Thread: 2013 for Ratchet & Clank. Good or bad?

Sometimes it's good for a series to have a decent 'break' for development and ideas. Occasionally you need to step back, look and admit that something went either right or wrong. You can't do that if you're constantly in production.

I'm happy to wait if they are going into development for the rumoured PS4 emoji

I would just love it if the PS4 waited a little longer. The PS3 lives, nobody is sick or tired of it yet and I'm not really waiting for a console wars between PS4 and WiiU for me. Which one to buy?!

I am not really wanting a PS4 at all.

Consoles are so expensive here, I was lucky to get a Vita, and now that I have a good Vita and PS3 (well I don't actually have a working PS3, but hopefully it'll get fixed one day) I will not be buying a new console for a while.

So if they release a Ratchet & Clank game on PS4 that's gonna suck because I'll have to wait for the PS4 to drop it's price.

@Maximilian. Yea FFA's tower defense twist didn't really work that well (according to reviewers) but it was the game before Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault that sort of hurt the series. It was All 4 One. I loved that game, but most others didn't like the major changes to gameplay, camera and character designs.

On the PS2 Ratchet & Clank games were coming out every year, the game you played, Up Your Arsenal, was released just one year after the second. Ratchet & Clank were able to pull off the yearly game. Of course for the three major PS3 titles they needed about two years for each one (though Quest for Booty came out between Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time) Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (the new one) was able to release just a year after All 4 One (the last major title) because it was created with the intention that it be a minigame.

I don't think I have ever played a Ratchet & Clank game and thought to myself it felt rushed. Insomniac are very good at that.

I am not really wanting a PS4 at all.
So if they release a Ratchet & Clank game on PS4 that's gonna suck because I'll have to wait for the PS4 to drop it's price.

Thats my exact problem as well. This is the first time I have this problem. Since I've been intro R&C only 3 years. The PS2 was already like €20, by the time I finished those the PS3 dropped to €275 + All4One on its release. But now I'm gonna be a fangirl that wants each game on release. emoji

Ha, yea. Here it was a similar story. I got rather fond of the series when PS3s were just around the corner (though I didn't know this, because I was just getting into games)

When I found out about the PS3 and the Ratchet game on that I told myself I'd never get it and to let go. We got a PS3 out of sheer luck, I think we like won it or something, I don't know. But since I was on it 24/7 (Tools of Destruction) it kind of became my PS3. And here I am today. If PS4 comes out in like 2 or 3 years it will be all good though, because we'll probably have money then.

But it has to come out at some point, and with the WiiU out there I guess Sony and Microsoft are really moving to get another console out there.

We all know that when the PS4 comes out we can expect all the best companies to move onto it as soon as possible.

Yeah.. maybe some movie licence games like with the PS2. And then the PS3 might be old news.
Though i can't amagine a console that makes games look even better than the PS3 does. Cause the PS3 already were SF for me a couple years ago.

You know I said just that about the PS2.

Games can get more realistic, at first the P33 was totally OTT, but as developers began to master it, they started pushing it to it's limits. So if the PS4 had heaps more power than the PS3, then there could potentially be some crazy awesome super games! (not like there isn't already)

But then there is more to it than that. When Sony do release the PS4, I'll bet that they will have something special to show off. Like the PS3's motion sensors and music and videos and all that extra stuff.

And don't forget that there are gaming PCs out there with many times more power than a PS3, it's not necessarily that they'll improve the graphics, but they'll probably up the processing power and memory so the PS4 could handle more. Less loading times, further graphics draw distance, more complex character animations and interactions, that style of thing.

Yea. But those powerful gaming PCs are much more rare than people with PS3s or Xboxes, mostly because it costs heaps to get/make a powerful gaming PC. That is the main reason why I prefer consoles, the other reason is that I like the Dualshock design much better than the old mouse and keyboard, and PS3s are easier and simpler to use.

But aren't most PC games on a console anyway, so the developers are still limited by the consoles specs (which are still pretty good)

Yea. But those powerful gaming PCs are much more rare than people with PS3s or Xboxes, mostly because it costs heaps to get/make a powerful gaming PC. That is the main reason why I prefer consoles, the other reason is that I like the Dualshock design much better than the old mouse and keyboard, and PS3s are easier and simpler to use.

But aren't most PC games on a console anyway, so the developers are still limited by the consoles specs (which are still pretty good)

Good point, they do cost £1,000's for a really good one, but if there is mainstream interest in the components then the price comes down.
Although some not most, depends on the developers and the game type, PC games are available on consoles they aren't limited by console specs. All the developers do is make sure they provide a variety of setup options for the PC version. So a PC game can look better than, but run as well as, the console version.
Or worse if you've got a naff system emoji

Yea, PC games can be pretty good quality. But I have never had a PC that could beat my PS3.

My PC was brought and done up to play games the best it could back in about 2009 or 2010, and it was nothing compared to my PS3. But I hardly use my PC for games anyway, I just love playing those good old PlayStation exclusive on the Dualshock.

I really hope Sony doesn't do something stupid with the next gen consoles controller.

I really hope Sony doesn't do something stupid with the next gen consoles controller.

Since a lot of people are criticizing Dualshock cause "it suck compared to Xbox pad", it is possible SONY will make some stupid move with it. But they could listen to people who like Dualshocks as well.

Well I don't like the Xbox controller at all. The sticks are annoying the D-pad is rubbish, and the wireless controllers have this giant pack on the back which looks totally out of place.

The PS3 controllers look nicer (to me) I like the sticks way more (the positioning and how they feel) and so on…

I really hope they don't ruin it. But this is Sony we're talking about… I'm doomed.

Deleted user
Well I don't like the Xbox controller at all. The sticks are annoying the D-pad is rubbish, and the wireless controllers have this giant pack on the back which looks totally out of place.

The PS3 controllers look nicer (to me) I like the sticks way more (the positioning and how they feel) and so on…

I really hope they don't ruin it. But this is Sony we're talking about… I'm doomed.

It depends on the game really, some games like Ratchet and Clank feel better with a PS3 controller because it was made with the PS3 controller in mind, while other games like HALO are better with the Xbox controller cause it was designed with the Xbox controller in mind

It depends on the game really, some games like Ratchet and Clank feel better with a PS3 controller because it was made with the PS3 controller in mind, while other games like HALO are better with the Xbox controller cause it was designed with the Xbox controller in mind

Well I have never actually played an Xbox exclusive game before. Just CoD: BO and GTA IV, and they didn't feel quite as good as the PS3 versions to me. But I guess it just depends on what you're use to, I grew up with PS2 and PS3, so it's natural that I would get use to the good old fashioned DualShock design.

EDIT: Yay, 1,000th post!