ends up full of holes and doesn't really feel like It's supposed to happen in the same world Jak II is set in.

I also found Daxter's gameplay to be rather boring, as most of the platforming and combat was just more of the same. I may be wrong about a lot of this in most peoples eyes, but I cant help feeling this way about Daxter.

Daxter was my second favorite for the PSP, the first one being R&C SM. I always liked to collect stuff (that's why I can't go past a single crate in R&C without breaking it, even though I have more than enough bolts) and the whole bug squashing thing was fun.

I don't like Daxter. It's plot had potential, but ends up full of holes and doesn't really feel like It's supposed to happen in the same world Jak II is set in.

I also found Daxter's gameplay to be rather boring, as most of the platforming and combat was just more of the same. I may be wrong about a lot of this in most peoples eyes, but I cant help feeling this way about Daxter.

It's okay, you made your point. At least most of the levels introduce some gimmick/mechanic to vary the gameplay a little. It still feels more canon than TLF, if you ask me.