Thread: What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

I'm currently playing Killzone: Mercenary and Terraria.

I'm getting sick of dying in Terraria, and the main character in Killzone" Mercenary!

I'm switching between Tales of Grace F and Tales of Xillia.

I've been playing Resistance: Burning Skies (Vita) this weekend. The first time I played it was on an airplane and got motion sickness like some games do to me. For some games I just have to put the camera sentifity all the way to the left, so I didn't think it had anything to do with the fact I was in the air.

Turns out it was. Cause I picked the game up again while safely in the ground and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not too deep into FPS, but this one seems to be better than the rest. I've only played Fall of Man besides BS, but recently got Resi3 and Retribution, so we'll see which I credits I've got to see.

If you play Resistance: Fall of Man, Resistance 2 nd then Resistance 3 you will notice they are all directly linked up in a trilogy. Retribution is set around the time of Fall of Man, and being like a cross between Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2 it does an okay job. Some interesting new characters, and the themes appear fairly onsistent. But it doesn't add anything new to the games, and still sits on the sidelines (Unlike Killzone's PSP spin-off, Liberation, which bridged Killzone 1 and 2!)

As fun as Burning skies may be, I've never played it and probably will not plan on it in the future. It's graphics look pretty bad, and from what I've gathered the story has several inconsistencies. I watched a little on Youtube and could see how their cutscenes were trying to copy Resistance 3, but they just looked cheap. I guess they didn't have a big budget and being they are really new and had to make it ready for launch I'll excuse all of that, because it sounds like the gameplay is pretty solid. It will probably always remain as the 1 Resistance I'll never play though, my list of 'wanted games' is already full of perfectly fine games.

I think the graphics look amazing! Up until a few years ago, all of that stuff was sci-fi to me.

I'm not really deep into Resistance. In my eyes is just another FPS and I can't really connect with Nathan Hale. I like Riley in BS better, but there's still a long way to go in character design. I like how you have a compagnion named Ellie though.

I've been playing Final Fantasy XIII. It's great.

I've been playing Final Fantasy XIII. It's great.

Thank you.

I'm at the final day of Lightning Returns. The ending'd better be as good as XIII or I swear these sequels should never have exsisted.

Just finished main story of Batman: Arkham City. But there's still so many to complete.

Where the dream ends, a nightmare begins. Only to wake up to a new dawn.

I wanted to give a little ‘spoiler free’ review of Lightning Returns. The final chapter of my very beloved Final Fantasy XIII franchise. I got into the series ‘bout a year ago. Like how Lightning stated it: ‘’Times path was no longer certain at the time’’. Lets just say that future didn’t look so bright for me a year ago. Then I stumbled on my salvation, a video game I purchased a few days before doom. It was the world of Cocoon and Pulse that drove me away from my own. Walking through the Sunleth Waterscape which was designed so beautifully that I could actually feel the sun burning on my skin. All guided by an amazing memorable score. It was the journey of my life and left me so perfectly with its magical ending that made me fill a few cups with my own tears. For when you lose something important, you want it back. You’d sacrifice anything. Things might not be in your favour at first, but in your own way you can make it right again.

But at this point I knew that XIII-2 existed and XIII-3 was in the making. For a while I left XIII-2 alone because I knew that nothing could beat the so perfectly made XIII. But obviously my bad luck hadn’t run out and I thought it was time to return to my beloved fantasy world. Only to see it being ruined and destroyed. Shadows casted over XIII by an unnecessary sequel. It took away all that made XIII a perfect game to me. It took away the story, the characters, the music and even the world and mythology as I knew them. In your own way you can make it right again. But by doing so you will pay for all you done, you salvation is now your black hole. Where who you saved will disappear into. That’s a very far sought new plot…

But there where XIII-2 left off, XIII-3 picks it up. And while I wasn’t able to get myself to trust this game until the bitter end, I loved playing it until the very last letter rolled of the credits.

Story
Like I said, it picks up right after the moment that Lightning returns to her crystal stasis and wakes up 500 later. 13 days before the world ends, a world threatened by the Chaos. You are Lightning, just Lightning. The Savior, chosen by god, who will appear on the final day and will lead the Souls to a new world. And guess what, it features the XIII plot ánd XIII-2. That’s more than XIII-2 ever did.

Gameplay
Majora’s Mask ripoff? Hailz no! Where Majora’s Mask became too boring before the moon ever collided with the ground I stood on, the clock in XIII-3 was a very nice addition. The clock didn’t feel like a time limit, yet is was more of a compass. It told you what quests were open and what places you could go to. Like the Warren area in Luxerian you can only access during 00:00 and 06:00 or Luka who will only sell her tears between 11:00 and 19:00. It was your compass and gave your playthrough order. Oh, you got 5 sidequests going and feel like drowning in them? Don’t worry, just look at the clock, estimate the time you will spend on it and move on to a quest that opens later. This is why no day feels the same.

Battle System
It just as familiar as it is new. The more action oriented quick passed gameplay made Lightning Return stand out from the rest, very unique. In short; you can buy/find/win Garbs, the ever famous new fashionable fighting costumes. While each Garb looks different, they also have special abilities. Though I must confess I was more interested in what the Garb looked like. I skipped all of the dresses and sexy stuff, for this is not what Lightning would ever want to wear. Equilibrium, Silent Guardian and The Nocture were the Garbs I used through the biggest part of the game, with the Guardian as my main ‘Schemata’. All Garbs can use 4 different attacks and you can take 3 Garbs to battle. All of your favourite attacks, spells and defence are still there. Imperil, Beat Down, Fire, Heavy Guard… you name it.

The battle doesn’t stimulate you to spam the X-button anymore. This time its an advantage to be a woman, cause you have to do everything at one. Keep track of your HP, mind your 3 ATB gauges, keep an eye on your foe(s) and most of all… keep track of which button is which attack and the order of your Garbs. During the game you will switch through the different Schemata (the new Paradigm) which all have their own ATB gauge. You have to teach yourself to do this blindly.

You can still press R2 to bring up the stats on your foe to see its weaknesses, stagger conditions and immunities. Memories all this info and use the attacks that will make his health drain faster. Also… make sure you do the Guarding right. There’s no other party members to heal you, this time its about preventing losing health rather than being prepared to heal yourself quickly. You can guard attacks with your shield or make attacks deal less damage.

Characters
The gang’s all here. That’s what the cover of the manual cover managed to spoil as soon as I opened the box. All of my beloved XIII and my little less beloved XIII-2 characters made an appearance in the game. The game also introduced a few new characters of its own, my favourite must be Lumina. Who’s final reveal was more than just a little impressive.

Music
Prepare your ears for the best kind of nostalgia made its way to XIII-3. Dust to Oerba, Barthandelus theme, Blinded by Light, The Promise, Prelude etc. This caused me more than just a few cheers and tears. While the game got its own slick remix of Blinded by Light, hearing the original again was even more awesome. XIII-2 had to dump the orchestrated music to make place for techno and grunt. I’m glad SE decided that this was one of the worst trades they ever made.

Graphics
While I don’t judge a game for its graphics, anyone will notice how most of the people’s faces are just texture and don’t really express anything. There’s like 5 different hair styles, 10 animations and 3 poisonous colors for Adornments (ugly glasses, animals tails, tats that sort of thing) Except for the main characters that were trice the polys, the other NPC’s didn’t leave an impression for most of them looked the same and moved the same.

Another thing is that I counted 2 slick and amazing pre-rendered cut scenes. XIII had about one million of those and they were what drove me to just pick up the controller, change my tactics and go the hell again when I was stuck at a boss. But all my credits go to the ending that looked even better than the one they made for XIII. Quality over quantity, XIII-3 is getting away with it. There’s also a short epilogue that I thought was the most realistic thing I have ever witnessed in a video game. Hands down.

There is no ‘I’. Not anymore.
Before the very end I still thought that I preferred that XIII-2 and 3 were never made because of what they had done to the perfect happy ending from XIII that I needed so much at the time. But unlike a certain other game, the final minutes gave the light back. It gave back what I never thought that I was going to see again.

Hope, triumph and friendship. Final Fantasy XIII another amazing trilogy concluded.

Costume Quest is awesome and you should all play it.

Call of Duty: Black Ops on my Macbook Air

Prolly irrelevant, but I've been playing the Jak and Daxter collection.
{Gotta love my mother's generosity sometimes.}

Oh, well I'm playing the original MGS…

PS1 or PC?

I was just playing Jk II and Jak 3. All I have left for Jak II is every gun course, every race, some eco collecting thing, one or two ring challenges, and possibly a few more hidden stuff. For Jak 3 I have literally just got 1 gun course to go… too bad it's impossible.

Its so depressing to think I can spend all week to get a ring challenge or something done, but I will never be able to complete those races or gun courses…