Thread: Hopes for Ratchet and Clank PS4

In the end, it's just a matter of opinion. I can live with the idea of not having any water levels at all it the R&C series (because that's not what makes the games good). It's just a small detail and a tiny spare piece of the whole puzzle.

Anyway, does anybody miss the Visibomb Gun? (for the sake of fooling around and having an aerial view of the map?)

In the end, it's just a matter of opinion. I can live with the idea of not having any water levels at all it the R&C series (because that's not what makes the games good). It's just a small detail and a tiny spare piece of the whole puzzle.

Anyway, does anybody miss the Visibomb Gun? (for the sake of fooling around and having an aerial view of the map?)

Oh, Visibomb gun… It offered many possibilities, an you hardly get a tougher Gold Bolt than the Orxon one again.
Also, people may scream for water level so much they might as well get Water Temple 2.0.
Nice water levels were, however, in Crash Bandicoot 3. The diving ones, offering a new kind of gameplay, and Tomb Wader… perfect.

I used to use it quite a lot, but after getting good at the game I rarely use it now.
I think I'd rather have it be a sort of homing missile launcher kinda like that Warmonger mod in ItN.

people may scream for water level so much they might as well get Water Temple 2.0.
Nice water levels were, however, in Crash Bandicoot 3. The diving ones, offering a new kind of gameplay, and Tomb Wader… perfect.

That is very funny. I have found water levels in games like Ratchet & Clank and Spyro relatively fun… even Rayman at least had really beautiful water levels, even though they weren't that fun.

But Crash 3 had the worst water levels I had ever played. Infact the whole reason I never play Crash 3 anymore is because of the Jet Ski and Diving levels. Both focused on water!

What is wrong with simply platforming though? Spyro and the newer Rayman games are really the only games I have played to properly pull off underwater levels.

I like water levels. Since water simply looks awesome nowadays I don't mind seeing a new one. emoji

people may scream for water level so much they might as well get Water Temple 2.0.

That is very funny. I have found water levels in games like Ratchet & Clank and Spyro relatively fun… even Rayman at least had really beautiful water levels, even though they weren't that fun.

But Crash 3 had the worst water levels I had ever played. Infact the whole reason I never play Crash 3 anymore is because of the Jet Ski and Diving levels. Both focused on water!

What is wrong with simply platforming though? Spyro and the newer Rayman games are really the only games I have played to properly pull off underwater levels.

Okay, I'll admit it - Jet Ski sucked and Diving levels were fun only if you managed to keep that shooting thing as long as possible.

I remember playing the underwater levels in Crash XS, those were freaking hard! Or maybe I was just too young…

I like water levels. Since water simply looks awesome nowadays I don't mind seeing a new one. emoji

Yes as I said, if the gameplay isn't really hurt like n Crash, I like a good underwater level. And they are incredible to look at. Rayman games have always looked stunning underwater, and the fact that the new ones are bearable to play is a real bonus.

If underwater levels controlled like Ratchet & Clank or Spyro and looked like Rayman or Grand Theft Auto V (with a greater draw distance). I'd be sold every time.

That's odd, Insomniac have my favorite, to control, underwater sections. That must be why they turned to space sections instead. Because they wanted to apply their skills of creating fun games to a mechanic that seemed to make more sense.

I think underwater levels are much better in Spyro than in Ratchet, despite being almost the same.
This all goes back to a very simple thing: The core gameplay.

In Spyro the underwater levels are just normal levels where you can willingly get off of the ground.

In R&C the underwater levels are just the Spyro underwater levels but in narrow hallways to make them feel different.

Actually, that's another reason I dislike underwater levels in R&C: you do nothing.
Why do so many people think these sections are fun? The only thing you're doing is holding R1. That's it. You may have to tilt the analog stick a bit when a bomb comes in your way but other than that it's just a lazilly made setpiece put there to give the illusion of variety and uniqueness.

When I think of underwater levels I'm always thinking of Ratchet & Clank 1 and 2. The games after that completely forgot about what made being underwater so great.

In R&C1 and 2 it was turned into a sort of puzzle mechanic that I found fun. It was no where near as fun as blowing stuff up, but I still found it fun and different, so it added variety to my experience. I don't miss it a whole heap, but I still do miss it a little but.

Either way, &C and Spyro both had completely functional underwater sections, which is more than I could say about most games. I am not a big fan of any of Naughty Dogs attempts to send me under the sea. Crash got it wrong, Jak got it wrong, Uncharted is getting it wrong, and I didn't much enjoy The Lsst of Us's swimming either… I guess this is because ND wen't for realism, and swimming underwater without gear in real life isn't really that great in my opinion.

I actually thought that Jak got it very right.

Well I guess that level is technically underwater. But I'm talking about SWIMMING underwater. And Jak didn't really do swimming underwater very well at all.

Well I guess that level is technically underwater. But I'm talking about SWIMMING underwater. And Jak didn't really do swimming underwater very well at all.

Yes but it also never had sections where that was the focus. Only a few optional Precursor Orbs at most.

In Jak 1 they had very few areas where you dived for precursor orbs or dark crystals or whatever.

In Jak II they had nothing - totally awesome!

In Jak 3 they tried to make sections where you were supposed to dive underwater, but the patterns where terrible, so everyone just tries to do it with the jetboard.

You could say the same for Uncharted. These games never really had much swimming, but they did have it, and it was terrible, even though it was almost never used.

In Jak 1 they had very few areas where you dived for precursor orbs or dark crystals or whatever.

In Jak II they had nothing - totally awesome!

In Jak 3 they tried to make sections where you were supposed to dive underwater, but the patterns where terrible, so everyone just tries to do it with the jetboard.

You could say the same for Uncharted. These games never really had much swimming, but they did have it, and it was terrible, even though it was almost never used.

But in Jak II there were precursor orbs underwater, also in Mar's tomb there's the part with electricity where you have to dive to avoid the electricity, i'm sure there are other areas aswell