Thread: Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus

Roughly. The beta is definately shinyer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't his fur different too?

No, I took a closer look. It's just the lighning that makes it look different.

Hmmm, it seems like it's sharper in the final build but I'll take your word for it.

It's nice how the Thugs in ItN finally shoot where Ratchet is actually heading.

Yea, I like that ItN required a fair bit more skill than the average Ratchet & Clank game. Maybe the PS4 game will also feature enemies that know what they're doing.

It's nice how the Thugs in ItN finally shoot where Ratchet is actually heading.

It would have been nicer if the game was running at 60FPS so that avoiding those shots wouldn't be entirely luck based.

It wasn't entirely luck based, but yeah, still missin' the 60 FPS…

It wasn't entirely luck based, but yeah, still missin' the 60 FPS…

It kinda was.
The bullet is slow enough that you can see it on time and press the jump button to avoid it, but the delay between the time you press the button and the command is registred is enough for that shot to hit you despite your fast enough reflexes to avoid it had the game been running at 60FPS or higher.

It would have been nicer if the game was running at 60FPS so that avoiding those shots wouldn't be entirely luck based.

I'd say your exaggerating just a little bit. Sure it doesn't run as smooth as most of the games before it, but as I have said before, I can't remember ever being killed and not seeing it coming. You speak as if the game is almost unplayable at its current framerate.

Chances are, they cut the frames per second in favor of nicer/more visuals. I can't say I approve of this, but at least they did their best and brought us a good looking and fun-to-play game. For that I am grateful.

Maybe we can hope the PS4 game will run at 60fps with incredible graphics… although given current trends with AAA game developers, I wouldn't count on it.

The thing is that IS a problem. It isn't necessarily unplayable, but there were various times where enemies cheap shot the player in a number of areas, most notably the Mangler and the dropships on Silox.

I'm going to actually go back on what I said just because I feel the mangler was completely out of place. It's patterns seemed much too hard for me to get used to, and I screwed up the timing enough times to consider that there was something off about those fights. I mean it's just a wave machine, how could that honestly hit me?

While we are talking about seemingly broken battles, I will add that ItN's camera is the reason I always prefer the third-person camera over the lock-strafe one on the PS2. Because you pretty much have full control of the camera the entire time, it couldn't be re-positioned so well for certain moments. Like in the arena it felt way to close to Ratchet, and during the final boss, where pointing the cross hairs at the monster would mean I couldn't see the ground.

The worst part about ItN's camera is the fact that the camera doesn't zoom-in if you decide to simply press R1 instead of aiming with L1, which makes you wonder why the hell it zooms-in in the first place.

Also, to be fair, Lock Strafe mode in the older games actually pulled the camera away from the player and made circle strafing (one of the safest and most effective techniques in the R&C games) much easier to do.
I'm not sure if this is the case for ItN aswell since I haven't used it much, primarily because it's basically tank control mode locking the camera even when using the wrench.

I never really liked using lock-strafe, because I mastered third-person already, so really there was never any point for me to go with lock-strafe.

I know now, that it technically has a better button layout, but Ratchet & Clank games have never really been hard anyway, so it wasn't so hard to dominate using the third-person control scheme.

I think the stuff you can do in Lock-Strafe mode are just cooler.
Much like a fighting game you can just use the same move over and over again (TPS) or you can change things up with Lock-Strafe and pull off some flashy looking attacks.