Thread: What's up with Ratchet?

Ok, so everyone knows that Ratchet is amazing and does amazing stuff, right? Well, what the heck makes him so special? He was able to defeat Tachyon when no other lombax could, he does amazing stuff all the time, and he beat Alister, probably one of the best lombax warriors! I can't think of any explanation for how he is just so darn awesome! Does anyone else have an idea?

Do you want to know…

The real reason why he's special:

Because he is a playable character. Playable characters are always special, with very few exceptions. Playing as an inferior character that looses fights all the time because it is logical would be no fun. (of course they can't loose fights all the time, because then the game wouldn't last long)

What you are supposed to believe makes him special:

The Lombaxes are great at inventing things and fighting, sure. But as ACiT helps us understand, Ratchet is a lot less without Clank. Clank helps Ratchet make the right decisions, which ultimately led to the their first victory against Drek and the many that followed. ACiT highlights this by having Ratchet team up with another Lomabx to find Clank. When they found Clank, Azimuth's brute force attack strategies started to sound like bad ideas, as Clank reminded Ratchet of the reality of the situation.

As for the actual battle against Azimuth, well I guess you could argue that Ratchet has had a heck of a lot more experience saving the universe than Azimuth ever could have… which is why I really don't like Azimuth's personality. He always acts superior, like Ratchet should follow him, and be impressed by his skills. Well I saw right through it, and knew he really wasn't that great in the face of a hero like Ratchet.

I don't see anything.

Click on the dark boxes under the words "Spoiler"… they really should make that text in the brackets explain this better for this side of the community.

Some things that I think make Ratchet special:
-He defeated Tachyon for the sake of his friends and the Lombaxes, not for avenging his parents' death
-He never betray his friends
-He never complains for having a backpack-sized robot as his best pal
-He doesn't live for fame

-He defeated Tachyon for the sake of his friends and the Lombaxes, not for avenging his parent's death

What we were wondering is: How could he do this, when no other Lombax could?

-He never complains for having a backpack-sized robot as his best pal

Actually, you wouldn't expect anyone to complain about this sort of thing… if anything, he's actually less of a hero because he does treat Clank pretty poorly in R&C1 and Tools of Destruction.

-He doesn't live for fame

"I mean these guys have the fame, the money, the babes!". I get the feeling at times, that Ratcht is (or was anyway) motivated by fame a little bit. But it was usually overshadowed by his senseless thirst for adventure… which is something I liked about Ratchet in the earlier games.

In my opinion, the reason why Ratchet could defeat Tachyon was because he was fully prepared with fighting skills and an arsenal of weapons. The Lombaxes weren't able to defeat Tachyon and his army because they were caught off-guard during the invasion of Fastoon. If they chose to fight, then it would be only a matter of time until they got exterminated. That's why they chose to escape using the Dimensionator. And for Kaden, he didn't have any suitable weapons to fight Tachyon

I like to think Ratchet has a far better sense of direction than most Lombaxes due to the help of Clank.

As I stated in my first post, I like to think, it's Ratchet's experience as a professional crime fighter on such a large scale that gives him the edge over the average Lombax.

Lesson learnt from the fall of the Lombaxes: NEVER tell your biggest secret to someone that cannot be trusted

Tachyon could be trusted… by Azimuth. And we all know that Azimuth is not the sharpest knife in the draw. He's kind of like a spoon, really.

Yea, Azimuth could trust Tachyon and give him some of the blueprints of their technology, but, REVEALING ALL OF THE LOMBAXES' GREATEST TECHNOLOGICAL SECRETS TO TACHYON?! That was just, unbelieveable, considering he is a Cragmite and sought revenge to the Lombaxes for what they did to his race during the Great War.

Anyway, it's the Cragmites' fault. The Lombaxes were just trying to defend Polaris from total Cragmite domination

None of the Loambaxes had any idea of Tachyon's true intentions, as far as they knew, he was a really good inventor, that could help the Lombaxes speed up development of their technology. And Azimuth happened to have a hunch… that was wrong.

But Kaden already got a bad feeling about Tachyon's intention

I was told by your father not to trust that inventor…

Wow, these are some really good points. Thanks guys for pitching in. If you want to talk about it more, feel free, because we could come up with more ideas.

He's Superman.