Thread: Earth quakes...

Deleted user

Just felt like chatting about something different…

Anyhow, some of you may have heard about the big quake that happened in New Zealand recently, well I actually don't live in or even near Christchurch (the city that was mostly effected by it) but I was rather stunned at what happened there. Thankfully no lives were lost, but the quake was about as strong as the devastating one in Haiti a few months ago!

So tell me guys, have any of you actually experienced an Earth quake before?

Being in NZ, I've experienced many. Mostly small-ish ones around 3-4 on the Richer scale, but a few years ago I experienced a 6.8 one, it didn't cause much damage in this town (besides smashed bottles at the supermarkets) but it did scare the heck out of me and the family while we tried to sleep emoji the desk was rattling a lot and some of my sculptures fell off the shelf too.

Not for me where I live. For me, it's mostly either a Snowstorm or Rainshower.

But if an earthquake dose happen, I would be freaking out.

Deleted user

Apparently there was a slight Earthquake where I live back in July of this year, but the funny thing is that I didn't felt it at all. I was actually walking my dog when that happened.

But it's extremely rare to get Earthquakes in Ontario. I usually get big rainfalls from leftover hurricanes from other provinces, countries or states in my hometown.

I had earthquakes few times before but luckly not only it dosn't happen often but they are only small ones where I live (baby like earthquakes really) the only time I felt them is when I'm in my bed trying to sleep then felt a small tiny shake how like a small vibration for a few seconds and that's it but it's been months since the last one hit maybe about a year or so.

Well, Moscow is a lucky enough city not to have earthquakes, tornadoes, floods and those kind of things. So I have no idea what's that like. But I'd be terrified if I found out.

We had a terribly hot summer this year though: 40 degrees Celsius (about 104 degrees Fahrenheit) during a month and a half with almost no rain to bring the heat down. That was disasterous

We had a terribly hot summer this year though: 40 degrees Celsius (about 104 degrees Fahrenheit) during a month and a half with almost no rain to bring the heat down. That was disasterous

yikes that sounds awful emoji

I coped well but it had a really bad impact on the nature and many people's health. So yeah… it's nasty.

goodness I feel sorry for nature and the people who didn't cope in the heat very well.

Deleted user

The weather in Toronto was pretty humid this summer as well. There were moments where the power went out twice due to everyone using so much electricity and air conditioning.

Where I was at wasn't too bad though because I was in a place that provided many trees. Which means, a lot of shade for me. Plus also a pool was there at my summer job too. But those who worked in downtown… that's a whole different story. emoji

Yeah, I heard about that…
I've never experienced an earthquake, but I do know that earthquakes are only dangerous because of how humans build buildings, if we all just lived in fields, then earthquakes wouldn't be a problem emoji oh well!

Deleted user
Well, Moscow is a lucky enough city not to have earthquakes, tornadoes, floods and those kind of things. So I have no idea what's that like. But I'd be terrified if I found out.

Wow that does sound extreme! I've only ever experienced heat up to 37C when I was in Spain this year.

But yeah, Earth quakes are rather frightening though. Especially knowing the history in my home town with them… but yeah, NZ is right on top of a faultline along the tectonic plates so it's obvious why we get so much quakes. As well as a few volcanoes and lots of mountains!

They happen all the tim ein Malaysia, but I don't have them in Singapore :P

Oh yeah I have heard about that lately! It's so crazy what happened in Christchurch emoji but I dont live there, I live somewhere in the North Island. But I have felt many smaller quakes as well

Deleted user

We just had another one yesterday, I think it was 5.3 >.>

it didn't do much, but it went on for a few seconds while I was sitting here at my desk, made the desk move but didnt make any of my figures fall, luckily emoji

want to know something creepy?
I live in the North Island, i didn't feel a thing, but i woke up at the exact same time the earthquake hit. (Around 4, 4:30)
I had no clue about the earthquake till next morning but i still woke up for it.
(Twilight zone music plays)
Scary, huh?