Thread: ACiT Plot Hole Thread

How did that one Fongoid survive the flood?

He made a raft. Which magically broke up into those wooden pieces that you use as platforms.

I love imagination.

That was really selfish of him to not invite his friends.

Time cannot be changed… Unless our main protagonist is dead, or you're using a time portal
Even though it's not a plot hole… what? Through the whole game they repeat us that "time cannot be changed", "past stays where it is", blah, blah, blah… But when Ratchet dies it turns out you CAN use the clock, as long as you don't "risk any more than six minutes". No. Just no. One of the game's messages (about dealing with the past) is suddenly screwed up. If you cannot change time, THEN YOU FREAKIN' CAN'T! No matter if you travel ten years, six minutes or one second back. And the time portals, that apparently can take you even 10 years back and somehow that doesn't rip the space time continuum. Why didn't they open a time portal too Fastoon? Oh, that would cause more paradoxes… That's just cheap.
Why does the Clock have a room specifically designated for time travel?

It's all about exercising people's willpower. Giving them the opportunity to choose between right and wrong.
As for six minutes, the distant future hadn't been written yet. (Plus, I heard it was a reference to something.)
The Clock was made to keep time, not to alter it. So maybe they were allowed to use those time portals and the lever because they needed them to ensure the safety of the Clock.

Cautious Orvus
Did Orvus predict that he'll be gone before Clank finds himself in the Clock? I mean… he recorded so many messages for Clank, yet there was no real danger of his passing. On a second note, he agreed to talk about the Clock with an outsider… So, he's cautious enough to make all these holo-recordings, but decides to trust someone calling himself Nefarious… Ingenious I guess.

Orvus didn't necessarily say it was about the Clock. And Nefarious was probably in disguise.
As for those messages, Orvus could have recorded those any time after Clank was born with the intention to leave the Clock to him, regardless of whether he knew or believed he was going to die. As I said before, opportunities, right and wrong.

Anyway, how exactly did Nefarious travel to another galaxy in 3 years when it took him pretty much a year to travel between sectors? Did Lawrence row a lot faster after Deadlocked?

The galaxies are awkwardly positioned?

Either he escaped by himself and later came back, or he evacuated with the other children and the rest of them died afterwards.

It's all about exercising people's willpower. Giving them the opportunity to choose between right and wrong.

And that's what annoys me! Clank's choice wasn't so hard because the Plumber told him he can use the Clock for a short time travel - he knew he wasn't really risking that much.

As for six minutes, the distant future hadn't been written yet. (Plus, I heard it was a reference to something.)

But it caused a paradox anyway - Clank traveled back in time and saved Ratchet. But after saving him, he didn't have to travel back in time. And so, the moment he traveled back never happened, yet he traveled back in time. Isn't that enough to rip the space time continuum?

The Clock was made to keep time, not to alter it. So maybe they were allowed to use those time portals and the lever because they needed them to ensure the safety of the Clock.

What the heck? If you cannot use the Clock as a time machine because it could destroy the universe, then what is a point of giving Clock the ability to do so? It's a self-destruction switch, how can it keep the Clock safe?

And Nefarious was probably in disguise.

He kept the Clock in secret for milleniums! And then, suddenly he agrees to talk about it with some scientist he don't even know. What did Nefarious do to win his trust?

He kept the Clock in secret for milleniums! And then, suddenly he agrees to talk about it with some scientist he don't even know. What did Nefarious do to win his trust?

Gain the trust of the people who destroyed the universe through time travel. Obviously that's reason enough to tell him about the Clock.

But to be fair, I'm pretty sure Orvus had no intentions of talking about the Clock with Nefarious.

And that's what annoys me! Clank's choice wasn't so hard because the Plumber told him he can use the Clock for a short time travel - he knew he wasn't really risking that much.

He took a few seconds to figure that out though.

But it caused a paradox anyway - Clank traveled back in time and saved Ratchet. But after saving him, he didn't have to travel back in time. And so, the moment he traveled back never happened, yet he traveled back in time. Isn't that enough to rip the space time continuum?

Six minutes. I think I'll leave it at that.

What the heck? If you cannot use the Clock as a time machine because it could destroy the universe, then what is a point of giving Clock the ability to do so? It's a self-destruction switch, how can it keep the Clock safe?

It fell apart when Azimuth tried to use it to save the Lombaxes from an event that happened long ago (far longer than six minutes). Even if the Clock didn't start falling apart, he wasn't using it for the benefit of the Clock.

In the cutscene "Sigmund's Secret", it is revealed that someone requested an audience with Orvus. The someone was obviously Nefarious (possibly in disguise), but the pretextual conference could have been about anything else.

He took a few seconds to figure that out though.

It took Ratchet a few seconds to decide weather to side with Azimuth or Clank. What's your point?

Six minutes. I think I'll leave it at that.

Ah, plot convenience. Too bad it's invalid since they travelled 10 years back in time earlier.

It fell apart when Azimuth tried to use it to save the Lombaxes from an event that happened long ago (far longer than six minutes). Even if the Clock didn't start falling apart, he wasn't using it for the benefit of the Clock.

Clank wouldn't have needed it if that switch didn't exist in the first place. It's unnecessary and it only exists so they could keep Ratchet's death scene.

It took Ratchet a few seconds to decide weather to side with Azimuth or Clank. What's your point?

My point is that Clank would always do the right thing, e.g. not pulling levers that could cause the entire universe to collapse. It took him a few seconds to realise the "six minutes" loophole. And so, he risked everything and went for it.

Ah, plot convenience. Too bad it's invalid since they travelled 10 years back in time earlier.

They were using time portals there. And they were using them to get closer to the Clock.
Time travel facilities should only be used in dire emergencies.

My point is that Clank would always do the right thing, e.g. not pulling levers that could cause the entire universe to collapse. It took him a few seconds to realise the "six minutes" loophole. And so, he risked everything and went for it.

Ratchet wasn't allowed to use the Dimensionator for this exact reason…

They were using time portals there. And they were using them to get closer to the Clock.
Time travel facilities should only be used in dire emergencies.

Bringing back an endangered species is not an emergency? Okay then.
Also, they never established this rule.

Ratchet wasn't allowed to use the Dimensionator for this exact reason…

I'll give you that, since I actually haven't played Tools of Destruction so I don't quite know what the situation was in full. But whatever Tachyon could have done would have been less, for lack of a better word, instant than the universe collapsing on itself.

Bringing back an endangered species is not an emergency? Okay then.
Also, they never established this rule.

They're not endangered. They've just moved on.
Orvus himself said that the Clock isn't meant to alter time, only keep it. I suppose altering it for the purposes of protecting it counts as "keeping" it.

Time-travel responsibly.

Orvus himself said that the Clock isn't meant to alter time, only keep it. I suppose altering it for the purposes of protecting it counts as "keeping" it.

Time-travel responsibly.

Traveling in time to protect the Clock is no different than traveling in time to bring back your species or conquer the world - it is still time travel that can rip the space time continuum. Besides, I think changing TEN YEARS OF HISTORY OF A WHOLE PLANET is a "little" bit too much.

So, what is a logical explanation to this nonsense? I think it's because TJ had a different vision than the game designers - he came up with the "time cannot be changed" story arc, while they were already designing levels with time travel.

The time travel concept is really something they wanted to go with (and it came out great too!). So if that ment sacrifising a little overlookable logic, so be it.

The time travel concept is really something they wanted to go with (and it came out great too!). So if that ment sacrifising a little overlookable logic, so be it.

They could always not include Ratchet's death…

Oh, but the drama! Besides, I really liked the 6 minutes concept, showed that there was some logic behind The Plumbers words. I think it would be a shame if it weren't there.