Thread: Hopes for Ratchet and Clank PS4

I thought ItN was pretty impressive on a visual-level too though; granted, it doesn't quite have the utterly stunning vistas from A4O, but that's mainly because A4O was built to have fixed camera angles; so they could afford to put more effort into what you would see, whereas ItN has many large and more open levels, so the graphics had to compensate. But given the gameplay sacrifice that A4O had to make in order to look as good as it does really isn't worth the trade-off…

Yep, that pretty much sums it all up emoji

I couldn't help but notice that since QFB we haven't seen Ratchet swimming. In the first games, being able to do so meant interesting underwater levels and also freedom. I miss Pokitaru…
Now, when there's not an abyss to fall into, there's some kind of liquid. Hey, I can understand the dangers of muddy swamps, but he doesn't even struggle. In the first games you could jump 2 times and try to get back on shore. But really, sometimes it seems to be just water, so why would the game go like "Well I'm sorry, you're dead!". Did Ratchet forgot how to swim or what? If there is something lethal about the water at least put some effort into showing it. I mean, in the first game, remember Blackwater City? You had a few moments to get out of the water before you were eaten by a giant shark (always reminded me of the Jack&Dexter shark).
I think it would be great if the reboot remembers those features.

The water on Silox was elecrtified, I never understood why didn't Ratchet get shocked.

I actually don't agree.
When Ratchet goes into the water, it almost becomes an entirely different game. That means the swimming sections need as much finetuning and polish as possible so that they're as good as the main game, which would just be a waste of resources. This means swimming sections are usually the least polished and least fun parts of a game.
They could put a 5 minute swimming section in the game, but when you think about it a 5 minute shooting or platforming section would be much more fun and interesting.

I actually don't agree.
When Ratchet goes into the water, it almost becomes an entirely different game. That means the swimming sections need as much finetuning and polish as possible so that they're as good as the main game, which would just be a waste of resources. This means swimming sections are usually the least polished and least fun parts of a game.
They could put a 5 minute swimming section in the game, but when you think about it a 5 minute shooting or platforming section would be much more fun and interesting.

I would be fine with no swimming sections, if Insomniac gave a reason Ratchet would die when he goes into seemingly clear water, the game just lacks a certain amount of depth if he just dies for no reason if you'd pardon the pun.

I need a water-themed Ratchet and Clank game, like the rejected one in GC. Ratchet must be able to swim! Also, bring Pokitaru back!

Water themed R&C game? Like "Admiral Ratchet & Clank: Darkwater's Revenge"? Sorry, but I disagree with your idea

Water themed R&C game? Like "Admiral Ratchet & Clank: Darkwater's Revenge"? Sorry, but I disagree with your idea

Maybe QFB was the water themed game.

Maybe QFB was the water themed game.

Or to be more precise, pirate themed

Jack&Dexter? Rock Lombax, you've made yourself a tough enemy.

Anyway, I remember there was something regarding the inability to swim in the ACiT's museum.

So, Filip, you hate typos so much, don't you?

Anyway, I remember there was something regarding the inability to swim in the ACiT's museum.

They spent so much time working on making the surface look good, they couldn't get an equally as good looking swimming environment/mechanic.

I also agree about Jak and Daxter being spelled Jack and Dexter. The game is constantly reminding you how to say Daxter and spell Jak, so it isn't that hard to learn… this is a message to all of those who honestly believe they are spelled that way (Dexter!!?? Really!!??). However I know that in some cases it can be an auto-correction at work, trying to screw you over. Because of this I usually try to avoid pointing the finger at people and saying hurtful things.

BTW: I don't believe what you said was hateful, I was just referencing my own extremely violent nature.

I actually don't agree.

I'm sure they can improve the water levels a lot. I'm not talking only about those puzzle sections (like in GC, …who doesn't like to freeze sharks?), imagine a whole underwater map for example. It would still be the same game but with an O2 mask and a Clank Hydro-Pack. It would be fun to shoot underwater enemies while under the influence of water physics (but not using a flame-thrower, that would be awkward). I'm just saying it would add a bit more diversity to the game.

They spent so much time working on making the surface look good, they couldn't get an equally as good looking swimming environment/mechanic.

I also agree about Jak and Daxter being spelled Jack and Dexter. The game is constantly reminding you how to say Daxter and spell Jak, so it isn't that hard to learn… this is a message to all of those who honestly believe they are spelled that way (Dexter!!?? Really!!??). However I know that in some cases it can be an auto-correction at work, trying to screw you over. Because of this I usually try to avoid pointing the finger at people and saying hurtful things.

BTW: I don't believe what you said was hateful, I was just referencing my own extremely violent nature.

Yup, that was my bad…
It's JAK & DAXTER everybody, no need to panic.

I actually don't agree.

I'm sure they can improve the water levels a lot. I'm not talking only about those puzzle sections (like in GC, …who doesn't like to freeze sharks?), imagine a whole underwater map for example. It would still be the same game but with an O2 mask and a Clank Hydro-Pack. It would be fun to shoot underwater enemies while under the influence of water physics (but not using a flame-thrower, that would be awkward). I'm just saying it would add a bit more diversity to the game.

The thing is, if they were to do that, there would be no point in making it an underwater level.
It's much easier to make a good looking anti-gravity space section for example, than a good looking underwater section.
I mean, I love the R&C games but the underwater sections always look pretty bad.
And it is possible to make underwater environments look good, but it's also very hard and not worth it for what is only going to be a small part of the game.
It's either don't have an underwater section or have a mediocre one and I think I'd rather have the former.