Thread: What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Put Red Faction: Guerilla in my PS3. Bought it for €3 in a gameshop in France. Didn't mean it was bad game since I also got Killzone 2 there for €2.

I was kinda hoping that Sam (the girl) would be playable, but she doesn't seem to. Minus one, but I'll see if I like it. I kinda liked the game to movie, Red Faction: Origins.

Put Red Faction: Guerilla in my PS3. Bought it for €3 in a gameshop in France. Didn't mean it was bad game since I also got Killzone 2 there for €2.

I was kinda hoping that Sam (the girl) would be playable, but she doesn't seem to. Minus one, but I'll see if I like it. I kinda liked the game to movie, Red Faction: Origins.

You always got things so cheap :$!

There's a store in France called 'Game Cash'. They sell used games only, perfect for this economy. Holland needs one as well!

There's a store in France called 'Game Cash'. They sell used games only, perfect for this economy. Holland needs one as well!

One word: A W E S O M E

So I just played a Red Faction a little, but its not for me.

2013 is the year of trying for me. I've tried a load of new games. Some of 'em were great and others failed experiments. A few that couldn't quite make it are Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Jak & Daxter, Parappa and etc. The ones that certainly earned their spot are Mass Effect, Uncharted and Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider.

Red Faction just doesn't cut it. When I play a game with human characters, I much prefer to play as a female because those characters are always more intersting to me. Haven't found any exceptions. Nathan Drake is great, but I find myself wanting to play as Elena Fisher anyways. In Red Faction you play as some guy I have a interrest in of 0%. A bald guy with a hammer and a borig looking jacked. Further I don't like the colors in this game. Blue and white are my sci-fi colors, not red and orange. The missions work like JakII, which I already didn't like there. And the 3rd person shooting doesn't feature a small zoom-in or a hiding option. Those are 2 thing that are like a must in a 3rd person shooter.

I'm putting the game back. Next up is Prince of Persia. emoji

The Sackbot logic is absolutely awesome! emoji

WHY oh why did you have to abandon it. If there's something i hate it is when people do everything they need to make something awesome, and then just don't do it.. emoji

The only thing that could be "pretty bad" as you said, would be the not-so-uber-wonderful visuals, but you could have asked me to help you out with that! emoji

I abandoned it because I didn't have the time, what with the production of my Android game starting up.

Deleted user

2013 is the year of trying for me. I've tried a load of new games. Some of 'em were great and others failed experiments. A few that couldn't quite make it are Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Jak & Daxter, Parappa and etc. The ones that certainly earned their spot are Mass Effect, Uncharted and Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider.

Red Faction just doesn't cut it. When I play a game with human characters, I much prefer to play as a female because those characters are always more intersting to me. Haven't found any exceptions. Nathan Drake is great, but I find myself wanting to play as Elena Fisher anyways. In Red Faction you play as some guy I have a interrest in of 0%. A bald guy with a hammer and a borig looking jacked. Further I don't like the colors in this game. Blue and white are my sci-fi colors, not red and orange. The missions work like JakII, which I already didn't like there. And the 3rd person shooting doesn't feature a small zoom-in or a hiding option. Those are 2 thing that are like a must in a 3rd person shooter.

I'm putting the game back. Next up is Prince of Persia. emoji

I hear ya on Jak II; I'm having issues getting back into it myself. Hopefully your next game will be a more enjoyable experience!

I ordered a game, but I have nothing to play in the in between. I'm left with the fleamarket scraps for now. I really want Fuse, Vanquish or Wet to play. But I'm not anywhere near a gamestore until after this weekendemoji

Red Faction just doesn't cut it. When I play a game with human characters, I much prefer to play as a female because those characters are always more intersting to me. Haven't found any exceptions. Nathan Drake is great, but I find myself wanting to play as Elena Fisher anyways. In Red Faction you play as some guy I have a interrest in of 0%.

I'm not an expert on Red Faction Guerilla, but from what I do know, it's not really looking to be a character-based epic like most other games, it's just looking to show off a detailed physics engine - hence why the majority of the gameplay involves knocking down buildings. I understand if it's not for you; personally, I'm not particularly keen on any game that doesn't have an engrossing story, but it's worth keeping in mind what the developers are actually trying to achieve with their audiences too…

I also agree with your statement on female characters to some extent; though they are usually more interesting *because* we don't get to play them, for some reason, the people who write the story lines for games tend to put more character development into the characters that you don't play, since the majority of game main characters are male, it's usually the female ones that become more interesing - of course, this isn't always the case, for example, Insomniac Games obviously put a lot of development into Ratchet, and the character I found most interesting in "The Last of Us" was

The main character's daughter, whom you do play as in the first few minutes of the game, but is killed off fairly quickly; in those few minutes, I felt a stronger connection with that daughter character (I'm not sure if they even gave her a name..?) that I did playing as Joel throughout the entire rest of the game

I like it when developers take a really different approach with characters and story.

Here are some examples I made as I now have a little more time on my hands:

inFamous
With the story following an average not-all-that-special character Cole who get's superpowers gameplay is surely going to be the only focus right? Well to my surprise when I fist played I could totally see a whole different approach to this game. Just because Cole is not at all special in any way, bald and a guy doesn't mean he can't go through a little learning experience? At the start he gets all these wicked superpowers and just like in the comic books baddies start showing up at about the same time (although inFamous actually does a really good job at justifying this). Cole goes through so much of a hard time and has to make decisions that would make an ordinary person crumble, but what is so interesting about Cole is that through all of the good and all the bad he does make mistakes and learns from them too, and by the end we see a completely different character ready to help those in need or destroy everyone's lives!

Metal Gear Solid
It takes (at least) 4 games and some serious concentration and patience to get into the games, but now I don't know how I ever lived before MGS. Characters like Solid Snake, Hal 'Otacon' Emmerich and Big Boss (Naked Snake) go through some really rough times that in my personal opinion can not be beaten by any other game. Here is your proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IimjoFyUktY
In that video Solid Snake is losing in a fight against a nuclear-equipped walking death-mobile when his old friend Gray Fox saves his life. I don't think I can go into the specifics without confusing the hell out of all of you, so here is another more obviously sadder scene: (HUGE MGS4 SPOILERS) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA1ELctlon8

If you got through both of those videos you can probably tell that this is a game in which no character is truly safe from death. Sadly I can't show any videos that give anyone a brief gist of how the stories go… but i'm sure you can all trust me on that one.

EDIT: Never mind, this one does a pretty good job at showing who Solid Snake was without any spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7X7ubKiHw I recommend this over the other two I poster above.

(..)

Dang it, I opened the spoiler without thinking. Now I found out 2 things by accidentemoji

I only like the females better in human-based games. Such as Mass Effect, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy XIII. You nearly always play as the guys, but it gets very boring. I know only a few cool male mains like Nathan Drake and (I'm actually scanning through my games now cause I can't think of anyone). Okay no, thats where it stops for me. When it comes to cool male playable main characters that are human, its just Nate. I know why too. Naughty Dog made him an everyman, but I always thought he was unlike. He isn't the brawn guy that can do anything. He's like Joker from Mass Effect, they have the same reasons I like them I guess. Their personality isn't the annoying standard male one.

But isn't that what Lara Croft is like? Yes, in a way. But if Lara was a Laurens I wouldn't have like the game at all. What makes Lara cool as a character is her capability and mind. Her knowledge about history is endless. I think that in a Trivia battle, Lara would beat Nate in the lightning round! I still want that cross-over, even more than just Uncharted 4!

But then aren't male Shepard and FemShep the same character? Yes, yes they are. Only when a guy says 'Hope you can fly' and pushes someone through a window its boring and usual. When a woman does it, its very unexpected and awesome.

…………………………………………………

Yeah, the blowing-up building thing already didn't get my attention. It wasn't even that accurate. I'm a game designer and it didn't even really stand out. I've seen better explotions and crumbling buildings.emoji

Yeah, the blowing-up building thing already didn't get my attention. It wasn't even that accurate. I'm a game designer and it didn't even really stand out. I've seen better explotions and crumbling buildings.emoji

You'rs a game designer? Thats so cool! Usually the desrroy everything approach drags most peope well into games.

I often prefer deeper characters in games. I don't care weather its a female or male, as long as the game gets me to care about them i'm all in it. I mean take Azimuth for example, the guys a complete jerk, but we really care about him hecause he's so deeply scared… although many just like his moves.

Metal Gears' Naomi Hunter too is a really smart nanomachine engineer/scientost who is often percieved as a cold and evil person with good intention but no heart. But she goes through so much character development, it's really hard not to care about her.

Yes, but not really yet. Say student game artist. Though next week I'm gonna work on a real thing. Create a game for Serious Request. In short thats a radio-team that won't eat for a week and go sit in a glass house and broadcast from there. There's also a big outdoor party around thw whole thing and GameShip (where I study) has been asked to great a small game for people to play on a big screen on the townsquare. So I'm pretty psyched about that!

When it comes to furry characters, I just want them to be honorful and have a (dark) background like Fox McCloud, Rathet and Sly Cooper. Personality is everything to me when it comes to them. With humans my demand would be an alpha-female. Thats different from a manly-woman, shemale or whatever they go by now. They are the woman that break through the pink make-up pattern and as a girl myself those are the ideal rolemodel. I've actually been walking straight up (I used to walk with a curve) because of Commander Shepard. emoji

Wow you have a dedicated place to study games!? So do you work in a team to get it done. I work almost completely independently in my spare time, and am really bad at art so had to hire someone else to do my art for me emoji

But I come up with the designs myself, I just can't draw. Drawing and designing really are the hardest parts about making a game (that and fricken LASERS).

It's great that you try to find character's you can use as role-models, I can understand where you're coming from. I try to find what other people's perspectives on protagonists and antagonists is as it really helps me develop my own characters. What is most popular (often seen allot in Ratchet & Clank) are character flaws which are worked on throughout the duration of the game, it normally helps make the character more believable and thus people get more attached to them. Like Ratchet is known to be very insensitive and hurtful to Clank in ToD, but up until ACiT he goes through a serious change in attitude.

Yeah. There's 3 schools in Holland (that I know of) where you can study game artist of game developer. So far I've had subjects like 3D, 2D, development and drawing (with a pencil and paper. Remember those?) To be more specific it would be Maya, Mudbox, Photoshop, UV-Layout and a few small help programs for textures and etc. I'm in my 2nd year now and now can make use of a motion capture studio! Next year I'll have to work somewhere as an intern. I'll get my resime to Guerilla (Killzone), but I won't accepted anyway. Can always thry though, weirder things have happenedemoji

The change they made for Ratchet was great. Its the main reason why it wasn't my favorite franchise until the PS3. Personality is all for me, I can put a game away very quickly if I don't like the characters.