Thread: The Food Thread

I'll send you a private message emoji

Food and culture are a very interesting thing. Every country have their strange little quirks when it comes to this regard. Down here the only think I am aware of that we eat differently to everyone else would be the fact that our native people have a very different idea of how to do a roast. They bury the food underground and cook it down there. It makes the food take pretty strange, and I haven't eaten it in a long time. Although even to this day I still remember the taste, and that has got to account for something.

NZ Europeans on the other hand are only really known for our obsessions over Mince Pies. I prefer Butter Chicken, myself though.

Oh, if you go to Indonesia, DO NOT eat with your left hand. It's considered impolite, like in other Islam-majority countries, since the left hand is preserved for "toilet business". And don't be surprised if you see people eating with bare hands while sitting on the floor. That's just how we traditionally eat, and it's very common!

That is very interesting. It must be hard for tourists to get used to there being any sort of way of gaining negative attention while eating. I have found that islanders tend to have the opposite effect on me, as it is very difficult to say no to food. They push it on you as much as possible, and don't like it much when you refuse. However it is in my nature, personally, to reject food when it is offered. I am not much of a big eater, and so that can get on some people's nerves sometimes.

Eating with your left hand is impolite? Curious. In The Netherlands you get a slap on the wrist if you don't eat with both hands. Cool how countries have so many ways of eating food.

NL doesn't really have any food-rules. During a classy dinner, usually held by people that can afford this, you musn't say ''bon a petit''. It's offensive to the cook. Because, obviously, you will enjoy the meal you were served.

Eating with your both hands is still acceptable, but eating with your left hand only is impolite.

I know some things about Dutch table manners. Knife on the right hand, and fork on the left hand. But, as I said, we Muslims aren't allowed to eat with the left hand. So, I usually do the "proper" prosedure to slice the meat, then hold the fork using my right hand and proceed to eat. It's really interesting to learn about cultures. And honestly, I don't think people gaze at us in anger when we eat not according to the table manner back then during our trip to the Netherlands. Maybe the people just didn't notice, or already understood that we were just tourists and eat with the different way.

By the way, I think Germans eat a lot (I mean A LOT) of meat. Because, while at Lake Titisee, we were served long sausages with rice, French Fries, and vegetables

Ah, understood. emoji

Well, it's only a formal rule at dentist-family dinner parties. In the NL you and I know… People couldn't care less.

True! I've been to Germany a lot (practicly right next door). Half of the schnitzel you get there, is a whole in NLemoji

Germany is next door, hmm… I'll assume you live near the borders emoji.

What are your favourite vegetables? I generally like leafy greens.

Vegetables? Er… is cauliflower a vegetable? I'm not much of a vegetable fan. Spinach, endive and broccoli are on the list I like though.

I'm more of a meat and pasta person. emoji

User image

What's your favourite pasta?

Fussili with tuna.

Sounds good. And your favourite sauce? Carbonara for me.

I need meat in my food. Preferably Chicken or Minced Beef. The only other vegetables should be potato.

The best meals for dinner:

1. Butter Chicken - UK
2. Lasagna - Italian
3. Shepard's/Cottage Pie - UK
4. Fish Pie - UK
5. Nachos - Mexican

That is really the only category of food I can rank on a list. And when I leave home, they are the only meals I want to know how to make… sadly the first two are not very easy to throw together on my own. Oh well, at least Butter Chicken is always good at restaurants.

EDIT: This also answers the question as to my favorite pasta. Spaghetti Bolognese is too plain, and Macaroni and Cheese has too much cheese and not enough of anything else… and they are the only other pasta foods I have really had.

EDIT2: Also, Filip, your avatars are getting creepier with each change!
You do realise you will never trump mine. Mine is a whole other level of creepy.

I don't always expect delicous European foods for dinner. But I really like Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) and Sate (Satay) for dinner. For the fried rice, it must at least contain egg. And for satays, I prefer lamb and chicken.

Lamb. I must say, that is the one meat I eat the least out of the 4 main ones. Funnily enough, it is supposed to be the one we are known for the most. Obviously no one told me that emoji

Recently I have been getting addicted to Subway. This is a dangerously expensive addiction I have taken on emoji