Thread: Naughty Dog vs. Insomniac Games

A change in tone is always nice. The main characters of these games can't possibly be expected to keep their sanity living in these conditions throughout their entire existence, which means we are fed the "interesting" parts of their lives which seem to keep with the theme of grey and gloomy battles.

What's Nathan Hale like anyway. I know bits and pieces, but perhaps you're able to confince me to pick the trilogy up again.

Nathan Hale is not the star of the show. Resistance has always had really crummy characters.

In the first game Hale is a mute, and a narrator named Rachel Parker is telling us the story of his involvement in the war against the Chimera in Britten. The real story is not about Hale, but about the mysteries of the Chimera… so not very character driven, this one.

In the second game Hale learns to speak up as the narrator is ditched and we enter some more colourful worlds, with more interesting side characters. Hale strikes me as that sort of serious Leautenant you'd expect in a war story as grim as this one. I found his character rather dull and serious, but side characters like Capelli and Malikov help to make the game more interesting.

Resistance 3 has a new main character who was in Resistance 2, and was known for being very aggressive and thick-headed. He was a very peculiar character who went through some good development in Resistance 2. It's a shame they threw his voice actor, design, and personality out the window in favor of a sort of "heroic dad trying to make a world for his son"… seeing this character change so much (for the bad) from Resistance 2 really peeved me off! But I'm sure you will love his newer character though. But make no mistake, Resistance 3 does have a fully character-driven story with some awesome good guys and some really really evil bad guys. R3 features one of my most mated villains in gaming.

In short:

1. R:FoM sets up a creepy atmosphere through telling the story of a silent protagonist.
2. R2 features interesting side characters and is a colourful game…not without some creepy moments.
3. R3 features a character driven story full of emotional parts here and there. Definitely the highlight of the series.

I recommend you push through R:FoM as far as you can. I really liked the theme of this game. But if you really can't stomach it, skip it. You are not missing too much that won't be summed up at the start of R2. But whatever you do, do NOT skip Resistance 2! This is a trilogy, and although the first game can be skipped, the second absolutely must be played before moving on the the (very) grand finale that is Resistance 3.

Thanks man! You have me confinced as I hoped you would. I checked, I played R1 back in 2012. Since I'm over my motion sickness (camera sensitivity at the lowest) and now that I can at least appreciate the FPS genre, I'll put it in my next backlog, planned for 2016. When I finish my current backlog, I'd like some freedom for replaying some games and upcoming next gen. emoji

I hope you really enjoy your Resistance experience next year. I think I might replay these games next year as well. It's been a long time.

I used to replay games all the time. But since Dragon Age: Inquisition my backlog grew and grew. emoji

oh insomniac so restenstance

Wait, no. It's supposed to be "Resistance, so Insomniac". We're choosing our favorite games after all :oui:

I vote for Resistance: Fall of Man in the main round, and R&C Size Matters in the bonus round.

Also, it appears to be time for the next round. (Oh, how time flies)

Personally, I vote for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in the main round, and R&C Size Matters in the bonus round.

Uncharted: Drake's Deception - 2
Resistance: Fall of Man - 4

So the winner of this round is:

Insomniac Games!

For the Bonus Round…

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier - 1
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters - 7

So the winner of the Bonus Round is:

High Impact Games! (or more specifically, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters)

Now, onto this week's round.

Week 9: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. Resistance 2

User image
User image

Bonus Round 2: Daxter vs. Secret Agent Clank

User image
User image

Another round that I have to pass. I didn't play any of the Resistance games, same goes to Daxter.

clank and restance

clank and restance

Did you play all of these games, or did you just vote for these because one is IG and the other one is R&C?

clank and restance

Did you play all of these games, or did you just vote for these because one is IG and the other one is R&C?

i voted for insomniac 1 time and ressentince is purely better