Thread: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Thoughts from the gameplay today...

1) The Planet is Megapolis, which means we finally return to the Bogon Galaxy after all these years!

2) Nefarious looks gooood -- his design is a mix of Ps2 and Ps3 designs with his signature purple chrome (if only Lawrence were here).

3) This game takes place after Into The Nexus (confirmed) but is a purely standalone title.

4) Weapon and Health Upgrades are back and better than ever.

5) Goons-4-Less? Is Insomniac trying to be PC to "thugs?" That was kinda unnecessary....

6) The ending level is part of the Trailer, but rift-hopping will only be occurring during special times in gameplay.

7) No name for the Lombax yet -- however this game is set to be released sometime in the Ps5s launch window, so....2020?

I will be sure to write a news post on this shortly emoji

I thought they called them Goons 4 less was because its the name for Thugs 4 less in another dimension.

The Planet is Megapolis, 

It's Mega*lo*polis, a brand new location

Yeah the subtitles for the civilians do say 'Megalopolis Civilian' - Insomniac said on Twitter right after the game was announced that we'd see 'alternate dimension versions of old favorites', so this must be an alternate version of Endako/Megapolis!

That could also explain why the Thugs-4-Less are now called 'Goons-4-Less', I did notice they have different accents than the Nexus thugs too, which at first I thought was just them changing it up a bit, but maybe that's actually a sign that they aren't the Thugs from our dimension?

Also, 60FPS WAS JUST CONFIRMED!!!

Here's a link to the interview: It's written in Japanese and when translated, the title says 'Ratchet & Crank: Lift Apartment' which is great 
filename7.gif

The article says: "while allowing the player to select from two types of resolution and frame rate. One is "30FPS at 4K resolution" and the other is "Lower resolution at 60FPS". You will be able to select either of these."

Edit: here's ANOTHER article from GamesRadar which actually reveals quite a lot about the game's story - it is hinted at that the new lombax is in fact an alternate version of Ratchet: 

"And with Rift Apart, we're trying to tell a story that involved seeing another version of these characters, who have never really become the heroes that they could be. So we immediately started talking about this duality of multiple dimensions. And then, of course, we already had this device from the franchise that does what we need it to do. So we've spun a yard that incorporates the Dimensionator.""

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! BOGON IS BACK ! !!! MAYBE SLIM IS BACK ASWELLL !?!?!?!?!

Why do I get the feeling we will be seeing an alternate-reality Clank?

This is what js said about the optimization. We'll have to wait and see, but man, I am happy that this game's running at 60fps!

This mysterious planet is most likely Megalopolis when Nefarious took over. Technically, there are only four planets shown in the game so far: Megalopolis, Sargasso, Torren IV, and Ardolis.

Dallas and Jaunita are back, and Dallas has his hair again! Will he have his original voice actor?

Absolutely! Definitely gonna be using the 60fps mode!

Ah I just noticed that subtitle too, you beat me to it! filename9.gif

Does this mean that the Nefarious we saw in Megalopolis is possibly an alternate version from this dimension? Maybe that's why he's missing the crack on his eye? If so, how and why is he going after our R&C? Or maybe it is the normal Nefarious that somehow retreated to this dimension and came back years later?

I have so many questions right now, my brain hurts filename7.gif

That transition from cutscene to gameplay though. So smooth. Also rendering the areas after each dimension jump, I guess we're really gonna see PS5's real power.
*Sees the newest poll* Can there be an 'All of the above' choice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mchpT686aM

Check out the first full series of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart!

I redrew Dr Nefarious in his Rift Apart Design. The CG model is exactly the same as the ACIT model, but with his body colored purple. His armor is more shiny too, with ray-traced reflections on his dome.

His scar on his face is gone, and his red eyes have been replaced with yellow cervical-eye sockets. His symbol on his head and chest are different designs as well, and his rib-tubes have energy going through them.

Honestly, I like his design: it’s a combination of all three of Nefarious’s designs in one, and it looks good. Now...where’s Lawrence?

just beat rac 2002  to 100% with my brother took 4 years . totally worth it

Another article from Washington Post with an interview with Marcus Smith and Mike Daly. A couple more little tidbits here:

More info on the Burst Pistol:

"Another example of that is the burst pistol, where it can stay accurate if you fire it slowly or you can just pull the trigger all the way down to fire quickly and sacrifice that accuracy for rate of fire."

They also kinda blamed Qwark for the reboot filename9.gif

“Fans of the franchise are very invested in the story line that we have been building. The last time we built within that universe was in ['Into The Nexus']," Daly said. "We’re sticking to that storyline mostly because that’s the one that we were building to this entire time. The movie and the [2016] ‘Ratchet & Clank’ reboot, it was a retelling as told by Qwark, a character who’s largely unreliable. So we figured we’d just stick with the much more reliable, canonical history that we’d been developing over time.”

Man I'm so happy we're back to the original timeline again!

Seb

I redrew Dr Nefarious in his Rift Apart Design. The CG model is exactly the same as the ACIT model, but with his body colored purple. His armor is more shiny too, with ray-traced reflections on his dome.

His scar on his face is gone, and his red eyes have been replaced with yellow cervical-eye sockets. His symbol on his head and chest are different designs as well, and his rib-tubes have energy going through them.

Honestly, I like his design: it’s a combination of all three of Nefarious’s designs in one, and it looks good. Now...where’s Lawrence?

So clean 

New meme format.